Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:28 PM
oldbird13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Colt revolver question

I was recently "gifted" a 1st series Colt Detective which is nickel plated. I will try to post some photos with this thread. This gun belonged to the County Sheriff and was personally given by him to the gentleman (close friend and former holder of an FFL) that gave it to me. I was told that the gun was carried in a shoulder holster that was spring-loaded and held the muzzle of the gun with tension (very poor idea IMO) and thus the Colt marks on both sides of the muzzle were scratched/worn off. What a shame. My Father, retired LEO, confirmed that there were holsters of this type some time ago. I have heard many stories that in the past when persons charged in crimes were brought to court many times the presiding judge would "retain" the firearm and also at times the arresting officer could request the gun. Now the interesting part...the gun does NOT have any serial numbers visible. The man that gifted the gun to me said to weld the cylinder shut. I have not done that and would prefer not to. Would like to hear responses/suggestions. Can a firearm that has no visible identification be "given" and identification so as to be legal? This revolver has great sentimental value to me and will not leave my side in this lifetime, at lease not by my choice. Appreciate your comments.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:41 AM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Colt revolver question

It can be made legal by working with the BATF and getting and properly marking a new serial number.Keep in mind that there is a small possibility that they would confiscate it if it strikes them as fishy

Last edited by arjay; 04-30-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It has been illegal to remove serial numbers after 1968.
New firearms need to have serial numbers made after 1968 GCA.

As stated above, just contact local BATFE and they will assign a number to it and you will need to get it engraved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 09:53 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Colts have the serial number stamped here:
Old 04-30-2019, 03:36 PM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thank you gentlemen, was aware of the hidden serial number/model number on the crane. I will roll the dice and contact BATF and try to get this registered the legal/proper way.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:58 AM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile Can I play , too ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird13 View Post
Thank you gentlemen, was aware of the hidden serial number/model number on the crane. I will roll the dice and contact BATF and try to get this registered the legal/proper way.
You may call it a "hidden " serial number ,but , it was the ONLY serial number ! What is the problem ? Why involve the BATFE about a non-issue ?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVStalin View Post

You may call it a "hidden " serial number ,but , it was the ONLY serial number !

What is the problem ?

Why involve the BATFE about a non-issue ?

Agreed.

The OP's 1st gen DS would have been made prior to GCA-1968, which made SN's mandatory.

Although altering an existing SN is a no-no, before 1968, adding a SN was optional.

IMHO this is an excellent example of making a mountain of a molehill.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:59 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
All Colts came with a serial number, pre and post 1968 GCA.

If the factory serial number has been removed, can you prove it was done before 1968? No. Neither can anyone else. Any normal Peace Officer, would confiscate that revolver, if he or she had the opportunity.

I would never carry a firearm that had a serial number removed, without having paperwork to prove it is legitimate. The easiest way to prove it is to have the BATFE issue a new number and have it engraved on the firearm. It isnít a tough process.

How would a person justify carrying a firearm with an obliterated or removed serial number. There is only one logical reason for removing a serial number and that is why the 1968 GCA made it illegal.

We arenít talking about firearms that never had a serial number.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:38 AM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile Again ?

One more time : If the serial number is as olshooter's photo , that is the only number. There was no requirement that the number be "visible" . I've got a couple of High Standards that need to be disassembled to read the number ! Please don't ruin the piece by welding or deface it with extraneous numbers .
Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 PM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Gentlemen, the friend that gifted me this gun was a former FFL holder and personally knew the Sherriff that gave him his gun. A lot of history with this gun and the friend told me I should weld the cylinder closed so that if the situation arose it would not be deemed a usable firearm with no/removed serial number. I wanted to be able to keep and shoot this fine gun and was trying to do the right thing as far as the law/regulations were concerned. I received a call from a BATFE agent that asked for the photos of the gun that I have taken. Since I own many other firearms I did not want to jeopardize my right to own and keep them due to a possible violation with this gun. Was in Pensacola, FL recently to view the Blue Angels practice session on the base flight deck. A sign at the armed gate asked about firearms. I declared and had to go to a nearby gun shop that has lockers to hold while you visit the base/Museum. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:29 AM
noelekal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does your Colt acquisition have a serial number located on the inside of the frame beneath the crane in the same manner as is illustrated in Post No. 4 kindly provided by 'ol shooter?

If it does then consider it to be the legal serial number. You can own and shoot that fine gun Don't mess up by welding the revolver shut. No Colt Detective Special of the era came from the factory with a serial number roll marked on exterior surfaces.

If no serial number is present there then it is already messed up.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 PM
paulo57509

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As others have stated, all Colt DA revolvers have the serial number stamped in two places; on the frame as in the photo previously posted and on the crane.

Yes, please post photos.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:41 PM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Honestly I don't see what the big deal is. Just enjoy the revolver, serial number or not. Shoot the snot out of it. Welding the cylinder shut does absolutely nothing for anybody, that right there is ridiculous advice.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:07 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
just a comment.

If you dont find the s/n you may want to consider that maybe the plating was done after the fact that the s/n were plated over or removed by the refinishing process.