Trigger device, fire when squeezed and released - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:16 PM
kevinqjhps
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I do remember those. It was (or seemed) 30 years ago. I did NOT see one in person but remember seeing the adds for them in the gun rags. IF you were a responsible owner, safety wouldn't be an issue,but I could see where a 'range idiot' could be dangerous using one.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:36 PM
gunsmokeer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ATF, with the blessing of the NRA and the Trump administration, has published an administrative law rule banning bumpfire or slidefire stocks as being full auto conversion parts. And since they're all made after 1986, they can't be registered with an NFA tax paid. As of the spring of 2019 they will be declared illegal and it will be a felony to possess one, even if it's not installed on any gun.

Now, that doesn't bother me much. Because ATF has it right that these bump-fire or slide-fire stocks have the effect of letting you consciously pull the trigger one time and the gun will keep shooting as long as you hold the "trigger" (or the trigger -like ledge or shelf used to brace your trigger finger).

But ATF's published decision, its thought process, boils down to the idea that it just makes the gun shoot too fast without you the user having to take special and deliberate steps to keep it shooting. The "steps" you take unconsciously without pulling and releasing the trigger using your muscles for each individual shot are what gets these banned.

I don't see the same reasoning having any application to binary triggers.
You intentionally pull the trigger. You intentionally release the trigger. Each is its own action, and each gives you one shot.

As for trigger-cranks, like the BMF Activator that I've had for years (decades, going back to the middle 1980s!) it has to be cranked by hand constantly. If you stop cranking it, it stops shooting. Each 1/4 turn of the crank gives 1 shot. So you have to manually pull the lever through a 90-degree arc to make the second shot follow the first shot.

I think those will remain legal, too.

Plus, we know that Congress knew about Gatling guns, which were invented in the 1870s, when they passed the NFA in the 1930s. If they wanted to ban hand-crank operated guns that fired rapidly, they could have. They did not.

But a bump fire or slide fire stock is something Congress couldn't have predicted or contemplated back then.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:32 PM
chillypepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
The hell fire does not work as a binary trigger. It is simply an early bumpfire device.

FTR you do not need any gadget at all to bumpfire a semi. the gadgets only make it easier for most folks to do it.

Also, other examples of early bumpfire devices you may want to avoid being in possession of are rubber bands or extra shoe laces.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 PM
Acer Ace

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen video where a binary triggered AR-15 is actually FASTER than a full-auto M4

If they made something like this for the Ruger 10/22, I imagine we'd IMMEDIATELY go back into an ammo shortage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcLGRZfX5C0