Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Model 55 single shot question?

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Jim A 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has spotted one at an LGS. He was asking me about them,which I know nothing. I don't even remember ever seeing one!
Can someone tell me a little about these? I looked at them on GB,sure looks like an odd duck to me.

Thanks for any insight.:t

#2 ·
This one was an odd bird indeed - a single shot semiautomatic. From what I understand, it was introduced in 1957 and was based on a patent from the 1930s I think. There were only about 45,000 made in its brief production history, so obviously there wasn't much demand for it. I believe it fired from an open bolt and had several plastic parts that were prone to breakage. From what I understand, Outback Gun Parts has some replacement parts.
In spite of its rarity, values are low, roughly $200 or less.

#12 · (Edited)
I believe it fired from an open bolt and had several plastic parts that were prone to breakage.
The RF Model 55 was issued with only one plastic part, the loading door/gate - which can sometimes break (like any other part on any other gun), but isn't "prone to breakage".

I've shot one for decades, and a Grandson has been shooting another for the past 10 years, w/o a bobble or breakage.

As stated, Winchester thought of them as "boy's rifles", for beginners and/or young shooters - ergo the E-Z empty cartridge removal and automatic safety.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies so far!:bthumb:

:confused: What is the "thinking" with this type of action?:confused: I don't understand the reasoning behind a single shot auto?

Bob,have you ever seen/dealt with one?

#6 ·
I picked one up back at the end of September at a gun show. I'd only discover that a second, completely different Winchester Model 55 existed about six months before and wasn't really looking to acquire one as I had no burning desire for it. It only set me back $100; the exhibitor had been asking $125. I know him and trade regularly with him. I'm the overnight security at this show so sometimes make the "deals" before show opens.

It's in pretty nice condition. So far I've only given it an informal limited audition at the club range, but it functioned perfectly, with shorts, longs, standard and high velocity ammunition. Shot it offhand at small rocks, dirt clods, and small refuse other shooters had left on the range from about 40 yards and it really hit where it looked with CCI standard velocity Long Rifle. Since it fires from an open bolt, I expected the trigger to be dismal, but was pleasantly surprised to find the trigger quite livable.

#11 ·
Come on..its cool! Fires from an open bolt (think Tommy Gun), barrel is pinned for easy removal, ejects automatically out the bottom ( careful where your hand is or you might catch a hot casing). Just plain cool. And inexpensive. Whats not to like?

#19 ·
Neat guns

At a gun show this past weekend a friend I was with pointed out two model 55s at one booth. He remembers his dad teaching him to shoot with one when he was a small child. He stated that he caught many hot brass in his hand while shooting it.
One of the two was in very nice condition. I think it was priced at $375 if I remember right. JA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.