Woodchuck hunting with .22lr - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:54 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
I would recommend CCI Velocitors. I've chronographed them at an honest 1400 fps (as opposed to the usual 1250 fps), shooting a full-weight 40-gr HP rather than a 32-33 gr HP like other hypervelocity rounds. While they start out 200 fps slower than CCI Stingers, the greater bullet weight lets them catch up and exceed Stingers in retained energy after ~50 yds. My CZ groups them into 3/4" groups at 50 yds, so they should be more than accurate enough for woodchucks at reasonable ranges.
Right!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:07 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It depends on where you are hunting and the local terrain.

This discussion reminds me of the old PO Ackley vs Harvey Donaldson articles about wildcat cartridges. Somehow neither one seemed to be able to admit that they were hunting COMPLETELY different situations where the other's choices would fail miserably.

For example:
Back East.... Where properties are small and the woods are thick.. Full of hills and hollers... You need good knockdown AND something that doesn't rattle the neighbor's windows or disturb Ms. Jones afternoon nap when you need to take out a garden destroyer in the back yard... Ranges are short though - you won't barely ever need to shoot 100 yards - and if you do, you risk hitting the neighbor's house or out building....

Out west or in the midwest where you are shooting out across bean fields or such - you need to stretch out the range. Noise isn't important a factor - but it better be able to reach out past 200 yards...

Since I live in a Back East situation - I can identify more with Harvey Donaldson than with Ackley.... 10 acres is a fairly large property around here.... A single shot rifle in 38 spl would be almost perfect shooting subsonic target wadcutters or soft lead hollowpoints. A full house 223 or 22-250 is a non-starter for me, as they make way too much racket, carry way too far, likely to get the cops called, etc... The Aquila SSS is powerful groundhog medicine as are SV segmented HP's. Regular 22lr HV HP's work well but start risking attention from the noise.

But... If you are out on a 200 acre farm out in PA - a 22-250 or a 223 is probably the ticket.... A 7-mag would be fine too, so long as you didn't care about leaving a pink cloud full of hair.....

PO Ackley won the war for the heart of the shooting public - which sort of meant the death of fun-hunting back east.... I mean a 30-06 on a 10-acre woodlot? No way.... But the gun mags say that's not enough - you gotta have at least a 300 Win Mag... They will hear the report 5 miles away... And then they call the cops....

Last edited by truckjohn; 05-20-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I spent my time on family farms, back in North Central IL(Bureau County). We shot several big "chucks" every year with 22's. We used Power Points they were good to about 75yds.
The rare occasion we had the pump 223 in hand, was because we missed a chuck with 22LR. They wised up pretty quick, if they were shot at and not dispatched.

Im going to be spending two weeks up their next month and Im curious how the Mach2 is going to work on them. Im more interested in the M2 on those gophers, to be honest.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:36 PM
slw_stdy_sqz
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I got this guy last year with 2 hollow point CCI Standard. The first to the chest dropped him but when I went over to it the little bugger scurried off and I had to run him down for the second. Range was probably 25-35 yds.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:16 AM
Samuel_Hoggson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot lots in CT with my Anschutz 141, but decades ago. Believe it or not, shot many from the steps of an elementary school before buses arrived. They had burrows behind the playground.

Learned pretty quick head shots were best. Heart/lung shots killed them sure, but they died underground. Not much different than deer shot the same, except deer don't have a burrow.

The only other placement that seemed to anchor them was to punch the shoulders from broadside. Used high-speed HPs. Mostly Remington (go figure). Did that several times and usually found the textbook mushroomed bullet under the skin on the off side. Imagine spine was being hit, or at least concussed.

Those two placements limited me to 40 yds with that ammo.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:24 AM
ironglow
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in very rural NY..so I have hunted with both rimfires and centerfires. I look at it this way..when I use centerfires, and I am reaching out there at centerfire distances, I am shooting woodchucks..

..But when I am out there with a .22 LR or .22 mag..then I am huntingwoodchucks.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:52 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
Last week I was shootint 2&3" steel plates at 300 yards when a small woodchuck stood up right behind the plates so I aimed for the throat & he poped down & I think it killed him but may have taken a while which I don't like to do as a subsonic only has 48 ft pds of energy at 300 yards. I saw him the time before that but the hay is getting as high as the targets & he just popped up & back down about 8' left of the plates.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:25 AM
ironglow
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylo View Post
Last week I was shootint 2&3" steel plates at 300 yards when a small woodchuck stood up right behind the plates so I aimed for the throat & he poped down & I think it killed him but may have taken a while which I don't like to do as a subsonic only has 48 ft pds of energy at 300 yards. I saw him the time before that but the hay is getting as high as the targets & he just popped up & back down about 8' left of the plates.
You are correct of course, the .22 LR is running out of steam that far out, and a clean kill is chancy at best.
With a good hit, it can kill the chuck... but still it is prudent to hold shooting chucks to 100 yards or so.