Kudos To Remington - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:33 PM
hacksaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kudos To Remington

I have a 597 in .22LR that has been parked in the back of my gun safe for the better part of 21 years. Not because it was a bad shooter, because it was really ok. It sat there because the constant misfeeds and failures to eject were so frustrating. Iíve only kept the rifle as long as I have because my wife bought it for me as a gift for our first anniversary, so it has sentimental value to me.

Fast forward twenty years, and I buy a CZ452 and subsequently join this forum. I found this 597 group over the holiday weekend and spent some time reading about the magazine failures history you all have had, and how the 3rd gen mags seemed to have fixed the problem. So I emailed my situation to Remington yesterday and explained the history, the age of the rifle, and gave them the serial number. Today I received a reply from them with a shipping form where they are sending me a 3rd gen magazine at no charge. Howís that for customer service? And 21 years after the sale!

Now Iím looking forward to scoping the rifle and seeing just how good itíll shoot.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:10 PM
Brit101

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hacksaw welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your happy story.

I'm glad to hear that Remington treated you like your deserved. They have always been very good to me with my Rem. firearms.

Lots of good info. here, and I'm certain it will increase the enjoyment of your 597.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:59 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
If you continue to have any feeding or ejection problems just ask the folks here. We will get that rifle running good. Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:56 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC Hacksaw.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:17 AM
hacksaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys. Iím looking forward to getting this rifle back out of the safe. Iíve always been a Remington fan, and Iíd really like to get this thing set up to be a shooter - if it can be.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:12 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw View Post
Thanks guys. Iím looking forward to getting this rifle back out of the safe. Iíve always been a Remington fan, and Iíd really like to get this thing set up to be a shooter - if it can be.
If we can't fix it we'll get you another wife to forget about it.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:47 PM
bearman49709
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I first read your post I thought you where off a few years on how long you had it parked in the back of your safe, why they just came out in 1997 so they're not that old.
1997 man that was 22 years ago and I bought mine new in 1998.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:14 PM
ScottMisfits

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It’s nice to see Remington go “out of their way” so to speak to help make a customer happy.

Take a read through the stickies at the top of the page. A lot of good info in those. Some cheap, some not so cheap mods that you can do. These things can shoot, you should be happy with it.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:45 AM
Meekrobyyz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to the forum. it's a great resource for getting that weapon tweaked. Luck.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:13 PM
hacksaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, my new mag came in a few days ago so I thought Iíd take the rifle out and try it today. 6 fail to feed in the first mag and 3 or 4 in the second (loaded with 5 rounds)! The cartridges wouldnít even advance up in the mag withouthout taking it out and tapping it on the shooting bench, so the bolt could never pick it up to chamber it. Cycled it manually a couple of times and had to remove the mag, tap it on the bench, and put it back in to chamber a round.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:07 AM
ScottMisfits

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Something really seems off there. What ammo are you shooting? Take a butter knife of something and compress the follower to the bottom of the magazine. See if it catches anywhere. As much as it sucks, it may need a little sanding. If it's smooth down and back up, it's most likely something with your ammo.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kinda sounds like the mags aren't high enough in the receiver for the bolt to grab a round... especially when all the mags do it.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 PM
hacksaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Kinda sounds like the mags aren't high enough in the receiver for the bolt to grab a round... especially when all the mags do it.
No, the round was actually ďstickingĒ if you will and not popping up in front of the bolt. Iíve never seen anything like it.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:03 PM
hacksaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMisfits View Post
Something really seems off there. What ammo are you shooting? Take a butter knife of something and compress the follower to the bottom of the magazine. See if it catches anywhere. As much as it sucks, it may need a little sanding. If it's smooth down and back up, it's most likely something with your ammo.
Yeah Iíll play around with it at some point. I just stuck it back in the back of the safe and remembered why I only own two remingtons now, both for sentimental reasons! Itís kind of sad really, they were a good company!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:30 PM
ScottMisfits

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Out of the 9 that I have, all newer within 3 years, I had issues with one. A $2 spring. Nothing wrong with Remington now. Every company has product slip by that doesn’t quite meet QC. Just look at some of the stuff being talked about the nex Tikka T1x and CZ 457’s. Those are very reputable companies as well.