Finally picked up a 617!! - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:43 PM
Paul57guns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Very sorry to see this. As others have mentioned, S&W should replace it. At one time I had both a 6-inch and a 4-inch 617. I sold the 6-inch version as I found it to be too muzzle heavy. The 4-inch version I've had for 10 years+ - couldn't be happier. Great trainer for those new to shooting.
Paul57guns
Old 05-30-2021, 11:02 AM
carbine
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in SC View Post
The build up is normal for a revolver that hasnít been properly cleaned. I clean the cylinder and frame every outing to avoid the build up. Of course some ammo is much worse than others, high velocity in most cases will lead faster.
What I was going to say.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:40 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well, I got an email last saturday that it was received, and the issued an RMA for it.

I called today, and they said it is still being evaluated, call back middle of next week.

the wait continues.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:59 PM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would shoot that gun with good quality ammo before doing anything to it.
My guess on the leading issue is that the previous owner had a large supply of Remington Thunderbolt ammo and ran it through the 617. He probably traded it because of the leading which may have affected accuracy. About a year ago I witnessed a guy shooting a Ruger .22 auto what leaded so bad that shots keyholes at 25 yds. The shooter knocked a chunk of lead out of that barrel. He was shooting Thunderbolts.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:44 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_80 View Post
Well, I got an email last saturday that it was received, and the issued an RMA for it.

I called today, and they said it is still being evaluated, call back middle of next week.

the wait continues.
It took them a while when I sent my M63 with a bad frame to them. They had to send it to their metallurgy shop for evaluation. They replaced it, though, as I suspect they will your 617.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:35 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
I would shoot that gun with good quality ammo before doing anything to it.
My guess on the leading issue is that the previous owner had a large supply of Remington Thunderbolt ammo and ran it through the 617. He probably traded it because of the leading which may have affected accuracy. About a year ago I witnessed a guy shooting a Ruger .22 auto what leaded so bad that shots keyholes at 25 yds. The shooter knocked a chunk of lead out of that barrel. He was shooting Thunderbolts.
you must not have read the whole thread- The frame is cracked, it's at S&W for evaluation, and hopefully replacement.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:25 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I just called S&W support to check on the status, and they said it was sent to the Metallurgical labs for evaluation, and sent back to Support, and I should get a letter or email with findings soon. Whatever that means... I sure hope it doesn't cost me anything, or at least not much... I spent almost $800 on this revolver...
Old 06-16-2021, 10:33 AM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
It won't cost you a dime. The frame was cracked and that is a factory problem.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:45 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpickar View Post
It won't cost you a dime. The frame was cracked and that is a factory problem.
I wish they would call me instead of email or letter, I know they have many returns and such, but I wish they could call...
Old 06-16-2021, 11:05 AM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Just be patient. Life is must easier when you learn patience. It is a corp. and they have thier procedures. If you bug them too much they will say, "Oh it is him agian" A inquiry from a patient man has the response of "that guy was very understanding and polite, I will try and get him taken care of as fast as I can"

You get what you give in life.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:48 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Patience isn't my strong suit when it comes to issues like this.

Called back today to see if there was a status update... It is now with their revolver department, which the guy told me is shut down for two weeks for annual maintenance. So likely another 4-5 weeks till I hear anything.

Ironically, I was in a buddies shop yesterday, and they had a 4" 617 in stock.

Don't know why they would wait so long and not send a new one- very clearly the frame is junk, and the barrel needs work- I imagine it costs more to break a gun down, repair the barrel, and swap all the parts to a new frame than it would to just send a new one...

But It's not my call...

frustrating. I waited a few years to afford this gun, now I can't even get a clear timeline on when I will get one back.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:50 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would have bought the 4 inch and then I'd sell your current gun once it got back from Smith. I'd ask them for a refund by the way.