Remington Model 12C date of manufacture - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM
pete379
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

btw Welcome to the forum NorthWoods Outer
Old 11-09-2017, 07:28 PM
NorthWoodsOuter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:47 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
so mine is later than that at 840400 would that put it about '36 ?
Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 PM
pete379

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A square 10, supposedly production ceased in 1936 with S/N 831745, but there must have been several put together with leftover stock. I have S/N 836197 and I've seen others in the 840000 range. Yours must've been one of the last made.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:34 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
thank you , thats nice to know , makes it special to me , its a nice rifle that i hold dear ,
Old 11-15-2017, 02:11 PM
oldsquid

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Question Model 12A information request

Hope I'm in the right subforum. First time posting here.

I have a 12A which Remington tells me was made in 1911.

I have a couple of quick questions:

I'm pretty sure I should NOT shoot high-velocity ammo through it, right?
What are preferred standard velocity rounds?

The rifle is in beautiful shape; don't know if it's ever been refinished.

It is missing one of the screws that hold the foregrip/slide on, but I have ordered a new one.

Anyway, thanks for any info; I'm sure I'll have other questions later.

I'm still learning my way around the forum, so if this is in the wrong place, let me know.

Also, how the heck do I attach a custom avatar?

Andy
Old 12-26-2017, 03:39 AM
Woodsman1936

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Probably 1913

Hello Gentleman, (& Ladies?)

I recently acquired an early Model 12 missing most of the internals of the receiver and with a cleaning rod or ?? stuck in the barrel.
I'm not as much a collector as I am a shooter who loves to have good ol' American Made in my shooting collection and would love to bring this bucket of bolts back into working condition,
..so I'm certain I've got plenty of info to learn and many calls to make.

At this point I'll share the serial number and hope for a reply helping me date the rifle which I expect should be circa 1913...?

On the bottom of the receiver is stamped: 183677

And the barrel has nothing in terms of stamping other than:

REMINGTON. . . and. . .22 short, long
trade mark . . . . . . . . . . or long rifle

plus the long "Remington Arms - UNION METALLIC CARTRIDGE CO ... Patents..."

- but no trace of any other repair or factory assembly markings anywhere I can see on the top, bottom, left or right side of the barrel.

Any helpful advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if the receiver parts are available and if the barrel can be freed of the apparent cleaning rod broken off inside, and made to work correctly for le$$ than my First-Born?

There's one nearby for $985 in incredibly close to mint condition, but it's not a 'departed friend's handed down to me' so it doesn't carry the same sedimental value
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 AM
oldsquid

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman1936 View Post
Hello Gentleman, (& Ladies?)

I recently acquired an early Model 12 missing most of the internals of the receiver and with a cleaning rod or ?? stuck in the barrel.
I'm not as much a collector as I am a shooter who loves to have good ol' American Made in my shooting collection and would love to bring this bucket of bolts back into working condition,
..so I'm certain I've got plenty of info to learn and many calls to make.

At this point I'll share the serial number and hope for a reply helping me date the rifle which I expect should be circa 1913...?

On the bottom of the receiver is stamped: 183677

And the barrel has nothing in terms of stamping other than:

REMINGTON. . . and. . .22 short, long
trade mark . . . . . . . . . . or long rifle

plus the long "Remington Arms - UNION METALLIC CARTRIDGE CO ... Patents..."

- but no trace of any other repair or factory assembly markings anywhere I can see on the top, bottom, left or right side of the barrel.

Any helpful advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if the receiver parts are available and if the barrel can be freed of the apparent cleaning rod broken off inside, and made to work correctly for le$$ than my First-Born?

There's one nearby for $985 in incredibly close to mint condition, but it's not a 'departed friend's handed down to me' so it doesn't carry the same sedimental value
Go to Remington's website and click on the CONTACT link. Send them the information off your rifle. That's what I did, and they told me mine was made in 1911.

Good luck getting it fixed up.

Andy
Old 12-30-2017, 02:45 PM
steve99f
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SN 183677 was made in @1913 per Remington 22 Rimfire Rifles by Gyde & Marcot. According to the authors this information is based on sales records.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:20 PM
RSmith4098

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife just inherited a Model 12 from her dad. I was trying to find out what year it was made. The serial number has RW 141649 on the barrel it is stamped j/l. Any hep would be appreciated
Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 PM
wolfhowle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
dat

the 141649 is sn my guess is 1912
Old 04-02-2018, 09:31 PM
matoolie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello Everyone,

First post here and hoping to learn a little about a model 12A (round barrel) my aunt asked me to look at and perhaps fix. The rifle was my great, great grandfathers. I am a little confused on the date of manaufacture. The serial number is five digits, 88xxx. I assume this means it’s from 1911. Correct?

The serial number is on bottom of receiver and nothing is on the left side. Above the serial number are letters “R W”. I have read this means ”Remington Works”. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 04-03-2018, 10:31 AM
pete379

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yes, Matoolie, correct on the 1911. Also RW=Remington Works. It’s on all the earlier ones. Also welcome to the forum. I hope you get that old girl going. Ben
Old 06-09-2019, 09:48 PM
huskernut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 12-C Manufacture Date (First time poster)

This is my first post to any RimFireCentral forum. I hope I'm doing this right. In January 2019, my father passed along my grandfather's Remington Model 12-C to me. My grandfather bought it new when he was 12 or 13. He passed away when I was eight, many years ago, so I was never able to talk with him about it. My dad and I do not know when the rifle was made. From what I can glean from other posts, I think it must have been made in 1921. The first three digits on the serial number are 630.

After receiving the rifle, I took it to a licensed gunsmith to check it out and replace the broken bracket on the ammo tube. I just picked it up tonight. The smith test fired it and said it's still a good gun. I'm going to take my sons out and we're going to shoot the rifle to connect the generations.

Thanks for any information you may have about the manufacture date.

Gratefully,
Huskernut