Bad grouping - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Jrauser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bad grouping

I ran several rounds down range today with my 597 and savage mark 2. On both guns it seems like the groups are all over the place until I start backing off the screws that hold the stock and action together. It also seems like they both preferred a faster round. I've tried about everything CCI has to offer and the ones that did the best were in the 1200 fps range. I haven't done anything extreme to either gun other than making sure that the barrel is floated and weaker spring on the trigger. Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Odd, 597's are usually quite accurate.

Try the action screws at finger tight plus 1/2 a turn aka snug not tight. Also CCI Standard velocity is my go to ammo to get an accuracy base line.

Good luck and wait to Al (member here) weighs in, he's the 597 whisperer.

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 01-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Jrauser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks like the gun has potential, after messing with the screws a bit I can usually get around a half inch at 50 yards but I don't know how repeatable it will be. I will try your suggestion with the screws. Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Odd, 597's are usually quite accurate.

Try the action screws at finger tight plus 1/2 a turn aka snug not tight. Also CCI Standard velocity is my go to ammo to get an accuracy base line.

Good luck and wait to Al (member here) weighs in, he's the 597 whisperer.
Nah, you're the 597 MAN Flys. I'm just a peon.

If you're shooting a a few 1/2" groups with hv you're on the right track JR. Check the float, or not, of the barrel. The majority of 597s seem to shoot better fully floated of a business card thick. There's a 'lot' of tips for tweaking in the bottom sticky IMA.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:06 PM
ScottMisfits

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Free float the barrel like Al said. I find that 25 in/lbs is a good torque for the action screws. It’s a little more than finger plus a half turn.

I spent some time following the tips posted at the top of the 597 forum. Flipping the trigger spring, I just finished polishing today, freefloating the stock, reaming out the action screw holes in the stock so the action screws don’t bind, etc. I’m far happier with it now.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:35 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Nah, you're the 597 MAN Flys. I'm just a peon.

That is HARDLY the case I just seem to acquire more than my share! My fav's are my first year wood stocked 22lr that I bought at Sapp's Pawn and Gun (now closed) it had been on the shelf for 10 years! My second fav is the AAC Threaded.

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 01-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Jrauser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed the front screw wouldn't come out of the stock without being screwed all the way out so I opened up the hole a little. I've already flipped the hammer spring, kind of funny, I haven't done anything to the trigger other than changing out the spring but it decided to go full auto on me once yesterday, well more like a 2 round burst. As far as floating the barrel, with both screws snug, I can easily slip a piece of notebook paper under it from one end of the forearm to the other and when I loosen the front screw the gap gets considerably more. I'll try guesstimating at the 25 inch pounds and give it another try.
It sounds like both of you guys are quite seasoned with this rifle.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Jrauser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It seems to be paying off, I was only shooting at 25 yards today off of the tailgate of my truck, with some decent winds, but my grouping was much more consistent. I gave a bit more room in floating and tightened the screws as you recommended, groups averaged around 3/8" with SV CCI's.
Thanks guys,
Jeff
Old 01-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try a washer in the stock for the front action screw to take out the 'tilting' of the receiver when the front screw is tightened down. Make sure you don't mix up which screws is which as they aren't the same length.
Your double tap is more n likely from flipping the trigger spring. Did you give it the bump test after reversing the spring?
Thin metal duct tape can be used for a 'poor man's bedding job' to tighten up the receiver in the stock.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 01-08-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Jrauser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Al, I put a thin piece of carbon fiber that goes all the way across under the rear screw where the action meets the stock. I still have a little bit of lift of the barrel when the screw is tightened down but not nearly as bad. I've seen were others have talked about using the aluminum duc tape, I'll have to see what I can learn about that.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2019, 03:33 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrauser View Post
Thanks Al, I put a thin piece of carbon fiber that goes all the way across under the rear screw where the action meets the stock. I still have a little bit of lift of the barrel when the screw is tightened down but not nearly as bad. I've seen were others have talked about using the aluminum duc tape, I'll have to see what I can learn about that.

Jeff
You have to get the real deal metal duct tape, alas more expensive. Your plain ole duct tape will just squish down and not add the rigidity of the realm stuff. On the sides of the receiver add strips until you can't get get the metal in w/o dislodging, rolling the edge of the tape, and then remove a layer so as to get it in. The taped sides prevent flexing and rocking if the bottom of of the receiver inletting isn't perfectly flat.
I have no links but a search in the SuperStock Forum should give you what you need if the pix are still there. Vincent was the man there when he was still RFC active.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Jrauser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first try at uploading a picture, not sure if it's working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190112_164740.jpg (319.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Jrauser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This group measured a bit under 1/4" at 25 yards, I think that I can be happy with that. I will still try the aluminum duc tape when I get a chance. I placed a lock washer under the screws holding the stock, seems to be a bit easier to achieve consistency now.
I don't think this group is too bad considering all stock parts are still being used.
Thanks again for the advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2019, 11:00 AM
ScottMisfits

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That’s pretty good grouping. It looks like you’re starting to get things figured out!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:23 PM
Jrauser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Scott, yes, getting there.