TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg22 View Post
What distance? 24 or 50 yds?
50 yards.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chif View Post
50 yards.
Very nice then.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:03 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I agree, those are very nice groups at 50yds, especially out of a brand new barrel. You may have hit the jackpot where accuracy's concerned, although I believe the MTR's tighter chamber means that more often than not, they're going to shoot better than the average 457, whether it be an American with its slender 24" bbl, or a Varmint model with 16.5", 20.5", or 24" barrel. The test targets on my three 457s (American, MTR, VPT) - all 22RFs - were no real indication of their accuracy potential
- especially the 3-shot string of the American, which turned out to be somewhat of a turd accuracy-wise.

Since the test target of the American was only 3 shots, and the MTR & VPT were 5 - and all were purchased this year, I wonder if 3 is the standard number of shots fired in the American model?

The 24" bbl of my 457 VPT had a lot of leading in an area about an inch forward from the leade, and about 1-1/2" long. It wasn't streaks of lead - the whole circumference of the bore in that area was covered in what appeared to be vaporized leading, right out of the box, before I'd done anything more than run a couple of wet patches through the bore to remove any preservative oil/grease prior to shooting it. That baffled me, since I assumed the factory put only a very few rounds through it before packaging & shipping it out. At any rate, a fair amout of brushing with a fresh bronze bore brush got rid of the leading, though examination with a Hawkeye borescope did show some slight roughness to the bore finish in that area. The first time out, I wasn't overly impressed with accuracy, but it was quite a bit better than I'd expected to see - and it's gotten better over the past several weeks of shooting it whenever I got the chance. I did find some more leading after shooting a couple of boxes of Federal Ultra Match (UM22), though that was easily removed with minimal brushing, but have seen little or no more leading with SK Std+, LR Match, Rifle Match, Pistol Match, and Lapua Center-X. I have yet to try any Eley in it, but will do so when I get a chance. I should have 1000+rds through it before the Bartlein blank I ordered for this rifle arrives...if it continues to show even moderate improvement, it's going to make it a little tougher to get fired-up enough to fit & chamber the Bartlein...
Old 12-14-2019, 11:07 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chif View Post
Hi all, took delivery of a new cz457 mtr and the rifle looks great!
Then I looked at the enclosed hit pattern chart and it does not look all that great.
It’s shot at 50 meters using x act and it is 14mm spread. Would this be an indication of how the rifle will behave? Assuming if it’s shot is a factory ideal condition using top grade ammo and it resulted in greater than moa pattern ... and this is an mtr, should it even have been shipped out for sale?
Any comments / advice appreciated.

Best,
Chif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.55" at 50 yards is darn good. METERS that is.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:16 PM
chif

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the encouragement al.
Flat, though I did not bore scope my barrel before shooting, I did run two wet patches through and gave it a thorough cleaning. It was pretty filthy was well and it seemed to take more cleaning then after my trip to the range yesterday. Would anyone know if the Lapua x ammo that cz used to test the rifle is on the dirty side? I know fed ammo is pretty dirty but never thought the Lapua is dirty as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2019, 02:06 PM
RAStephens
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re CZ457 hit pattern

I agree with Kragman. While (My Opinion) .22 RF barrels don't require break in Run a brick through the rifle and keep an example target after burning each box of 50. Number them from 1 to 10 and see if there is any notable change for the better.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:25 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
All that is left is to grouse about a production rifle that cleans the clock of your vintage and simi custom rifles that are worth or cost as much as 3 times as much.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:57 AM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check this out.
What would you do if you were buying just from the chart??
I probably wouldn't own these guns if I didn't know better.

I'm VERY satisfied with the groups my 457s shoot.
They shoot better than the guy behind the scope..... and the price of the ammo he buys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2767.jpg (474.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2768.jpg (477.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2770.jpg (485.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post
All that is left is to grouse about a production rifle that cleans the clock of your vintage and simi custom rifles that are worth or cost as much as 3 times as much.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:16 AM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My hit pattern chart was 20mm. 4 of the five looked like it grouped pretty good, but one looked like a flier. Just randomly left of the others.