Ruger Standard Problems - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Jenkkimike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Standard Problems

I have a mid/late 70s Ruger Standard that is giving me problems. I'm pretty new to shooting in general and rimfires specifically so I come here seeking your collective wisdom.

The past dozen or so times I have shot indoors and it has performed flawlessly with the two original 9 round magazines with the metal bottom. I recently picked up two OEM Ruger Mark II 10 round magazines with the plastic bottoms and they have also worked pretty well but were very difficult to remove from the gun because the plastic piece was catching on the magazine extension.

This past weekend I installed a Ranch Products magazine extension and took it to the outdoor range today. The temperature was around 19 F.

Here is what happened:

1. The 9 round magazines worked fine for the most part

2. The 9 round magazines were more difficult to remove with the Ranch products magazine release than they were with the original.

3. When using the 10 round magazines, every few shots I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen. A round was chambered but would not fire or eject. If I dropped the magazine I could usually get the chambered round to fire OR eject it but only after two or three pulls on the bolt.

4. I did have the above situation happen once with a 9 round magazine, but for the most part they would perform fine. I was not able to even get through a 10 round magazine without the above situation happening every 2 or 3 shots.

Did I mess things up with the installation of the new magazine release or were the low temperatures causing problems? Or both? I am ready to sell these 10 round Mark II magazines because they've been nothing but trouble.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:22 PM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The fix for the 10 round mags is to remove the baseplate and internals and using a small file to create a bevel on the bottom rear of the mag body
(I’m assuming the latch is catching between the base and body like mine was)
Old 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay View Post
The fix for the 10 round mags is to remove the baseplate and internals and using a small file to create a bevel on the bottom rear of the mag body
(I’m assuming the latch is catching between the base and body like mine was)
Or equivalently, file a small bevel on the tip of the release hook where it's hanging up on the mag.

The firing problems were definitely made worse by the cold weather. Try keeping some loaded mags in your coat pocket until needed.

Other possible factors are a dirty chamber and/or bullets with thick, sticky lube. Those things always make full seating of rounds more difficult. Clean the chamber well and use only copper plated ammo in cold weather. Don't forget to clean the mags well before taking them out in the cold. There may be a layer of lube gunk already built up where the bullet noses slide.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Jenkkimike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was shooting Federal Auto Match which I don't find to be overly sticky. I am not really having a problem with the magazines catching on the base plate since I installed the Ranch Products extended magazine release.

This is was the first time shooting the Standard in such cold weather so it could very well be related to the temperatures. I'll do some testing at the indoor range soon to remove that variable.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:03 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Personally, I would sell the 10-round magazines and stick with the originals. Not worth the trouble filing the gun just to gain 1 more round of ammo. If you can't hit your target with 9 rounds, I doubt a 10th one would make any difference.

≡✪≡
Old 02-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Jenkkimike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've all but given up on the mark II magazines in my standard. I'm fine with the 9 rounders and only got the mark II magazines because they are still available from Ruger unlike the metal bottomed 9 round magazines for the standard/Mark I.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:48 AM
Larry in Bend
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 1974 Standard and all I use in it is the 10 round Mark II mags. I also had to install an extended mag release. I don't have any of the problems you list. My Standard stays in the shop year around and I've shot it in cold weather.

If a round has chambered, your mag is not the problem. Could be a dirty chamber or crud at the chamber entrance. Is there a deep firing pin indentation in the case rim? If the dent is more shallow then it is on fired rounds, you are not getting the round completely into the chamber or the firing pin is so crudded up it is not striking with enough vigor (this would happen more frequently in cold weather).

I shoot my Standard without cleaning until I have a failure and I then clean it. I can shoot hundreds of rounds between cleanings. I haven't taken it apart in 20 years because they are difficult to reassemble. If you can, I'd clean all the internals you can reach with a solvent and a toothbrush or a Q Tip. Drip some solvent onto the firing pin. Oil VERY sparingly after the solvent dries.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:14 PM
britbike1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also have a '72 std and just use the 9 rd mags, Never felt the need for more capacity. Just out of curiosity with the cold weather did you degrease and use nothing or a dry lube before shooting.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Strider
Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you compare the mag release on the standard with the MKII you will see they beveled the inside of the mag release "hook" slightly. I have made this modification on several and they now use the later style mag just fine.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 AM
valvestem
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by britbike1 View Post
I also have a '72 std and just use the 9 rd mags, Never felt the need for more capacity. Just out of curiosity with the cold weather did you degrease and use nothing or a dry lube before shooting.
I saw your post, and thought I would chime in on what I do. I use a CLP product that I have had on hand for many years called BreakFree. I got a pint of it years and years ago and don't even remember where.
Well, anyway, I use #9 to clean the insides of the mags, then use a q-tip to apply the CLP. it works down to 20 degrees as I can attest when I was having what I call mag-drag on the bullet tips dragging on the inside of the mag, causing mis-feed issues.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:14 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Personally, I would sell the 10-round magazines and stick with the originals. Not worth the trouble filing the gun just to gain 1 more round of ammo. If you can't hit your target with 9 rounds, I doubt a 10th one would make any difference.
This. I have a friend who owns one, early 70s model that his father had given him when he was a teenager. The gun functioned well, but had never been completely torn down and cleaned and he only had one of the nine round magazines which worked fine. He’s not very mechanically inclined and owns very few tools.
Knowing how much I work on my own firearms, gave me the Standard and asked me to give it a good cleaning and add some new mags. I did the above, stoned and tuned the trigger a bit, replaced cracked grip panels with walnut, and range tested it with the OEM nine round magazine. It ran flawlessly.
I Purchased two of the newer 10 round plastic baseplate magazines and found that they were nothing but trouble. There was a lot of testing and trying, several weeks of work and I eventually gave up and went on line and purchased two more used nine rounders. They function flawlessly, he is still happy with the pistol.

Sometimes when you try something “new & improved”, unfortunately only one of those adjectives applies.

DrGunner
Old 03-02-2019, 09:25 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I found on some of the aftermarket Ruger mags, the button that rides the magazine spring needs to be reduced in height. A little demel work or a file to level off the rounded top, and all mine work slick as snot. And I do have the aftermarket release on my 1979 SRA. I don't know if it will your situation, but it is worth checking your mags that work okay and those that don't. I even have one that holds open on the last shot. I haven't figured that one out yet....

VH