Pairing a Holosun 503GU Red Dot Sight with a Vortex VMX X3 on the 10/22 Breakdown. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pairing a Holosun 503GU Red Dot Sight with a Vortex VMX X3 on the 10/22 Breakdown.

Having recently finished a 10/22 bug-out/plinker with the Magpul Backpacker stocker we added a Holosun 503GU Red Dot/Circle sight. My son and I have been delighted with the finished rifle.

I was thinking of adding a Willamson Ace in the Hole Peep sight, however this was going to involve sending the gun away for a foresight to be fitted to our Pike Arms 16 1/2 stainless steel barrel. Now considering going for the Vortex X3VMX Magnifier instead to give an added advantage to longer range shooting out to 50/75 yards.

Had a look at various magnifiers at a ‘reasonable’ price. UTG has a cheap optic but one tends to get what pays for and the better quality of the Vortex and it’s stowage set-up seemed to justify paying the higher price, between $180-200 depending on the deal.

I am not sure however on a couple of things. We mounted the Holosun on the lowest mount and were very happy with that. It also was the more compact when the rifle was broken down. It would appear that if using the Vortex it might only be mounted in the higher position which will mean using the taller Holosun mount. This makes for a bulkier broken down package.

The other question was would we have enough rail on the take down receiver to accommodate both of these accessories? Hoping that someone on the Forum would be able to advise us.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One question has been answered by Vortex. The taller Holosun mount would be required in order to use the Magnifier.

This was not the greatest news as the height of the optic above the receiver effects the point of aim, and generally accepted axiom is to have it as low as one comfortably can.

The smaller the desired target/animal, the smaller the kill zone and desirability of keeping line of sight to bore as small as possible by use of low-mounts. ie with a .22 rather small game.

A general rule appears to be that the shooter should use mounts that result in a line-of-sight-to-bore (scope height) no larger than the kill-window of the intended target.

Fortunately the Magpul Backpacker stock provides a higher cheek comb which we now may have to use to keep a good cheek weld, if we decided to go ahead with this.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:51 PM
DeltaNu1142

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resasi View Post
One question has been answered by Vortex. The taller Holosun mount would be required in order to use the Magnifier.
While I was mounting to a cantilevered rail and NOT the receiver... when I called Vortex, they were overly conservative with their suggestion about ring height when I asked. They suggested medium rings and I went with low. The low rings were just fine. All I'm saying is... you might still be OK with the lower mount if all you're going on is what they're telling you.

I have no technical info to share, just that tidbit. They're conservative, and that's a reasonable position for them to take.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi DeltaNu, facing some of the problems and questions you are.

Also, was looking at a Williams peep sight as a fall back if optics were off the rifle, and then, if we did go for the high position for both, whether the peep and foresight would be a viable alternative/still visible with the optics still on.

The Vortex magnifiers does not have quick release mounts, and although the Holosun can, with both would be a conscious decision to remove optics and go with iron.

Yes it is reasonable to suppose that any company representative would go for an easy/correct response, but my feeling is that this particular one was simply that the Vortex magnifier simply doesn’t have a low mount capability.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:45 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not having much luck with this question. Bit loath to go ahead and buy the Vortex before we sort out if we will have enough rail space for both.

Was hoping that someone had paired these two optics on a 10/22. The other question was whether both will fit on a Weaver rail? I think the Vortex has a bar in the mount that fits a Picatiny slot?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:30 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I posed the question to Vortex and have received an answer to call them, which I will do when they open today.

The question I believe I should be asking is...who out there, familiar with the 10/22 takedown, can tell me, what is the longest section of rail that can be fitted to the 10/22 takedown receiver? (is it in fact different to the standard 10/22?)

The next question will then be, can the footprint of a Vortex X3, mounted correctly behind the Holosun red dot be accommodated on that length of rail?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love the red dots but have astigmatism and if I lose or damage my glasses I see a red blob so I went with a scope. The scope has a diopter adjustment that enables me to shoot without glasses if need be. The Leupold FX II 2.5x20 sits very low on the receiver so you dont need a cheek riser. Mine has a stock threaded barrel and is in a Backpacker stock. It will fit in the large sleeve of the Ruger bag. A couple more scope options that will work are the Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x20 and the Weaver V3 1-3x20.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:28 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JTJ I wear reading glasses, my son neither. We love the red dot and for most of the time it would serve its intended purpose for small animals at close ranges.

But as the calibre will take these further out we wanted the flexibility of being able to reach out to 50 and if required 100yards.

We have, and like the Holosun and just wished to expand it’s horizons.

I have just seen a photo of a rail mounted on a 10/22 that extends out behind after the receiver starts sloping down in the back. Interesting to see that someone has done that, but I hope to avoid that if I can.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:54 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Problem solved.

At the 2019 Shot Show, on now, Holosun has just announced its new x3 Magnifier.

Quick release, low or high, with two stages of flip...on either side.

The Aluminium body version will be going for around $200.

Will pair up perfectly with the Holosun 503GU Red Dot we already have.

Thank you Holosun.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:29 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The magnifier is now on order and should be in the store shortly. I have, sadly, found out that we will not be able to use it behind our Holosun Red Dot on the low mount, but will have to use the high mount.

As I understand the geometry of a high mounted optic, quite apart from having to have a higher cheek comb, means a greater variation in the impact point at varying ranges.

While the new Holosun Magnifier comes with a quick release mount and can be swiftly removed, not so with the Red Dot...and we have not yet got round to adding the Williamson Ace in the hole rear peep and fitting a front blade sight on the Pike Arms barrel we got. Quite a big point in its favour, apparently, is a much better/improved eye relief, which has until now been a point of contention with nearly all magnifiers on the market...and its weight. It does come in two types no figures yet.

I haven’t any experience of using the high mounted Red Dot so am wondering how much of a change we are in for with this new configuration.

Last edited by Resasi; 02-02-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:35 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Enough of a change to miss the target completely when sighting it in at 75 yards.

Put two rounds onto paper at 25 then went to 75 only to miss completely under the target.

Took a number of rounds to start getting reasonable groups round the bull.

Removing and replacing the magnifier afterwards alters nothing which is good. It has added weight to the rifle which was expected.

What I did find which was not so good was the Picitinny rail we got only had the outer two holes that lined up with the 4 holes on the receiver. Two screws in my opinion is not sufficient as the two screws had started to vibrate loose after about 100 rounds.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:47 AM
KDX0064

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You need 2 rifles set up differently. The bonus is that you can both shoot at the same time.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What I am doing now is looking into drilling two holes in the rail that will fit into the inner two holes on the receiver.

As this looks like precision work that I might mess up on, thinking of taking it to a Gunsmith.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:32 AM
Bullpup-one

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I picked a different option, 2 sights instead of 2 rifles. I have an integrally suppressed 10/22, not going to get 2 of those. I use an old leupold prismatic (astigmatism resolved) with the circle dot reticle on a La Rue mount, rock solid and repeatable for fast and fun plinking or steel. I also have a leupold 2-7 x 28 on an American Defence mount also solid and repeatable zero from on to off to on again. A different dot of enamel nail polish on my rail and on the underside of corrilating mount and they line up correctly every time. It gives me similar flexability to what you are trying for.

Last edited by Bullpup-one; 04-08-2019 at 04:35 AM.