Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:00 AM
BobforBass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Original Contender trigger upgrade help

Greetings fellow members!

I have a Contender pistol (original....not the G2) and recently purchased a 14" barrel in .17HMR. The trigger has never been worked on and is extreamly heavy. What is the best way to improve the trigger in regards to lightening the pull? Can I have the current trigger worked on by a gunsmith or is it better to intall a different trigger? How hard is it to remove and replace a trigger? Is it something I should have an expert do or can I do it myself? If the general consensus is to put add a new one then please give names of quality triggers. I am a novice so any detailed advice would be appreciated.

In advance, thanks to all.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:55 PM
richlcampbell
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on your Contender! I still prefer the trigger in the original Contender over the G2, though both can have good triggers. I used to tinker on the triggers myself, but have since gotten lazy and have them done by Mike Bellm.

Mike Bellm at the Bellm TC Store does wonderful trigger jobs on the original Contender, G2, and Encore. He also sells springs and has instructions for the DIY jobs on the G2 and Encore.

For the original Contender, he has instructions on how to remove the trigger group and how to order the work Click Here for Shortcut to Instructions. Basically, you just remove the pin holding the trigger group together and send him the trigger group. No need for FFL rules, since the trigger group in the original Contender isn't serial numbered. Once he returns it, it is easy to get back together. My first trigger job went from 4 pounds to less than a pound, with no bump off, etc.

I recently picked up two more original Contender frames myself, and will be sending out the trigger groups.

Sorry, I don't know of any drop in replacement triggers for the Contender.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Contender

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All of my original Contenders had creep free smooth triggers from the factory, they were just a little heavy. Use the sear engagement screw to adjust for a creep free trigger (see instruction book). The trigger spring is very easy to change (see exploded view in manual to see how to take it apart). Order a Trapper Spring kit for $10 from Natchez Shooters Supply, or try the spring out of a Bic Lighter.