Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:57 AM
Alter Rostig

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
+1 for drywall anchors

I use them with my rifles as well. If there’s a cheaper and better solution I haven’t found it. Did I mention they’re cheap? Good to find something with this hobby that is affordable. Anschutzes with Leupolds tend to put a dent in the old budget.
Jack
Old 04-27-2019, 08:03 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a fine looking rifle, DrGunner. It should give you a great deal of pleasure.

The question of dry firing Anschutz rifles is discussed frequently. I don't dry fire mine and when I test trigger pull or otherwise pull the trigger on an unloaded chamber I use drywall anchors. They are inexpensive enough to throw away after a few strikes. Like empty cases, they are not good for repeated strikes on the same spot. For what it's worth, Anschutz itself recommends no more than five strikes on an empty case. (For anyone wondering where that comes from, see, for example, p.26 of the User Manual for the Anschutz 1827F, where dry firing is discussed.)

As many readers are aware, competitive target shooters use dry fire practice as a matter of course to rehearse the act of shooting without firing live ammo. As a result there is available a dry fire pin assembly for Anschutz single shot match rifles of the 18xx, 18xx, and 20xx series. The pin is a little shorter that the live firing pin. This means you can dry fire safely without the use of snap caps or something similar. Shooters using the Fortner action rifles can use the Anschutz dry fire adapter.

Of course, this dry fire pin is no help to shooters wishing to dry fire practice with the 1712. According to Anschutz, however, neither the 1712 nor the 1710 will be hurt by dry firing. In the manufacturer's words "The one-piece firing pin has a defined end stop area to prevent damage from dry firing." See http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index...5f62c062b16694 and https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/inde...=514&sprache=1

Does this mean that Anschutz 1710/1712 models can be safely and frequently dry fired? I don't know. Perhaps the design to which Anschutz refers is to assuage concerns shooters may have about some dry firing as opposed to a great deal. As I say, I don't know. In any case, as I noted above, I don't dry fire without a dry wall anchor in the chamber. They are inexpensive, can't be confused for a live round, and are readily available.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Hey folks- I finally got my first Anschutz, a nice 1712 with rosewood grip cap & white spacers on the grip cap and butt pad.
I have a couple more questions for y’all:
1) does anyone know if there is a specific model designation for this 1712 with the Rosewood/white diamond grip cap?
2) I plan to use this rifle for NRA small bore silhouette matches. Dry fire practice is essential for good technique with silhouette shooting. I do have a good number of Hoppes orange plastic dummy bullets that I can load into magazines to use to protect the breech face, but I was wondering- is it OK to dry fire this rifle on an empty chamber? My practice has always been to use something to protect the breech face from firing pin dings no matter what the Internet consensus is.
Just last year I ended up with a good size ding on the breech face of my Buckmark pistol, and I didn’t use it for any dry fire practice. The ding was probably just the result of dropping the hammer on an empty chamber from time to time after shooting or cleaning. I will not make that same mistake again.
3) Ive used Renaissance wax on my other rifle stocks, based on the recommendation of our late George a.k.a. noremf. Is it OK to use on the finish on this stock?

Here’s my new baby-
THANKS DOUG!!!!

DrGunner
I thought that gun looked familiar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 11:11 AM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have been using Tipton plastic snap caps with great results in all my rimfire rifles and pistols.

Gilbert
Old 04-27-2019, 11:12 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (231)
Yep, Cam, now on its third owner. I had it and enjoyed it for eight years. It's a beauty even though not a Canyon Creek. I think DrG will enjoy it even more as it won't be competing with five other Anschutz rifles in the safe.

Doug
Old 04-27-2019, 07:04 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KREEPY View Post
If you have any clean casings from your last outing, they work great just turn them a time or two and you’ve already paid for them. Congratulations on a nice looking rifle.
I have a box the size of a small TV full of spent brass and a tumbler, so that would be an option. I also have about 50 of those orange dummy bullets pictured above. I wonder if I could clean some brass and then take the dummy bullets that have the rim broken off, press fit them into the spent casings so that they would resemble live rounds and feed?

The hobby portion of all this is my favorite part – thinking of ideas, coming up with a plan, fabricating something different, and then tweaking it until it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJA8 View Post
DrG -As stated by several knowledgeable posters above, that is a real nice rifle and I'm sure it will serve you well!

Sounds like Doug may have sold it to you too??? If he did, I'm sure you won't buy anything in better condition SH - AND Doug shoots his rifles too so it should function OK - I got that right, didn't I, Doug?

Re the snap caps, I've used many of these over the years with only the odd one ever separating. They appear to be similar to what you have - Not sure if we get a different product in similar packaging down here in Oz.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...fire-snap-caps

Like many others here, I keep a box of empty cases for each on my rim fires in the ammo safe. I just stuff a bit of tissue in these and dry fire away or use them for trigger adjustments etc.

Regards,
Allan.

P.S. So refreshing to see a thread which includes posts by long time regulars who respect each other and are happy to share their experiences with these fine rifles.
Allan- your are correct, Doug was gracious enough to sell it to me. There isn’t a mark on it, inside or out. He’s a great friend who sold me something he wasn’t looking to sell, but knew I’d been searching for years for a 1712, and knew that I’d cherish having one so exceptional. Great guy all around, I hope to meet him in person someday.

The “Lyman” branded dummy rounds you linked are actually the same I’m having failures with, made by Pachmayr. I ordered a box of proper sized drywall anchors on Amazon last night... but I plan on trying something new as stated in my above post-
I’m going to clean some spent brass, take a handful of the broken dummy rounds, size them, and insert/glue them into the casings to make brass rimmed dummy rounds that will feed and eject. I’ll post back here with results.

And in addressing your final point – yes, it is awesome to have so many replies from so many long-standing knowledgeable posters here on RFC with no trolling or contentious posts. This place is often a breath of fresh air for me; It has been my honor to be a part of and to serve this community as a moderator for the last seven years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post
Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! I feel like I’m showing off as much as sharing- it’s nice to have a crowd that appreciates the beauty that is Anschutz. These rifles truly are in a class by themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Dr. G: I know this is a bit low rent (and probably won't work for feeding), but if you are just wanting to work the trigger, try a yellow dry-wall anchor. Like these at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-370326-Ribbed-Plastic-100-Pack/dp/B000H5WVCS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3UE9N7AXC2RKG&keywords=yellow+dryw all+anchors&qid=1556369088&s=gateway&sprefix=yello w+dry+wall+anc%2Caps%2C601&sr=8-3

Inexpensive, reusable, and durable. The "edge" of the flange will deform once hit, but I have never had one separate like the snap caps in your picture.

I keep them in my stored rimfires -- also serve as a nice, yellow, "empty chamber" check.

Dry fire away!

[Edit: I also have a Doug 1710 of the "wing safety" era -- fabulous shooter. I have used Renaissance Wax on it and that product won't harm a thing.]
As I stated above, I ordered a box of 500 of those yellow snap caps on Amazon last night, they were actually listed under a search for “.22 dummy rounds”.
I gave it a coat of renaissance today after reading everyone’s posts, and it looks even better if you can believe that.

Thanks again to all for your compliments, info and advice!

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 04-27-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:21 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Rostig View Post
I use them with my rifles as well. If there’s a cheaper and better solution I haven’t found it. Did I mention they’re cheap? Good to find something with this hobby that is affordable. Anschutzes with Leupolds tend to put a dent in the old budget.
Jack
Jack- you said a mouthful there. I am not a wealthy man by any stretch, but I do OK. I have two young children that will be off to college in a few years, so my spending habits are somewhat curtailed by my family life, as it should be. I have wanted one of these for 20 years, I decided I would probably buy one a few years ago when I started shooting NRA smallbore silhouette, but I felt I needed to earn my stripes in the discipline before I deserved a 1712. I’ve worked hard and now believe I deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
That is a fine looking rifle, DrGunner. It should give you a great deal of pleasure.

The question of dry firing Anschutz rifles is discussed frequently. I don't dry fire mine and when I test trigger pull or otherwise pull the trigger on an unloaded chamber I use drywall anchors. They are inexpensive enough to throw away after a few strikes. Like empty cases, they are not good for repeated strikes on the same spot. For what it's worth, Anschutz itself recommends no more than five strikes on an empty case. (For anyone wondering where that comes from, see, for example, p.26 of the User Manual for the Anschutz 1827F, where dry firing is discussed.)

As many readers are aware, competitive target shooters use dry fire practice as a matter of course to rehearse the act of shooting without firing live ammo. As a result there is available a dry fire pin assembly for Anschutz single shot match rifles of the 18xx, 18xx, and 20xx series. The pin is a little shorter that the live firing pin. This means you can dry fire safely without the use of snap caps or something similar. Shooters using the Fortner action rifles can use the Anschutz dry fire adapter.

Of course, this dry fire pin is no help to shooters wishing to dry fire practice with the 1712. According to Anschutz, however, neither the 1712 nor the 1710 will be hurt by dry firing. In the manufacturer's words "The one-piece firing pin has a defined end stop area to prevent damage from dry firing." See http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index...5f62c062b16694 and https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/inde...=514&sprache=1

Does this mean that Anschutz 1710/1712 models can be safely and frequently dry fired? I don't know. Perhaps the design to which Anschutz refers is to assuage concerns shooters may have about some dry firing as opposed to a great deal. As I say, I don't know. In any case, as I noted above, I don't dry fire without a dry wall anchor in the chamber. They are inexpensive, can't be confused for a live round, and are readily available.
Penage Guy- I appreciate you taking the time to post such detailed information. While it does not directly relate to my rifle, I always appreciate learning as much as I can about any firearm. It’s the wealth of knowledge and The willingness to share it that makes this community such a great asset in our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
I thought that gun looked familiar.
Camster – yes, it was once yours. While I don’t have a whole stable of high-end rifles to accompany it, I have a few. I always enjoy the beautiful pieces that you and Doug and others post. This one is currently one of the centerpieces in my safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis2 View Post
I have been using Tipton plastic snap caps with great results in all my rimfire rifles and pistols.

Gilbert
I’ll look into the Tiptons. Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Yep, Cam, now on its third owner. I had it and enjoyed it for eight years. It's a beauty even though not a Canyon Creek. I think DrG will enjoy it even more as it won't be competing with five other Anschutz rifles in the safe.

Doug
Oh yes- I’ll cherish it, Doug. As the EFR I plan to put on it is still a few weeks away,
I put the bases on it and mounted a Sightron SII Big Sky silhouette SIIBS6-24x42SIL scope on it last night. It actually feels more comfortable and stable on hold and then my custom Merier stocked CZ 452 Varmint!
Unfortunately, I had a range day planned today but was snowed out.

Respectfully,

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 04-27-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:31 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
best bet is to use fires casings. stuff them with tissue so that left-over crud doesn't get thrown into the barrel from the pin strikes
Q-tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
I have a box the size of a small TV full of spent brass and a tumbler, so that would be an option. I also have about 50 of those orange dummy bullets pictured above. I wonder if I could clean some brass and then take the dummy bullets that have the rim broken off, press fit them into the spent casings so that they would resemble live rounds and feed?
One argument I've heard against using spent brass or any dummy round that too closely resembles a live round is that it can lead to bad habits. Check chamber? Brass! Bad! Gun is loaded! Oh, no, it's just a snap cap. Are you sure?

I've seen but never used aluminium dummy rounds for 22lr that were blue and some that were red.

Be careful.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:52 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Q-tips.

One argument I've heard against using spent brass or any dummy round that too closely resembles a live round is that it can lead to bad habits. Check chamber? Brass! Bad! Gun is loaded! Oh, no, it's just a snap cap. Are you sure?

I've seen but never used aluminium dummy rounds for 22lr that were blue and some that were red.

Be careful.
Sophia,

I use 1-Q tip as I am cheap, and use it to stuff the tissue into the cases.

The aluminum snap caps were/are made by A-Zoom they work great.

And yes you need to use extra caution when using spent brass, but first rule of firearm handling are treat every gun as though it is loaded regardless of, if you are 100% sure it is not, this makes the best practice IMO. never paint anything (point muzzle) that you are not planning to shoot.
I was told/taught this over 40-years ago, it is when you think it is empty, is when it is not. never leave firearm handling to thinking , make it a muscle memory/reflex. it is always loaded!

Lee
Old 04-28-2019, 01:24 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I figured this would be better than throwing the broken ones away.
Something to use for dry fire practice while I’m waiting on the ones I ordered...

Old 04-28-2019, 02:01 AM
KREEPY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love to see innovation! So often we are told we can’t or it won’t work. Dr Gunner it looks like your on to something! Better get a patent on your snap/casings! Enjoy your new rifle.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:27 AM
silabs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dr. Gunner,

Congrats on your acquisition of a beautiful rifle.

As far as snap caps go, I think it is far better to use them than run into potential problems...I have been using Traditions .22/.17 Snap Caps...

https://www.opticsplanet.com/traditions-snap-caps-pistol-22-long-rifle-17-hmr-12-per-package-asc22.html
Old 04-28-2019, 07:03 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KREEPY View Post
I love to see innovation! So often we are told we can’t or it won’t work. Dr Gunner it looks like your on to something! Better get a patent on your snap/casings! Enjoy your new rifle.
Thanks! I LOVE to tinker. These were super easy to make. I had a 1/4” drive socket that I had cut a transverse slot in, using an air driven asbestos cutoff wheel. It’s purpose was for removing & installing front sight posts on SKS & AR15s.
I was able to slightly close the gap, then insert the plastic bullets in to the proper depth. Finding the depth was easy, the plastic bullets are formed with a line in the mold that represents the end of the “casing”.
Then I simply used a 1/2” drum sander bit on a Dremel to turn down the diameter of the plastic bullet to fit in the brass casings. A dab of Krazy glue & quick tap with a rubber mallet and they were done. Each one took about 30 seconds to make once I had a system down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silabs View Post
Dr. Gunner,

Congrats on your acquisition of a beautiful rifle.

As far as snap caps go, I think it is far better to use them than run into potential problems...I have been using Traditions .22/.17 Snap Caps...

https://www.opticsplanet.com/traditi...age-asc22.html
Thanks for the kind words & link. I’ll check those out- I often order from Optics Planet, their warehouse must be close to me because some of my orders show up inside of a day or two.

DrGunner
Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
DrGunner, I do love that rifle! Would you mind throwing it on the scale and giving a weight? I really think that is the rifle I want to get at some point, a beautiful squirrel rifle.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:51 AM
10ring1

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
Congrats on your new acquisition Doc. You of all people deserve it. She is a beauty!!! Can't wait to hear how it shoots but if it is like most other Anschutz 54s, I'm sure it will be nothing short of amazing