CZ 457 scope options, iron sight add ons? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:34 AM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 457 scope options, iron sight add ons?

I have a CZ 457 Varmint coming in the next couple of weeks. It's going to be in .22mag.

I am thinking about dropping a cheap scope on it from walmart. Either the Barska, or the Simmons.

Does anybody here have experience with either scope, and do the rings that come with it fit the 11mm dovetail?

Also, I am thinking about either having a gunsmith add dovetails or tap the barrel for the addition of iron sights. I like having backup iron sights on a gun.

Or my other option would be to get the Tech Sights for the rear and find a front sight that clamps on the front barrel, like the LPA BAR tactical series, or the Spitfire Armory MX Tactical front sight... or even try the cheap ugly UTF tactical front sight.

Any suggestions or advice would be great on either the scope or add-on iron sights.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:05 AM
1dogdown
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
First thing forget those scopes.Those will not do justice to a nice Varmint.At the very least look at the Nikon p3 on sale for 130.
Why have a gunsmith add dovetails? You already have them.Forget the d+t.Just add a rail from Bscar or Dip.Just saying.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:12 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weaver Classic Rimfire scope is on sale at Natchez and is the perfect varmint scope for about 100 bucks. As to iron sights, just buy a spare barrel with sights attached from a scout or trainer. They appear often in the classified section at RFC for less that 100 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2019, 10:02 AM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, I was thinking about the Bushnell banner 3-9x40 scope, if not the cheap ones at walmart. Are the warne 721m medium rings pretty good?

The reason I bought the varmint barrel is because I like the heavy barrel. But I also like iron sights. So I had to make a sacrifice and went with the heavy barrel.

I'm just trying to find options for adding iron sights. I know I can add a tech sight for the rear, it's the front that's questionable. My only options for a clamp on the barrel front sight are UTG Tactical, Spitfire Armory mx tactical, and LPA front sight shotgun. But then my other problem is I don't know how they will line up together with the tech rear sight soo...

I may send it off to Triple River Gunsmithing to add the sights and maybe have it threaded.

Thanks all!
Old 11-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dogdown View Post
First thing forget those scopes.Those will not do justice to a nice Varmint.
+1.

I would add that I personally will not buy a scope without an adjustable objective. I did a quick look around and it will be tough to come in under $100 for a usable scope with AO but IMO, this is a buy once cry once decision. I would HIGHLY recommend a 30mm tube too.

I don't know what your budget is so I'll keep in mind that you may not want to spend much to get up and shooting. Seems strange you want to go cheap on glass and spend for iron sights. I would suggest getting the steel CZ or Talley rings, or the BKL 257's and a ~$100 scope(more $ if you can) with AO and save the iron sights for later. Bet you'll forget all about the iron sights as you'll be enjoying a rugged, reliable platform that will give you the confidence to know you won't need a backup. Life in jeopardy after falling over a cliff and breaking the scope? Aim down the top of the barrel.

You asked.

Last edited by Bigbore; 11-23-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Sir to start with bull barrels and iron sights are not a normal item...if your planning on scoping your rifle do yourself a favor go buy that Nikon p-3 EFR scope for $130 at midway or on line. Cheap glass will only give you headsches in more ways than one.

The 457 will allow you to bolt on any brand of scope you want because of the low bolt lift. Don't cut yourself short....nice rifle...now get something you can grow with...if your hunting/plinking a 3-9x should work fine...if your aim is more toward some hunting and bench work then I would recommend a 4-16x or even a 6-24x scope. There are plenty to play with.

The one thing I tell members here pick out a reticle that works for you...and not one you have to make work. I am riding shotgun across the Texas now and don't like using my cell phone for posting message.

Anyway good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 11-23-2019, 05:26 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of those elcheapos scopes from Wally World will be like looking through the Milky Way.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:39 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Every bit of money I ever spent on cheap scopes was a complete waste, as all were replaced or given away once I came to my senses.

If you really want iron sights, why not just get a new barrel from CZ that already has iron sights securely installed and properly aligned? The CZ 455 Lux barrel set - with extra magazine included - is $143 from CZ and fits the 457 receiver.

https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetai...Set-22lr-Blued
Old 11-23-2019, 08:48 PM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recommend a source other than WalMart. They've lost my business for reasons that cannot be discussed on this forum, which is too bad.

JMK
Old 11-23-2019, 11:15 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Something to consider.... Nikon will be out of the rifle scope business come Jan. 1 2020 with no comments on their warrantee. That has been posted elsewhere here on RFC.

As Signalman: said above find a reticle you like and then shop the scopes. Watch out for scopes that do not focus down low enough (you might want under 50 yards) to suit your style of shooting and certainly pay attention to the forward bell size so you get the right ring height. Power and tube size are up to you.

JMHO

Last edited by huntschool; 11-23-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:45 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
JMK sir I know you won't say it but I will...I would not be caught dead buying a cheap scope from Walmart...sorry guys but if it is not a $200 scope mark down to $120 or so from Midway, Natchez, Optics Planet or one of the other well know places I don't even look at them...but that is just me. Most of mine retail in the mid 4s or higher.

I know some people can't afford great glass but you get what you pay for...your buying a $150 or more gun at least spend about as much on good glass. There are a lot of members here will tell you to pay double what you pay for a rifle...and some put on thousand dollar glass on a $ 400 gun...and others are worse than that.

The cheap scopes at Walmart are beginning scopes for young new gun owners that just starting out or for young kid on their first rifle...where mom or dad do not want to put a $200 scope on a 10/22 or single shot rifle. I know I did not on my daughters the first time around...where they might drop the rifle....etc.

This is not meant to start a war here...just think of what your buying...how good is the glass in a scope priced at $50 or $60 dollars that cost $15 to $20 to make?? If you just plinking: shooting soda cans or close range game hunting...any thing will do...but if there is any target work involved not a chance. Putting a $60 scope on a $350 CZ rifle is a joke...it and you deserve better and if you do buy a cheap scope who is going to pay you anything for one when it's time to replace it. ??

Anyway do the best you can to outfit your or one of your family's rifle with half way good glass it will pay for itself in the long run.

Now back to a regular programing. This is just my opinion...that is all.

Signalman
Old 11-24-2019, 12:37 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (97)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman View Post
JMK sir I know you won't say it but I will...I would not be caught dead buying a cheap scope from Walmart...sorry guys but if it is not a $200 scope mark down to $120 or so from Midway, Natchez, Optics Planet or one of the other well know places I don't even look at them...but that is just me. Most of mine retail in the mid 4s or higher.

I know some people can't afford great glass but you get what you pay for...your buying a $150 or more gun at least spend about as much on good glass. There are a lot of members here will tell you to pay double what you pay for a rifle...and some put on thousand dollar glass on a $ 400 gun...and others are worse than that.

The cheap scopes at Walmart are beginning scopes for young new gun owners that just starting out or for young kid on their first rifle...where mom or dad do not want to put a $200 scope on a 10/22 or single shot rifle. I know I did not on my daughters the first time around...where they might drop the rifle....etc.

This is not meant to start a war here...just think of what your buying...how good is the glass in a scope priced at $50 or $60 dollars that cost $15 to $20 to make?? If you just plinking: shooting soda cans or close range game hunting...any thing will do...but if there is any target work involved not a chance. Putting a $60 scope on a $350 CZ rifle is a joke...it and you deserve better and if you do buy a cheap scope who is going to pay you anything for one when it's time to replace it. ??

Anyway do the best you can to outfit your or one of your family's rifle with half way good glass it will pay for itself in the long run.

Now back to a regular programing. This is just my opinion...that is all.

Signalman
+1
Old 11-24-2019, 01:02 AM
Crowshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
+2, it may just be opinion, but Signalman ainít wrong

That said you can pick up some perfectly serviceable scopes under $200 if you know what youíre looking for or do some research and cross shopping.
Anthlon, Bushnell, Mueller, Sightron, Weaver, Hawke, Burris, Vortex, Nikon all have rimfire specific or AO scopes under $200 that will work great on any rimfire rifle.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:52 AM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That extra barrel ain't a bad idea. Would be cheaper than having a gunsmith tap it. Thanks for that. I'll keep that as an option.

I'll invest in a better quality scope. Perhaps I can find some good deals on Black Friday.

I will only be shooting out to 50 yards, maybe a little further with the rifle. Mostly squirrel control and plinking. I'd like to be able to shoot close up with it for rattlers and such.

I am a scope n00b. Is 3-9, or 2-7 good for that range?

I'm guessing that AO means adjustable objective to stop the parallax thing form happening?

Budget is $150 and under.

The weaver classic rimfire scope looks pretty nice.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmurf View Post

I'll invest in a better quality scope. Perhaps I can find some good deals on Black Friday.

I am a scope n00b. Is 3-9, or 2-7 good for that range?

I'm guessing that AO means adjustable objective to stop the parallax thing form happening?

Budget is $150 and under.

The weaver classic rimfire scope looks pretty nice.
If you get a 1" tube you'll find a larger selection of budget scopes and there is a good selection of rings. I personally prefer 30mm but it won't be a big deal for a starter rig. IIRC, you have the advantage of the 60 degree bolt throw so that gives you even more options.

Yes, AO for the parallax thing, it's a biggy IMO.

I love the Simmons 22 Mag WITH AO, but they sell for ~$60 so many turn their nose up to them. I pick them up when Simmons has a scope rebate and have been getting them for an average cost of about $30 - 35 shipped. The Simmon 44 Mag 6-24 with AO(discontinued) had a cult following in the air gun community for value and we were getting them for around $100; I still have one. There are good values that can be had without breaking the bank.

I think you will enjoy a little more magnification so I would recommend 4-16. I'll bet with careful research and shopping you should be able to come up with a decent starter 4-16 AO scope for under $150 shipped. If you want dirt cheap, I can recommend the Simmons 22 Mag WITH AO comfortably. It is 3-9(?), the glass is clear and I have a least two, maybe three that have given me service without issue on rimfires. Simmons is a huge reputable company AFAIK.

Last edited by Bigbore; 11-24-2019 at 08:23 AM.