Sako P94S Custom Project in Progress (Picture heavy) - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:29 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (231)

Holy Moly, Ralph! That is absolutely exquisite (though all the earlier descriptions and pics forewarned us )!!! I am sure you will be SO pleased to hold it in your hands -- and shoot it (you are going to shoot i?).

And I thought I had some really neat rifles...

Doug

Last edited by dbr65; 04-15-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:13 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Lovely, just lovely....
Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks, guys. The rifle is still with Ed LaPour for finally checking and testing. Once that's done, it will be shipped, but, with all the paperwork and delay that accompanies shipping across the border, it will probably be June or July before I have it in my hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (231)
Quote:
Originally Posted by South_Pender View Post
Thanks, guys. The rifle is still with Ed LaPour for finally checking and testing. Once that's done, it will be shipped, but, with all the paperwork and delay that accompanies shipping across the border, it will probably be June or July before I have it in my hands.
But will you be shooting it?

Doug
Old 04-16-2018, 04:57 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
But will you be shooting it?

Doug
Oh, yes! I don't have any safe queens. All of my high-grade rifles are for shooting.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (231)
So happy to hear that. That rifle is made to be shot, otherwise it's never met its destiny.

Doug
Old 04-18-2018, 06:45 AM
nail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is absolutely Wonderfull you lucky man. Steve!
Old 05-04-2018, 03:00 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sako P94S Custom Project Completed

Well, the P94S project is now complete, and I was able to take possession of the rifle much more quickly than I had anticipated. Here are some pictures of the finished rifle. For completeness, I've included a couple of earlier pics. Please excuse my poor photographic skills. For some reason, I can't seem to get the sizes right via Imgur. If you click on the smaller pics, they'll blow up to full size. The last pic is an earlier one showing the Talley scope rings--both 1.0" and 30 mm.

The original concept was a handy .22LR hunting rifle. Ed Lapour octagoned the original Sako Finnfire heavy barrel down to hunting-rifle dimensions. It mic's about .64" across the flats at the muzzle of the 21.5" barrel, which is equivalent to a .66" muzzle diameter of a round barrel. I didn't want to reduce it beyond that. Ed had previously cut a Win. 52D match chamber in the barrel. Weight savings came via holes drilled in the buttstock and along the barrel channel. Finished weight as you see it (without scope rings or scope) is 6 lbs. 13 oz.

The bottom-metal treatment is a refashioned Blackburn unit designed for the Winchester 52. Ed LaPour did all the necessary reconfiguring and resizing. The floorplate release button can be seen at the bottom, front of the trigger guard.

The Talley rings add about 3 oz., bringing the weight up to an even 7 lbs. I have two scopes on hand for this rifle: (a) a March 1-10x24 (shown earlier in this thread in Post 1) and (b) a Leupold 3-9X33mm. EFR lightweight. With the Leupold on board, total weight is about 7 lbs. 11.5 oz.; with the March, about 8 lbs. 2 oz. So not a true lightweight, but light enough, I think, for most hunting applications. The March is a fabulous scope and will likely be the one generally used.

All stockwork and engraving are by Bruce Farman. The wood is English walnut, and checkering is 24 lpi. Bruce pillar-bedded the action. I wanted a fairly full forearm that will ride the bags better than the more petite forends we see on some rimfire rifles--like the schnabel design.

The trigger is a Jewell with the bottom safety (to reduce clutter on the top of the action). You can see the safety at the top of the trigger-guard area and ahead of the trigger. I have the light spring in it at the moment, and I've set it to 2 oz. This will do for bench-shooting and ammo testing. With the heavy spring, it can go to 2.5 lbs. or so, and this would be ideal for actual hunting use.

Last edited by South_Pender; 05-04-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:10 PM
MRXT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL ..........Now where are the big bore and plains rifles that make up the set.......
Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A masterful work of art.
I usually don't use the words "elegant" and "rifle" in the same sentence. I'll make an exception: that is an elegant rifle!
Old 05-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Te Hopo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a stunning rifle, however those grip cap screws not been perfectly indexed would do my head in.

Apart from that, good hunting
Old 05-04-2018, 05:41 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRXT View Post
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL ..........Now where are the big bore ... rifles that make up the set.......
Well, since you asked....

Here is a 9.3X64mm. Brenneke (basically a metric .375 H&H) that the same team of Ed Lapour and Bruce Farman made up for me many years ago. They reworked a Sauer 90 action (the fastest and smoothest bolt action available), added a quarter rib, new bottom metal with a fully-hinged floorplate, leather-covered recoil pad as was the custom, etc. Zeiss Diavari 1-4 scope in Warne quick-detachable mounts. This was my dangerous game rifle for many years. The 9.3X64mm. Brenneke is just a great cartridge--a very efficient unbelted magnum that duplicates .375 H&H ballistics with a more modern and efficient case. My favorite handload was a 300-grain Swift bullet at about 2550 fps. Very effective on the nastier customers....

Mods, feel free to move this post if you feel it appropriate. The link to the present thread is the two gunmakers involved in both projects.

Apologies for departing from rimfire for a moment....

Last edited by South_Pender; 05-07-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (231)
The beautiful culmination of a long process; truly unique and spectacular. I'm sure you're very pleased. Now we need to see some targets with tiny bug holes.

Doug
Old 05-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations, Ralph. That is a beautifully crafted rifle.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:04 PM
MRXT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would be proud to to own either one .....but both......good for you.........a little green.......or MRXT