Cheap Red Dots - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 AM
Mmorton9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cheap Red Dots

Does anyone have exerience with the cheap red dots? Have never used one but was thinking about it. I know most are probably junk. You get what you pay for. Still, to just try one to play with I would start out with one if anyone can recommend one. Thanks
Old 05-17-2019, 10:00 AM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cheap Tasco red dot on my Neos works great and never loses zero. Trouble free for 7 years so far. The only disadvantage is that the dot size is 5 MOA but that is fine on a .22 pistol where you shoot at or under 50 yards. If you are willing to pay a bit more, you can get a Bushnell TRS-25 which has a 3 MOA dot.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:07 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up NCstar reflex red dot

I have 2 of these, owned them 5+ years, no complaints or problems, under 50.00 on ebay, "lifetime warranty". I hear people complain that this style red dot wont hold zero, that is NOT true. read the instructions, people, there are zero lock screws built in, loosen them, adjust to zero , and RE TIGHTEN the lock screws. I have no trouble loosing zero with either of mine. I have one of these reflex style that has green and red choices of reticules ,and 4 different styles of reticules. I am 74, and iron sights just do not work well for my eyes, the red dot has brought shooting pleasure back to me !
Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have several Bushnell TRS 25's and they have never let me down. 3 MOA dot and about 3k hrs battery life. They can be found under $60.
I have been looking at the AT3 RD-50 Pro. Supposed to have up to 50k hrs battery life. About $100.
https://www.at3tactical.com/products...BoC7CUQAvD_BwE
I have tried a few cheaper red dots and never had good luck. The TRS 25 is as cheap as I will go. I also have several Holosuns and a Sig Romeo but they were a lot more money. What stops me on the AT3 is I can get a lower end Holosun or Sig for not much more.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Samuel_Hoggson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also had good luck with the Tasco dot. Think I paid something like $35 20 years ago or so. Didn't find the 5 MOA dot to be that much of a handicap within typical .22rf distances. It held up fine on 10/22s over both years and many rounds of high-speed bulk.

Can't say the same for similarly priced scopes that uniformly suffered wandering zero.

Battery life on the Tascos is not Aimpoint-like, but you probably know that.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 PM
jac54
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one for $50 dollars about 6 months ago. The sight has red and green capabilities. It also has several different styles of sights. It holds zero and the dots are 2 mils. Mounted it on my S+W Victory and with the right ammo shoots 1.5" @ 25yds. I say go for it, you will probably be positively surprised.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:42 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
take a look at the old tasco propoints

Not the new ones, they are not that good.

Look for the old tasco propoints that use a 1/3N battery. battery looks like a thick pencil eraser. The orginals had a battery tube and rheostat mounted on the side which makes mounting a bit tricky but they are awesome. some of the less newer ones have what appears to be four turrets, two one the top, and two on the left side. The two on the left side are for on/off/intensity and elevation adjustment. the two on the top are the battery compartment and elevation adjustments. Personally I like the battery tube mounted on the side which makes rheostat adjustment easy and convenient although it gets difficult to mount it if the rings are too close together. They require 30 mm scope rings.

What makes these so desirable is that the red dot scope functions perfectly with good tracking and that with the 1/3N battery they will not die if you forget to turn the battery off. I cannot perceive any negative magnification which bothers me with the ultra dot scopes that I own.

While I would not consider them to be the equal of the aimpoints that I own, they are the equal of the ultra dots, if not a bit superior.

Be patient, they can be found on ebay rather frequently.

A huge step up from the discount scopes you get new for the same price.

regards,
Cranky

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com

Last edited by crankythunder; 05-17-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer
Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have three AT3's RD-50, which appear to be American Tactical's copy of the Bushnell TRS 25. The main difference appears to be that the dot is 2 MOA instead of 3. I really like 'em. They are rock solid, have great battery life, are water proof, and not that large. $75 delivered, if you have Amazon Prime. Unlike other tube sights, like the Ultradot, the AT3 attaches with one screw directly to a rail. No rings needed.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have several Bushnell TRS 25's and they have never let me down. 3 MOA dot and about 3k hrs battery life. They can be found under $60.
I have been looking at the AT3 RD-50 Pro. Supposed to have up to 50k hrs battery life. About $100.
https://www.at3tactical.com/products...BoC7CUQAvD_BwE
I have tried a few cheaper red dots and never had good luck. The TRS 25 is as cheap as I will go. I also have several Holosuns and a Sig Romeo but they were a lot more money. What stops me on the AT3 is I can get a lower end Holosun or Sig for not much more.
+1 on Bushnell TRS25.

Ive had many red dot sights over the years made by Ultradot, Burris (FastFire II & III), Mueller, and Bushnell. For quality and value, I would definitely recommend the TRS 25 hands down. The only drawback I can see is the dot size Of the older models which was 4MOA IIRC, current production which has been the same for several years is 3MOA which works fine for most purposes.

FYI if you happen to have astigmatism that is not corrected, you can expect to see a red blob, not a dot- which would be the same for any holographic or reflected dot optic, regardless of cost/quality.

Hope this helps-

DrGunner
Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Mmorton9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the opinions. Have not bought one yet as a friend gave me a TruGlo reflex unit. 5 settings red and 5 settings green. Don’t know if I like it or not. When on the higher settings it does not appear as a dot but a circle of dots. Don’t know if it’s supposed to do this or if something is wrong. Thanks again
Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
You need to run ANY of the red dot optics as low as possible given the lighting conditions. Dark or dim lit/overcast you will run it pretty low.. brighter/full sun you will run it higher... use it with BOTH eyes open.. takes practice and until you get focused wink your weak eye.. your dominant eye takes over.

Last edited by Chaser; 05-24-2019 at 09:58 AM.