Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:08 PM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do you like your Victory?

I'm thinking of picking one up. Tried the Ruger Mark IV, but I just don't like the grip angel. The Victory grip felt just right.

How do you like your Victory? How many rounds do you have through it? Have you had any issues?

Thanks all!
Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi atomicsmurf,

I have had my Victory for almost two years. I like it a lot. It is very accurate and I have installed many mods from Tamdemkross. My shooting partner bought his at the same time I did. I have a red dot and he likes the sights that came on the gun. He had a problem with his gun right after he bought it and had to returned it to the factory under warranty. The factory replaced the barrel and returned it in a couple of weeks.

I am into my third 5000 round case and it has been perfect.

If you buy a Victory there are two mods you should do. One is to install a Halo Charging Ring on the slide. This makes it much easier to operate the slide. The slide is not hard to operate but the gripping area is small and the charging ring is a great upgrade.

The second mod is to add the extended base pads to the magazines. The factory magazine base pads are not very thick and you can insert them into the mag and not get them inserted fully. The problem is with how the bottom of the grip is made. At the rear of the grip is a section that sticks down and the palm of my hand would strike that extension and the mag wouldn't seat fully. The Tamdemkross base pads would be a must if you shoot competition.

Frank
Old 09-14-2019, 05:17 PM
Camaro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm happy

I love mine. Really good barrel, trigger, sights and price right out of the box. Just shot 550 Aguila standard velocity without hiccup this morning.
Have not shot Ruger MK or Browning Buck but they have great track record...just matter of preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 05:59 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had mine for around 2 years and am very pleased with it. I have ran around 2000 rounds through mine, I know that isn't a very impressive number but I have other .22 lr target pistols that get shot too. I don't think I have had a single malfunction with mine, and I shoot mainly CCI-SV or Walmart bulk pack Federal. I have added the Tandemkross trigger as well as the Tandemkross halo slide ring.

Last edited by wproct; 09-30-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:18 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have had my S&W Victory since they initially hit the LGS. For the money, I think they are a very solid performer. Mine was the base model, non-threaded barrel but I did add some TandemKross upgrades over time . . . which I highly recommend:

1. Halo Charging Ring - makes it easy for "anyone" to cycle the action. I put them on my Ruger Mark III & Browning Buckmark Field Target as well.
2. Victory trigger - I wanted to try the flat trigger as an experiment & really liked it so much I put one on my Browning Buckmark Field Target as well.
3. Extended Mag Release - makes it easier to change mags.
4. The hiveGrip was the final upgrade - it gave me a larger gripping surface which I really like. It just fits my hand better with the slightly larger size.

I've not had any issues with mine, mounted a reflex red dot for optics, and plink away. The S&W PC version has most of those upgrades already installed however, the trigger on the one I tried did not have as good a trigger as mine. That PC version is what sold me on the TK hiveGrip. I did take the magazine disconnect out on mine and that "may" have helped.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:46 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmurf View Post
I'm thinking of picking one up. Tried the Ruger Mark IV, but I just don't like the grip angel. The Victory grip felt just right.

How do you like your Victory? How many rounds do you have through it? Have you had any issues?

Thanks all!
Having the pistol feel right in your hands is important in my opinion. Between my Significant Other and myself, we have three Ruger semi-autos, four Buck Marks, and one S&W Victory. Not too many rounds through the Victory, not nearly as many as through the Rugers and Buck Marks, but the Victory shoots just as well in our hands as the others. I only had to do one tweak to the Victory, and that was to bend the ejector slightly to towards the middle to solve a jamming problem. I like the standard FO sights on it best of all the other guns.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:55 AM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any need for extractor or firing pin upgrades?

I will definitely be getting the halo ring first. My 73 year old father will be plinking with it too and that will make it easier for him.

TK mag base plates are now on the list.

I'll see how the trigger feels at the range before changing it. I'm mostly a revolver shooter, so anything will probably feel better than a rimfire DA trigger.

I think I'm sold. Will probably buy it tomorrow. It's the non-threaded version.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi atomicsmurf,

As I mentioned, I am in my third case of 5000 rounds and have had no problems with my extractor or firing pin. I did buy a parts kit from Tandemkross that included both just in case I had any problems.

Frank
Old 09-16-2019, 01:25 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Now have two Victorys, one threaded and one not...my MkIII Ruger is gone, my MkIV Ruger is gone and neither is missed.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 PM
DON6244

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm happy with mine. I did have the firing pin spring break at about 2,000 rounds. It's an easy fix so no big deal. Get the Hive Grip, it's definitely an improvement over the factory grip in my opinion. Don
Old 09-17-2019, 12:18 AM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
love mine , just as it came - functions great and feels fine , not givin it up any time soon ,
Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had a MK4 that would not function with match ammo so it is gone. Replaced it with a S&W Victory. Still have it after 2 years and thousands of rounds of ammo. Went back to S&W when it started malfunctioning. Came back as good as new and still going strong. I am not a big 22 LR fan nor am I fond of S&Ws, but I still have this one and have no immediate plans to dispose of it.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:02 PM
prairieviper
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like the Victory so much that I have two. The main reason is that I run one with an optic sight and one without. The older Victory has about 20,000 rounds through it. Early on, it had a problem with the ejector. A bit of research, watching a YouTube video and a slight bit of bending in the proper direction, fixed that problem. In the past year, I had all the springs replaced, just because I thought it was time and a proactive thing to do. Soon after that, however, I started having a problem with the firing pin. A local gunsmith confirmed that it was the firing pin and something else that contained the firing pin. I don't recall the name of that part but S&W wanted it sent back to them for repair anyway, rather than sending the parts so that is where it is now.

My newest Victory probably has less than 5000 rounds through it and it was flawless right out of the box and has had no problems whatsoever.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:55 PM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Picked up my Victory today!

Picked up my Victory today and went straight to the range. Didn't bother to take it apart or clean it before shooting.
25 yard bullseyes! It shoots better than I can.
Shot 40 Round nose mini mags. No issues. Then shot Federal Bulk 36 grain hollow point the 550 round box. Put a total of 60-80 rounds through it with ZERO jams, and the thing is ejecting the cases so far that I could only find one. Nice firing pin strike too.

Had a few odd ball malfunctions. First shot had no firing pin mark and no ignition. Ejected. The fired it again and the rest ran flawlessly.

Three times on both magazines I couldn't get it to slingshot the first round into battery. Had to manually depress the slide stop, then rack it.

Then the slide didn't fully go into battery. I think the bullet (federal 36 HP) got hung up on the feed ramp. I noticed some of those bullets had a sharper more blunt edge than others in the box. That could have been the issue.

After that, I took some Rem oil and swabbed it out, lubed up the slide. It ran great after that with two more mags. Those little issues may have been because I ran it without taking it down for a cleaning and just shot it straight out of the box.

Overall I am very pleased with this gun. Nice crisp trigger. No side to side wobble on the trigger. Love the sights. Very easy to aim and see. The grip feels great. I'm not a competition shooter, but it sure makes me feel like one!

I can see getting the TK Halo ring and the TK mag base plates. WOW What an awesome shooter!!

My 73 year old father was having fun with it too. Popping cans with ease. He has rather large hands and kept hitting the safety on, but other than that he loved it too. Super happy!

I'll be heading back to the range tomorrow. Got some new marlin 795 mags I want to prove, and I'll take the Victory with me for some more fun.

Thank you all for suggesting such a great gun! Will report back tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:56 PM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2nd range trip report

Put about another 100 rounds through the Victory today. 1 stoppage with a dead trigger. I should have investigated before I ejected the round. Thinking back I should have checked to see if the round seated fully and the bolt closed all the way. But I was having so much fun I just ejected it and kept shooting.

I'll have to keep an eye on it in the future.

Took my Marlin 795 out too and the Victory is shooting almost as good as the rifle. Managed to hit a tin can a few times out at the 55 yard mark with the Victory. All other shots were very close around the can. So I am very impressed with the accuracy of this little pistol. Love the Victory!

If you guys have any thoughts about the 1 dead trigger let me know.