First newby post with first 10/22 build... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 AM
Bikerlaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First newby post with first 10/22 build...

Hello all, this is my first post 'cause I recently found a great deal on the new Ruger 10/22RB-Weaver set-up at a local gun show. I bought it to replace the 10/22 I sold back in the 90's. Long story short, I had been researching the IMENSE amount of upgrades and adaptations that are available for this rifle and thought I would give a custom build a shot. Every target rifle I have owned thus far has been a run of the mill store bought AR or Remington 700. So this was my first "shot", if you will, to create a purpose built target rifle. Now, I'm that total A.D.D. guy that will go completely overboard on a project if I don't check myself, and many times I went headfirst into a project, weather it be a car, gun, motorcycle, R.C. whatever, just to find out it was not for me. So this time I literally spent WEEKS scouring the internet, and specifically these great forums to pick the brains of those that did it before me.

The approach I took was to create a rifle with good, quality parts and a known history of accuracy and reliability, without going overboard and spending a small fortune on the absolute "best of the best", top shelf parts. If I really dive headlong into .22 target shooting, I'll build a second rifle.

So after reading and researching, I set out to build my rifle with a $500-600 budget. I knew it could be done, but from reading these forums, and seeing some of the incredible builds, I ALSO knew spending over $2,000 could easily be done with very little effort.

The barrel was the toughest choice. OMG, there are so many options. But every time I did a "best barrels" search, a group of 4 or 5 barrels seemed to always be on the list. Green Mountain, Kidd, E.R. Shaw, Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions. I went with the E.R. Shaw as it was one of the least expensive barrels that still received generally high marks. The Kidd was twice as much money, but will likely be the choice if I decide to build a true top tier rifle.

The trigger was easy. I wasn't going to lap in a custom trigger, and the Ruger Drop-In BX trigger @ $55, was right on budget. For a stock, I went with the Archangel, and VLIFE Bi-Pod.

So that's it....
Its just nice to have a forum such as this, where a person can find so many people that share the passion for this little rifle. Thanks for allowing me to share my build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0113191112a_Film1.jpg (91.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:20 PM
CDR_Glock
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks amazing. Have you tried it out, yet?

I like the threaded barrel option since you can add a Suppressor.

I only retained my original bolt and the receiver of my 10/22.

I have a Tactical Solutions fluted Threaded Barrel, Kidd Single Stage Trigger, Kidd internals (springs, firing pin, extractor, Rod), Magpul receiver and a Vortex Scope. T&J Tactical 22 LR Suppressor.

It was a fun project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-13-2019, 01:18 PM
Bikerlaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Have you tried it out, yet?"

No, not yet. When I bought the rifle I took it to the range in it's stock trim. No bi-pod, no sand bags, just laid the stock on an ammo can, cranked the scope up to 9 and shot a handful of magazines threw it, to get a baseline. Here's the best 10 shot group at the 50 yard mark I got that day. This target was with cheap Wal-Mart Remington Thunderbolt ammo.

Next time out I want to get some CCI ammo, re-zero the scope, and see if I can get sub .50 inch groups. Only this time with sandbags and the better ammo. I've read on this site that many of the .920 barrels prefer a particular ammo over another, so I'll try 3 or 4 brands till I find what it likes, and try to stick with it till I can get tight groups consistently. Even out at longer ranges.

Thanks for the props! Nice rifle you built there!
Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0113191347_Film1.jpg (40.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Bikerlaw; 01-13-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 03:57 PM
CDR_Glock
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerlaw View Post
"Have you tried it out, yet?"

No, not yet. When I bought the rifle I took it to the range in it's stock trim. No bi-pod, no sand bags, just laid the stock on an ammo can, cranked the scope up to 9 and shot a handful of magazines threw it, to get a baseline. Here's the best 10 shot group at the 50 yard mark I got that day. This target was with cheap Wal-Mart Remington Thunderbolt ammo.

Next time out I want to get some CCI ammo, re-zero the scope, and see if I can get sub .50 inch groups. Only this time with sandbags and the better ammo. I've read on this site that many of the .920 barrels prefer a particular ammo over another, so I'll try 3 or 4 brands till I find what it likes, and try to stick with it till I can get tight groups consistently. Even out at longer ranges.

Thanks for the props! Nice rifle you built there!
Neil

Best rounds to try:
CCI, Aguila Super Extra, Norma, Wolf Match, Eley (almost anything).

Old 01-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Bikerlaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
Best rounds to try:
CCI, Aguila Super Extra, Norma, Wolf Match, Eley (almost anything).

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, CCI and Wolf Match will be my first two attempts.