Just picked up a 597 Magnum - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Does this sound like the typical jam that people experience with the longer case in the Magnum models?
Despite the issues, I really like this gun...I don't know why, but I do. When it shoots, it shoots well. I am impressed with the accuracy. So much so, I bought another one...but I'll save that for another thread...
Old 06-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Does this sound like the typical jam that people experience with the longer case in the Magnum models?
Despite the issues, I really like this gun...I don't know why, but I do. When it shoots, it shoots well. I am impressed with the accuracy. So much so, I bought another one...but I'll save that for another thread...
Your jamming of an unfired round is not typical. Perhaps a VQ extractor might help.
IMA Remington's techies are of no help diagnosing 597Mag problems.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I plan on getting an extractor and hammer kit from VQ, but I don't think that is it...it seems like a magazine issue (duh). It's like the spring doesn't have enough tension to reliably get the last round high enough. Reversing the spring didn't make a difference. I may try shimming the spring a bit to see if adding some preload helps. Either adding an o-ring to the base under the spring, or filling the top 1/8" of the follower with epoxy should give me an idea if that will work. I only load 5 rounds at a time, so I can afford to loose a bit of space if that fixes the issue.

Failing that, I have a few Savage 17HMR 5-round magazines here. They are about the same height as the 597 mags, but the spring is much stiffer. I may have to sacrifice one for the cause...

Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I only load 5 rounds at a time, so I can afford to loose a bit of space if that fixes the issue.
Load more rounds?
Old 06-08-2018, 09:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Load more rounds?
I don't want to push my luck, lol. Regardless if it is 4, 5, or 6 in the magazine, It is the last one that is giving me issues.

I picked up another 597 Magnum (NIB!) this week, so this one may sit for a week or two before I get back to it.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I don't want to push my luck, lol. Regardless if it is 4, 5, or 6 in the magazine, It is the last one that is giving me issues.
Might try stretching the springs before giving it up for the new gun in town.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Might try stretching the springs before giving it up for the new gun in town.
I considered that as well...no intention of giving up on it. I just want to inspect, clean, and mount a scope on the new one, and test it out first. The magazine for the new one is much easier to load, and the rounds feel more secure in it, than they do in the one that came with the used 597, or even the brand new magazine I picked up for the used gun.

Do you know if there are 3 generations of magazines for the Magnum, like there seems to be for the LR? The latest LR mags I have seen appear to have some type of coating (Teflon?).
Old 06-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try the new Mag mag in the 'old' 22Mag and cross your fingers?

I dunno the history of the Mag mags.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:53 PM
TLARbb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:

I picked up another 597 Magnum (NIB!) this week, so this one may sit for a week or two before I get back to it.
More than likely the follower in the mag is not holding the last round at the correct angle. Load 4, shoot two, pull the mag and look at the angle of the round in the mag, but remember the third round will be in the barrel. Clear it after you pull the mag. Look to see if there is anything besides the follower that is messing with the position. Feed lips could be an issue, but it seems that they would be okay if the other rounds are feeding.

EJ
Old 02-03-2019, 09:09 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

Quote:
I considered that as well...no intention of giving up on it. I just want to inspect, clean, and mount a scope on the new one, and test it out first. The magazine for the new one is much easier to load, and the rounds feel more secure in it, than they do in the one that came with the used 597, or even the brand new magazine I picked up for the used gun.

Do you know if there are 3 generations of magazines for the Magnum, like there seems to be for the LR? The latest LR mags I have seen appear to have some type of coating (Teflon?).
Any updates??
Old 02-04-2019, 06:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
Any updates??
Not much to add, really. The new one works flawlessly...so much so, my wife decided it was hers. Before I handed it over, I decided to try one more thing on the one that has been giving me problems. I pulled the bolt from the new one, and tried it in the used gun, and it worked. Perfectly. So, I need a bolt for a 597M...I have been hoping to find one on sale somewhere, but it looks like $300+ to get one here in Canada.

In all honesty, I bought a CZ 512 carbine in .22 WMR, and never looked back.

If I happen to find a decent price on a bolt somewhere, I'll pick it up and get this thing running again. It's a shame really...when it works, it is surprisingly accurate.