Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 AM
ASH556
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Do these look close?

Browsing around I came across the Super Stock section here and was thinking that my groups from yesterday probably are close to if not in the 1/4" zone.

Before I go through the exercise and print the target and get that rifle back out of the safe and dirty it up again, I wanted to:

1. Get y'all's opinions on whether this is in the ballpark or not
2. Confirm that my setup meets the criteria
3. See if there is a preferred target

The rifle is an old model K10/22T with bolt work and a barrel cut and thread by Que. Leupold 2-7x28 compact rimfire, shot off bags. Some groups were fired with a suppressor. The CCI copper, Automatch, and bottom row of match ammo's were fired without suppressor.

My goal for the range session was just to get a good zero on the rifle with 36gr Minimag HP's and then confirm where the rifle shot and how it shot with varying ammo's. All are 5-shot groups off bags at 25yds.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
With my old but educated eyes I see 8 or 9 groups that are 1/4" net groups... take a caliper with you next time.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:52 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A simple way to check at the range....

Find a 40-caliber shell. If it's diameter around completely covers your group - you are usually at or under 1/4" ctc. This can get you in the ballpark. If the edges of the holes are outside the 40-cal shell diameter - it's probably out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post

Find a 40-caliber shell. If it's diameter around completely covers your group - you are usually at or under 1/4" ctc. This can get you in the ballpark. If the edges of the holes are outside the 40-cal shell diameter - it's probably out.
Now thatís ingenious! And very practical. Cause I donít have calipers.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Hmmmm... just pulled out a 44 Mag casing and measured OD at .457 less .21 = .247 - not a bad idea Gents But I usually stress the importance and bragging rights of 50 yd. groups... getting a good read/baseline at 25 is not a bad idea however.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:43 AM
ASH556

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Hmmmm... just pulled out a 44 Mag casing and measured OD at .457 less .21 = .247 - not a bad idea Gents But I usually stress the importance and bragging rights of 50 yd. groups... getting a good read/baseline at 25 is not a bad idea however.
I don't disagree, but it's about ready access to facilities. Anything within an hour of me is 25yds. I can get to a 25yd range over lunch 5 min from the office. Beyond that takes away from weekend time with family and requires more planning. Not to say it doesn't happen; just not as readily.

Thanks for the feedback gents! The black on those dots is 9mm (.35") so for sure that 36gr MiniMag group that's centered up would count. Time to print a target and dirty up the rifle!
Old 06-14-2019, 11:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
I don't disagree, but it's about ready access to facilities. Anything within an hour of me is 25yds. I can get to a 25yd range over lunch 5 min from the office. Beyond that takes away from weekend time with family and requires more planning. Not to say it doesn't happen; just not as readily.

Thanks for the feedback gents! The black on those dots is 9mm (.35") so for sure that 36gr MiniMag group that's centered up would count. Time to print a target and dirty up the rifle!
Agree 100% - I have good access to a 25/max. 30 yds. indoor range that is super convenient so I do my testing/baselines there! Good on ya
I own several barrels that ol' Buddy Que did and they shoot fantastic.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post

Thats a good trick!