Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Joe A.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
red dots and stigmatism

My eye stigmatism distorts the red dot on my Burris Fastfire lll. Are there another reflex type optic that my stigmatism will not distort that's not real expensive?

I have one mounted on my Ruger Mk iv Hunter and while it doesn't seem to affect the accuracy, the distortion is very distracting even while trying to concentrate on the target.

Thanks

Joe
Old 04-26-2019, 11:47 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have astigmatism and have no problem with a red dot unless I don't wear my glasses. If you have corrective lenses that correct astigmatism you should not have any major problems, although you may still see some fuzziness. Keeping the lenses on the red dot clean helps a lot Polarized lenses also help to focus the red dot.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply. I will get an eye exam. Since I'm 70 years old, it's time for me to.

Joe

Old 04-26-2019, 12:13 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If the brightness levels can be changed start out at the lowest levels until you find one correct for conditions. Often if the dot is too bright, it will flare on the edges.

VH
Old 04-26-2019, 12:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Prismatic red dots are allegedly better than holographic red dots in regards to this problem.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
If the brightness levels can be changed start out at the lowest levels until you find one correct for conditions. Often if the dot is too bright, it will flare on the edges.
VH
THIS.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:47 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
All good comments. Just another one: your dot doesn't have to be perfectly round in order to work well....in fact, very well. Even if it is irregular, just put it on the target in a consistent manner and it will work fine. I'm seventy myself, and I've developed a bit of an astigmatism in my right eye. It doesn't seem to make much, if any difference in how well I can group using the red dot (Burris FF2, FF3, Venom Vortex, and several others). I've shot groups using my Win 1886 45-70 with a Burris FF3 mounted on it and shot just over 1.5" for five shots at just over a hundred yards on many occasions. I see an irregular round dot with a bit of a comet tail on it. I just ignore it and use the "center mass" of the dot and it works fine. It's not really as bad as you think. If you wear glasses hunting, and they are corrected for astigmatism, the dot will look good. Keep the brightness as low as possible and you'll do better with it.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:47 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a problem with that as well and have found using Aimpoint optics to be the least problematic.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again for all the help. Like I mentioned earlier, the accuracy with it is fine, just the distortion and ragged edges are distracting. The other day, the first time off the bench for me with it, I shot a 20 shot group with CCI SV at 25 yards that measured 1 1/8". Other groups was comparable. I feel the reason they wasn't smaller was the Ruger factory trigger which I intend to take care of eventually.

Yes, I use the lowest intensity setting which is a plenty for me.

Could someone educate me on the prismatic red dots. I know the Burris dot is projected onto the lens. My Burris MTac 1x4 the reticle is part of the lens, even when lighted and I have no problem with.

NoSecondBest, you mentioned your 1886 Winchester, I have an original 1885 High Wall which someone had ruined the barrel. I had it rebarreled back to original 45-70 with the original barrel script copy and applied to the new barrel. With it's tang sight, it shoots between 1" and 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Also I have a Miroku 1873 Winchester rifle in 45 Colt. With cast bullets it has good plinking accuracy, but with the Sierra 240 grain jhc it shoots 2" groups including flyers at 50 yards which I consider great. Past January, I shot a deer with that load at 70 lasered yards with that load and it worked great.

Got to go, going shooting.

Joe
Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Appalachained

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red dots appear as a comma shape to me. For precision shooting (as precise as a red dot is) I zero my rifle for the top edge of the comma.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:25 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachained View Post
Red dots appear as a comma shape to me. For precision shooting (as precise as a red dot is) I zero my rifle for the top edge of the comma.
I shot these groups at a measured 114 yards (my deck to backstop) with my "comma" Burris FF3 mounted on an 1886 Win 45-70. I couldn't shoot better groups with this gun if I had a scope mounted on it. It's not only a testament to the red dot, it's a testament to the gun as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WinMiroku 1886 002.JPG (146.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WinMiroku 1886 001.JPG (35.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg WinMiroku 1886 004.JPG (225.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Old 04-26-2019, 03:03 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also have astigmatism. I do fine with my glasses but it gets really bad without them. I love the red dots but have been switching to low power variables where I can adjust the ocular to compensate. The prisms are basically a scope with an adjustable ocular and a different internal design. Quite a few makers and they are designed for the AR platform. They are considerably heavier than a red dot. I have a 3X on an AR. They are available from 1X on up to 5X and possibly higher. They have reticles usually etched into a lens and illumination. You dont need illumination to operate them in normal daylight and battery life is shorter. There are several different reticles available including circle dots and BDC's.
I have a red dot on 1 of my AR's and with an absolute co-witness to my folding irons I can clear the dot up quite a bit using the rear flip up peep sight.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't know why I get more flare with one dot vs another. Aimpoints all give me alot of flare; Micros more than M2,3 tubes.

OTOH, Vortex Strike-fires don't flare at all for me. Try before you buy.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Prismatic vs holographic. Different systems. Holographic the dot on the lense , prismatic, the dot is in the lens. Holographic generally cheaper and lighter and smaller.