Fitting Ring Over Picatinny - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:38 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Fitting Ring Over Picatinny

I spent some time trying to find advice about how to get a too-tight Burris base over a DIP Picatinny rail, this evening. I didn't find any help on the net. My search skills just weren't advanced enough.

Lots of posters (various sites) pointed out that Weaver and Picatinny might not be compatible. Others pointed out that variations in manufacture might make the fit a challenge.

I fixed mine. One side of the bottom of the Burris 1" ring is split up the side. I was able to put a thick screw driver blade (Wheeler Gunsmith kit) and tap pretty soundly on the screw driver handle. This spread the side just enough that I was able to slide the rings over the Picatinny. I repeated the action on the other ring. Now both rings slide nicely over the rail and tighten up just right.

Whew, I thought I was going to end up with another set of rings or Picatinny in my whoops pile!

I'm posting this just in case someone has this same question and searches. I'm sure this is a commonsense thing but Purdue didn't require me to take that class.

I'm sending the Tikka 1X stock off to be Hydro Dipped (Under Armour Ridge Reaper Forest.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:40 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
You should have had directions telling you to slide the ring on over the end, not spread it over. It's designed to slide on from the end.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:42 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
You should have had directions telling you to slide the ring on over the end, not spread it over. It's designed to slide on from the end.
He did that but sometimes the rings out of the package are too tight to fit over the end and have to be spread a little, as he described.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:57 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes, I was trying to slide over the ends, both of them in fact. It was just a fraction of a hair too narrow. I didn't want to file, so I spread them just a bit. It was a bit dicey because the split side is quite thin, I think so they can be spread and tightened. I was afraid I'd break the side off if I wasn't careful.

Worked like a charm.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:07 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Just for other's future reference,
you remove the screw and put a flat blade screwdriver in here,

and just slightly spread enough to easily slide onto the rail. Easy does it.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:37 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
ol'shooter got it.