.222 Seating Depth Test - when it works, it works - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Newman View Post
Flangster, I believe you own a Savage Model 112 BT (Benchrest/Target) with the factory laminated wood stock and adjustable check piece. It is a single shot rifle, correct? I own basically the same rifle, with a factory Choate tupperware stock, without the adjustable cheekpiece and with a blind, 5 shot internal magazine; Model 110FP. The FP was one of the first rifles Savage produced to try to get into the beginning of the "tactical" era and geared towards police marksmen/snipers. Both our rifles have identical actions and were made sometime back in either the very late 1980's or early 1990's, long before the Accutrigger ever existed; at that point in time they didn't produce a dedicated short action and used the long action 110 based receiver for everything, though they had offered a shorter action, once previously. They used a baffle with the bolt head and a spacer in the magazine on repeaters to overcome feeding and ejecting issues. with shorter length cartridges. Like yours was originally, mine is in .223 Rem., though they offered both our models in .308 and .300 Win. Mag. I have also seen another 110FP in .30-06. A very popular powder used to set many BR records with the .222 in it's heyday that is still viable today is Win. 748. With any high quality 50, 52, or 53 grain flat base match bullet, you should have stellar accuracy using it, especially neck sizing only. A previous poster suggested weight sorting your fully prepped brass...a very good idea on a small powder capacity cartridge like the .222. Just 1 grain difference in the empty brass will alter the internal volume available inside the case. Have fun with the accurate .222!

I actually have a couple of platforms that I am playing with. The subject of this thread is indeed as you describe. I also have a Left Port version with a Douglas barrel on it and the two are neck and neck for accuracy. And inspired by those two I recently bought a Wichita action single shot in a BR stock. It is a funny design -- the bolt has no ejector. You pull the bolt back and the spent cartridge is just sitting there, waiting for you to pluck it out. The barrel is a Bartlein (sp?) and shows real promise. Just an amazing cartridge.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:03 PM
so-so-shot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Remington 700 with a Shilen #7 LV SS 22 select match barrel. Shilen blueprinted the action and chambered it with a .246 neck. My best loads have been using Lapua brass, VV-N133 powder, and 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips just kissing the lands. My very best 5 shot group was .161 at 100 yards. 90% of the time it shoots in the .2s . Being a tight neck gun I have to turn all of the case necks, but it has very good case life. I use Wilson dies in a Sinclair arbor press to load the rounds.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by so-so-shot View Post
I use Wilson dies in a Sinclair arbor press to load the rounds.
I have a Wilson seating die as well. Runout is routinely tiny using this set up. The dies aren't intended to produce mass quantities of ammunition quickly, but boy has the quality of my completed rounds gone up since I started using it.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:47 PM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Flangster, the very high quality Wichita action you have was very popular in short range (100 and 200 yard) benchrest. You should get extremely good accuracy results with it if the barrel/chamber are as well machined as it is. Regarding those older Savage 110 specialty models, they seem to have had particularly accurate heavy factory barrels, very precise headspace, and even had adjustable factory triggers, while the standard production models did not. Depending on the exact vintage, I believe your laminated stock version may have factory pillars installed, too. If you have the stock off, you can check for the adjustable trigger your 112 should have. Try the Winchester 748 powder for consistent results like this...https://imgur.com/68AMjV0 . The .222 established the standard for short range benchrest accuracy, until slightly surpassed by the 6PPC. Even today, a well tuned and driven .222 can run close with the PPC.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 04-24-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 PM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
l though l was done with reloading, sold all my centerfire rifles in the last 3 years, but thanks to my brother in back into it, he said l have to much time on my hands and you need something to do, so he hands me a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 223 26" SS barrel 1-12 twist
l just made a quick and easy to use test gauge to test overall length with the bullet that you want to use in the rifle you are loading for or any other rifle that you have in that caliber, as you know the chamber is different from one rifle to another.

So here is what l made, had a .224 chucking reamer a fired case from my 223, l de-primed the case.

Put the case in my lath drilled out the primer pocket with .221 drill bit, then put the .224 reamer into the chuck in the tailstock and line bored the case.

So now l have a tight slip fit case month, start bullet into the case by hand then chamber the round now you have an overall length for that head once it touches the lads, easy you can jump from 50/53/55/60g heads in no time, reset your bullet seater and you're on your way beats sooting the head of the bullet.

Did a hundred round of 223 had no data first time shooting a 223, so it was a fresh start, would have taken a long time to load with all the heads l wanted to use. Did the benchrest thing in the mid-70s for 5 years.

Hope this is of help it was for me.

For this rifle. l konw the bench is a mess.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Neat idea. You use the drill bit to find the lands, or you push a bullet through the case mouth until it jams?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:34 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks to threads like this I am really getting fired up about CF again. I have reloaded for right around 32 years but for hunting not bench. Now sitting at the bench is more of a focus so am trying to refine things a little more especially with my youngest son showing some interest. 2 of the main candidates are a 788 in 222 and a 722 in 222 Rem Mag, may be a 722 in 222 coming soon if somebody doesn't get on the stick and buy it first. We are also working on some 223 and 6mm but they take a back seat to the triple deuce. I loaded 4 different powders and several weight bullets last week in my magnum, I am thinking the 40 grainers may be where I am headed, never shot them in the 222 before so may have to go back to the table on that.

Great thing is, I could take about any load that I have played with so far and it would be more accurate than some people shoot. That was not a slam to others just a testament to the accuracy of the round. I have a bunch more test rounds loaded and these are my top powder choices for the 222 so we will see what this next week of weather and shooting brings. Bad thing is I feel a dedicated bench rifle coming, does anyone build 222's anymore? Thanks a lot guys for getting me thinking about another project. Lol

Keep it up, this is a good thread.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 AM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Neat idea. You use the drill bit to find the lands, or you push a bullet through the case mouth until it jams?
Once l have drilled out the primer pocket and reamed the neck there are no more tools involved.

l push the base of the bullet into the neck from the top of the cartage by hand maybe 1/8 of an inch (slip fit) just enough to hold it in place, then l feed it by hand into the chamber and close the bolt done, you now have your OAL for that given bullet head.

The hole where the primer was l put there so l could push the bullet out from the back end of the case by hand with wood or alum. dowel comes out easily it's just a slip fit into the neck better than using slap hammer.

Those are not landmarks on the side of the bullets in the picture those are marks from slipping in and out of the case mouth.

Hope that clears thing up.