New to Knife Sharpening - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:08 PM
TomJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to Knife Sharpening

As strange as this may seem I'm relatively new to knife sharpening. My experience is limited to using a ChefsChoice sharpener. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point where knife sharpening becomes my favorite pastime. I just like to have sharp a sharp knife available when I need one. Most of my blades are short 2" - 4 1/2", primarily pocket knives and a few Moras. I've read favorable reports on the Work Sharp system and have a few questions.

What are the differences between the standard Work Sharp and Ken Onion Worksharp systems? Is the KO system worth the price difference?
Are both suitable for small blades?
What, if any, are the short-comings or disadvantages of both systems?
I'd be interested in any other information you can contribute based on your personal experience. Thanks, Tom
Old 08-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Zeiss Nut
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
https://www.worksharptools.com/compare-knife-sharpeners

You can read it over here
Variable angle vs 2 fixed angle to sharpen with

Variable motor vs 2 fixed speed motor

Wider 3/4 inch belt vs 1/2 inch belt

I would love the work sharp
But got a Spyderco Sharpmake instead
Love it .
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeiss Nut View Post
But got a Spyderco Sharpmaker instead
Love it .
+1 The Spyderco Sharpmaker works very well for my needs.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:15 PM
U_P_Investigator

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've wanted a belt-type system for a long time, but haven't moved on it yet. My daily light touch-up is also the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

My for-serious system is the Edgepro Apex. A nice little system once you get the hang of it. From the looks of it, the Worksharp might be a really handy deal.

Whether or not a variety of belts is available for the Worksharp would be one of my main concerns; many different blade steels require different media to sharpen them correctly.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:38 PM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought the regular work sharp model two months ago on Amazon for $69. A friend took it on a fishing trip with him and purchased one for himself. It is by far the best commercial sharpener I have ever used.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:39 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the Ken Onion sharpener would be a good General sharpener, but I wouldn't use it on any expensive blades or precise work. I think the Spyderco sharpener is great for touch up and a strop block I use them all the time. I also love The Edge Pro Apex the only problem with it is it doesn't have a way to index previously sharpened knives .This is where I think the wicked Edge has a huge advantage .A very precise sharpener that will allow you repeated sharpening of the same blade without having to recalculate angles it allows you to record the exact placement on the jaw and the exact angle of the blade saving you a lot of time for resharpening
Old 08-23-2016, 01:05 AM
mopardude318
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ive always used the Lansky Sharpening system, the Diamond blade kit shown here. It gets knives extremely sharp, in short order.

http://lansky.com/index.php/products...iamond-system/
Old 08-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Jeepergeo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, the Lansky system is hard to beat. Splurge and get both the stones and diamond sharpeners and be set for a very long time.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:14 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have the Lansky system but I didn't pay nearly that much for it, or I wouldn't have it. About $25 on the clearance shelf at a sporting goods store. It works fine.

IMO anything with a belt would get used at most once on a knife and maybe never, depending on how bad the edge was the first time. After that, depending on the blade and what's within reach, I usually use one or more of:

A 4-sided diamond hone from HF (200, 300, 400, 600 grit).
Another diamond set from HF (180, 240, 320 I think).
The Lansky stones, with or without the guide.
Wet-or-dry sandpaper (400, 600, 1000 grit or more as needed) on a piece of glass.
A 6" electric buffing wheel from Harbor Freight.
A strip of leather glued to a board and charged with polishing compound that came with the buffing wheel.
Files, grinders, etc. if the edge has been damaged.

The leather strop on the board lives on the counter in the kitchen and is used frequently on almost anything with an edge. Most of the time, it's all I need.