Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:42 AM
cwlongshot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
factory B-Mag stock work

Last night was a test... I have a few plastic stocked rifles that should be re stocked... But frankly I don't want to out the $$ into them. Sweat equity is fine tho.

SO, I bought some carbon Fiber rods and tubes on eBay for cheap. The plan is to hog out the forends and drop in these tubes bedded in epoxy for the added strength and rigidity. With OUT much added weight.

Last night I started on a Savage B mag as I have two stocks for this one. So far so GOOD!!

Was easy to snap off the ribs in the forend with needle nosed plyers. I trimmed the 8mm solid rods down with a dremil and dry fit them. Mixed some Devcon epoxy, then the rods followed by more epoxy. Filled to the top of the center rib I left in place. I did have to remove the plastic "tower" that was for the forend screw. But no worries, I'll re drill into the epoxy once completed.

This AM, the stock was cool and STIFF!! NOT much weight added either. I used maybe a 1/4 cup of epoxy. 2 minutes with a 3/4 rough file and the 2/3 high spots where flush.

Tonight or this weekend, I will fill the butt with something...Its hollow and also flexable.

Then I will install the action and bed the rifle to the stock. NOT a full bed as there aint really a "full" stock here. Rather, I'll bed the front of the barrel in front of the front action screw, float the barrel and a tiny bit at the tang at the rear action screw. This rifle as no recoil lug. Might need to go back and add barrel support as it is a skinny barrel...but that's easily don't later.

This was a pretty good shooter even tho a pencil barrel. Mostly I didn't like the flex in the stock. But surely this will enhance accuracy or at the very least be favorable towards it.

CW

Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-08-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:08 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good work. Ya gonna rattle can it?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:13 AM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Good work. Ya gonna rattle can it?
Probably... Need to address the comb height too, but that's gonna be last so its still up in the air at this point.

CW

Old 01-26-2019, 07:12 AM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well it worked perfectly... But seems futile as the stock flexes from the thin sides where magazine inserts.

Ooh well. No harm but few ounces added.

Last night I bedded the barrel ribs.

Popped it out this morning, Worked well enough. But needs second application and I havent dont the tang yet.

I took the dremil to all surfaces, re applied the release and mixed more JB. Its in for a second time!

Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-08-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:42 AM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Second bedding was the ticket!! Also bedded the tang this time.

Ext week my scope will be in and Ill test fire next weekend. Plus that will give this bedding a week to harden and completely qure.

CW

Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-08-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:49 AM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
cwlongshot,
I feared the 'wiggly giggly' would still show up when I first saw this thread. If the rifle does not shoot better, or better enough as opposed to the labor you have in it, there is still a bright spot.

Back when I first started building 10/22 clones my first stock was a Hogue overmold stock. As I progressed to higher quality pieces, both stocks and actions, I used my Hogue as a 'mule' to try different methods to make the rifles more accurate and consistent. Using the inexpensive stock as a test bed allowed me more confidence to perform the work on a costlier piece in the future. The little gun ended up shooting pretty good, considering the components is was made from, and gave me practice to make more professional mod's to higher end components that responded better for the work preformed.

Kind of like may happen when you decide to re-stock the rifle with a Boyds! I look forward to more of your mod's, as I am not familiar with the rifle, but am picking up my new one today. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-26-2019, 01:33 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Well it worked perfectly... But seems futile as the stock flexes from the thin sides where magazine inserts.
Some say a one piece pictinney scope rail adds to receiver rigidity.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:47 PM
doclu60

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
I don't think the OP was talking about the receiver flexing, but the stock flexing in the cavernous opening where the mag inserts.

Good point though. I got mine today and the skeleton they call a receiver is fragile looking, and I'm being generous in that opinion.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'm always a fan of using a picatinny rail on everything, rimfire and centerfire. I have one on my Bmag, got it from DIP Inc.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:01 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hey CW, good to see you still in pursuit and taking the challenge
If it can be 'fixed' you are the guy to do it!
Old 01-26-2019, 07:47 PM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ha, thanks man. Well Ill try to fix it anyhow!!

I have some two piece bases on it now. Hadent considered the need for a one piece. But I agree its more ridged.

Yea its the stock Im refering to when I speak of the flexing. Yes again uts the flex in the middle of the stock where the magazine inserts. The “sides” of the stock are thin and offer very little support.

I need to decide on what might fill the butt and not add appreciable weight. I think most anything would offer some rigidity improvement.

I have to say, overall the stock is better and with action installed with the new bedding its flexing less too. Those band cuts/fins offer many corners and sides for the epoxy to hold.

CW
Old 01-26-2019, 09:57 PM
doclu60

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
cw,
I have several McMillan stocks on BR rigs. Solid fill, Heavy Varmint, and Light Varmint. Obviously the solid fill is the stiffest, but the Heavy Varmint is quite stiff and considerably lighter than the solid fill. It is filled with foam, where the solid fill is all fiber glass.

An inconspicuous hole drilled into the stock and filled with your typical 'home foam' could do wonders. Please keep in mind, you should also have a vent hole opposite of the fill hole and there may be stiffeners inside the stock forming chambers. If so, several applications in different areas may be needed. Also remember this stuff expands, so a little turns into a lot.

If cosmetics are an issue, you can always finish over the holes....epoxy, body filler, etc.....and rattle can the stock with Krylon Fusion after the fill is complete. If doing that, make sure you clean the surface of any mold release that may be present from the factory when the stock was originally injected into the mold. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:49 PM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
I Ordered a 20 moa base today!!

CW
Old 01-28-2019, 06:43 AM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Unhappy

Thanks Doc, Ill try that!!

Shot the gun yesterday... New scope unexpectedly arrived early!!

I think I have scope problems... I am HOPING no damage occurred but I had to really crank the elevation and feel might be near end of range because when I adjusted Windage.... elevation changed.

Before I touched adjustments I shot two groups and BOTH where touching holes for three shots with 20G Winchester. BUG HOLES! like 22 caliber holes. I was ELATED!!

After siting and shooting some 100 rounds... last three groups where over 1" @ 50 yards for 20G Federal, 20G Winchester and 25G Winchester.

As stated above, I ordered a 20MOA base that I am anticipating gaining 20MOA from my elevation turret removing the "bind" I fear I introduced in Windage and thus, allowing Windage room to function properly.

I may be wrong, maybe, my analogy is all wet, don't know its speculation.

Any thoughts?

CW
Old 02-02-2019, 01:31 PM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I shot the gun again today. I took some time to clean the barrel well. Took 3-5 shots to foul and shot a 5 shot 100yard group.

One big change. This barrel never liked the 25g bullets. It shot the 20g Winchesters best.
Well, last W/E and today show a defineate preferance for them!

I decided to mimic a elevation change and elevated about 15-20 MOA. THEN HELD LOW to compensate.

I shot some on 250y and was able to keep a 4” ish group even with two mill windage allowance.

This is such a light barrel, I am gonna take advantage of the stiff forend I made and FUll length bed the barrel channel.

The darn UPS fudged up shipping on my base. Should have been here Yesterday. Left LA postal hub Monday.... Thursday it was back in same LA hub. %%%?!?! SO... probably see it Wednesday IF it isnt sent on a tour of the USA.

Ooh well, it wont be ready to shoot till next weekend anyhow! 😉

CW