New to Suhl... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:48 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to Suhl...

I am new to Suhls, but I am very excited about this one. I bought it at Wanenmacher's from Pump .22s (thanks, James!), and my research leads me to believe that this is one of the Jim Williams/Tim McWhorter prepped Grade 10 Suhls. The bedding--pillar and epoxy--is flawless, and the trigger is fantastic. It has an early Bill Calfee tuner, and I have topped it with a Leupold BR-24X. I'm just waiting for a good weekend to get out and shoot this one.

SANY2167 (2).JPG

Last edited by minimouse; 11-16-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:23 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All Suhl 150's shoot. They had probably one of the most accurate factory barrels ever made. I was told that before I bought my first. I would say that is in fact true. My first one I bought with original factory barrel shot very well. I was told by owner from MI that it would shoot in the .1's before I bought it. First group I shot after sighting it in to zero it did this so you can see for yourself what it could do.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:56 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It feels odd to look at that rifle and know that it was sitting in my home not long ago. I spent some time thinking it over before deciding to sell the gun, as I loved shooting it. But my club did away with the Custom class that the gun fit in, and I really had no use for it. I came very close to making a deal with Don Blue to have the gun fitted with a custom barrel to see exactly how much more accuracy I could squeeze out of it.....but my passion is factory guns....so didn't pursue it. Best factory trigger I've ever used bar none. Feed it some good tested ammo, and I think you will be pleased. You may want to fine tune the tuner also, or put the Harrel on there. For me - experimenting was half the fun.

I had the same exact scope on the rifle.....a Leupold BR24 that I purchased NIB from a scope collector at the Tulsa show a few years back.

Thanks for the compliment Flys......and coming from you, it is a great compliment.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:33 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will experiment some with the Calfee tuner, and I'll probably try the Harrell "wasp" tuner at some point, and I will try to find the ammo that it really, really likes.... But, like you, I like factory rifles, and I'm not likely to re-barrel it anytime soon. I don't shoot competitively, but I do like accurate rifles. As to the Suhl trigger, it is very nice. I also have an Anschutz 54 MS, with the superb 5018 trigger, set at 3 ounces, and a bench rest style Anschutz 14xx with the 1407-U9 trigger, set at two and a half ounces. I would rate them all about equal, but then I have yet to fire the Suhl at the range. I am looking forward to its baptismal.

Last edited by minimouse; 11-17-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:17 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I had Don Blue do a Suhl for me, threaded action and a Shilen ratchet. Put on a scope and a tuner with a Pappas noodle. Couldn't tune so left tuner on 0 and shot matches Fri. nite indoors at the Barn and outdoors yesterday at NEKY tournament. Used ammo I already had and feel like I did better than OK. John
Old 11-18-2018, 10:05 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Speaking of Don Blue, he smithed the Suhl 150 I bought back in May from Tommy on here. It has a Shilen ratchet barrel with a cone breech. I only have shot it once, and I didn't shoot but about 2 and 1/2 boxes. But I seen what I needed to see. It is the most accurate rimfire I have shot yet.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:00 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice shooting! I hope mine comes close to that kind of accuracy. Since I got the rifle, the weather has been very nice on the days I've had to work, and very bad on my day off, so I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Here's another pic:
SANY2183 (3).jpg
Old 11-18-2018, 05:08 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks good