Would you rather....cartridge choice - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

There are some states that only allow straight walled cartridges and shotguns for deer hunting. I have 357 revolvers along with a Marlin 1894CS. I also have an H&R Handirifle in 357. If the Hearing Protection Act ever gets passed I will get a suppressor for the H&R and load some subsonic 38 spl.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:42 PM
Jeff H
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hersch', man, if I only had time, I'd be happy to share the experience.

I actually started writing this up for a friend and one of my nephews as a bit of a "saga" looking for the perfect "homestead rifle." I don't even know how many pages it is now, but I've made something of an effort to try to document the ten-year project. It does contain some opinionated observations and a fair amount of profanity - not everything worked out as well as it should have and would require some serious editing to be remotely presentable outside a small private circle.

Where I am at the moment is that I've settled on the 357 Mag as the one to almost do all with - in our general geography anyway, and what to grab if I can't save it all or what to hang onto if I fall victim of an especially sour economy.

I should add that for years, I despised the 357, particularly as a handgun round, so it had no free pass getting to the status it has in my limited battery. I sold off a rifle (of a different caliber) recently which I knew I'd never get to hunt with - and WON'T pay the going rate for jacketed bullets for it. Besides, they quit making the bullets I preferred to use in that rifle. Sure enough, before I had the cash in hand, the CZ 527 Youth Carbine goes on clearance and I snagged one in 7.62x39.

Superfluous to my most basic needs, yes, but I'm still going to play with it as part of the experiment. If it came down to it, the 357 Carbine would still be the last one standing, even as much as I enjoy that svelte little Micro-Mauser and its cute little bottle-necked case. Already, it has exhibited certain idiosyncratic tendencies in terms of casting and reloading which are easy enough to overcome in my shop and with reloading and casting benches, which the 357 does not. The 357 is pretty darned easy to get by with loading for out of a "ditty bag."
Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 PM
Jeff H
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
There are some states that only allow straight walled cartridges and shotguns for deer hunting. I have 357 revolvers along with a Marlin 1894CS. I also have an H&R Handirifle in 357. If the Hearing Protection Act ever gets passed I will get a suppressor for the H&R and load some subsonic 38 spl.
This was one of the many reasons the 357 made the cut for me. The 30-30, 300 BLK and 7.62x39 all serve well as versatile utility rifles for me, but I can't use any of those for deer hunting here.

A 35 cal. suppressor would be my next/only further investment in long-guns. I wonder if they ever get rid of the stamp for those if the prices would come down?

In experimenting with 22 through 35 caliber "quiet loads," I found the 35s (38/357 Mag) to be the easiest to get the quietest without a suppressor.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:54 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
My H&R will likely be the next to get the chop for a suppressor, don't think I could get up the nerve to do my 1894 Marlin.

With subsonic 180 gr. loads it should be a lot of fun.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:26 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The .357 for me. Couple reasons, I can stop at any store and pick up a box of ammo and I'm already set up to reload it, thirdly, it's easier to reload for. I would have thought the .300 BO had more punch than a .357.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:12 AM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two 300 BLKout guns, one pistol and one rifle. Also have an old S&W 686. I would take the 300 any day of the week over a 357 Mag for any purpose. But, I handload for my 300 blackout so I can pick and choose what bullet/powder combo I want.

Big Pete10, there is really no comparison in ballistic performance. The 300 wins with all comparable bullet weights. At least 3 to 400 fps faster.

Only time I would take the 357 over the 300 would be if I had a lever gun and revolver both in 357 and didn't want to mess with another caliber. Even home defense, can it get any better than a 30 round mag full of 300 BO in a pistol format? Of course that's an entire different scenario with room layout, family members and such.