Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:09 PM
jdmaks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger 10/22 x ATI-AR22

Hey guys!

First post, first un-restricted firearm (Canada) and first questuon.

How would I add a rail to the bottom of the handguard on this stock so I can add a laser.

Also what's a good red dot for around $100?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jdmaks; 12-07-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:07 PM
MKivSupra

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ATI used to make this same hand guard with rails all around. i think it was a different piece all together though.
Is the bottom flat or rounded?
are there threaded holes?
Is the hand guard metal or plastic?

A lot of lasers and flashlights mount to the side or top to free up the bottom for grips or bipods. look up "offset laser" on google images to see what i mean.

As for a decent red dot in that price range, i'd avoid magnification, if you want magnification get something like a 3-9x40 scope, if this model of the 10/22 is anything like the SR22r i have it is more than capable to utilize the 9x for longer shots.

But for a reddot, without getting into the $500+ types, stick with a low MOA, I have a 3moa and the dot is just too big for a rifle. 2moa is nice.
Just my recommendations, keeping in mind I am only giving you suggestions that are also something that could handle a slightly larger recoil caliber like .223/556 as well so you can still use it on more than just this rifle in the future. Ive learned my lesson with cheap optics but these all have decent reviews.
for tube type reddots:
Cheapest option - Bushnell trs-25
Decent Option - Vortex Crossfire
IMO best cheaper tube reddot - Vortex Sparc AR (I have this one and think its amazing for the price)

Also take a look at the window type reflex/micro dot sights like the vortex venom or nikon spur. They often run a bit more expensive but they are so nice to shoot. I have a nikon spur on a 2 barrel 12G shotgun that i put slugs through all day and it holds up just fine. It is 3moa though and i feel thats not a fine enough reddot for my rifles

Last edited by MKivSupra; 12-10-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:51 PM
jdmaks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much for your reply.

The handguard unlike the older version does not have any holes and it’s plastic. I checked ATIs website and they do have rails available but you have to drill holes which I don’t want to do.

I’m going to take your advice and will be spending a little bit more on the red dot.

Sightmark Ultra Dual Shot Pro Spec Night Vision Reflex Sight QD SM14003

How about the one above? It’s got a laser built in too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 09:48 PM
MKivSupra

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd definitely stick to using that top metal rail over mounting any type of laser on the polymer. I have no experience with sightmarks but from a quick google search, it has good reviews and no reports of not holding zero, even on a 5.56 so a 22LR it should be fine. I'm curious if the QD mount holds zero when its removed/put back on the rifle.

The only thing i see is that the reddot has "5 MOA dot, 3 MOA dot with 50 MOA circle, 3 MOA dot with 50 MOA crosshair, 3 MOA dot with 30 MOA circle/crosshair" so 3 moa is the smallest dot, then again a lot of red dots are 3 to 4 moa. wanting 1 or 2 moa might just be me cause a lot of people seem to be fine with 3.

With the laser integrated it seems like a good option