Best bang for the dollar on 10/22 mods - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Best bang for the dollar on 10/22 mods

There are several great threads on what to modify on a 10/22. Could we have your list of "Bang for the buck"? Because who wants to spend money with little return.

From my one year of experience:

1) Trigger or CPC.
2) CPC or trigger.
3) Better ammo

OK, you see how little I know.

For example: in cycling the BIG thing is aerodynamics/watts saved which has been found to be way more important than weight savings.

1) The position of the rider
2) The bike
3) The wheels
3) The helmet
4) The bottle cage position and bottle.

FYI - down the list are those little wheels on the rear derailleurs that are switched out for big wheels to reduce friction and save a few watts. More important though is a clean and lubed chain.

Thank you for helping the rest of us get the "Best bang for the buck with your list".
Old 05-01-2021, 07:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Best bang for the buck.

1. Do all the trigger and bolt work yourself.
2. Tape bedding

Depends on your needs
3a. Cheap hi power scope
3b. GM barrel maybe if your factory one doesnt shoot well.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:38 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Bang for the buck?
Trigger, usually anything is an improvement.
Dont buy more parts, make due with what it is, shoot it, a lot, and dont expect it to be a target rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2021, 07:54 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Red face

Best bank for your buck. CPC. Trigger bolt and barrel, +cleaning hole , all put together right!

Yes , you can do your own trigger job, no parts, just gotta be careful or youll have to buy a kit, $100. Or a trigger group, $150 to $250.

You can do your own bolt, got a belt grinder to radius the rear end? You can stake the pin, gotta drill press? If you goof it up, have to buy a bolt , CPC $70, jwh $100, kidd $200+

You can drill your own cleaning hole, theres a jig floating around rfc,

You prolly cant true the receiver if it needs it , prolly doesn’t, and cant cut the chamber and move the shoulder on the barrel. Or recrown it. So barrel , at least $100 prolly $150.at the least.

And then getting it all back together, true and straight, might need a gunsmither block, etc.more money.

I have never done the CPC thing, and Im not happy about that. I just bought better parts and plugged them in. I got good results, but cheap it wasnt.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Bang for the buck?
Trigger, usually anything is an improvement.
Dont buy more parts, make due with what it is, shoot it, a lot, and dont expect it to be a target rifle.
That's what I found out after spending a small fortune. CPC is the best game in town but first a trigger, then a lot of rounds down range. You can't slap together parts and an accurate rifle make.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=535662
Old 05-01-2021, 09:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
That's what I found out after spending a small fortune. CPC is the best game in town but first a trigger, then a lot of rounds down range. You can't slap together parts and an accurate rifle make.
Yeah , you pretty much can. As long as they are good parts, and you already know how to shoot a 1022.

I shot my std tupperware carbine with a 3x9 tasco, started with a 2 x7 but wanted more magnification, for a year, burned thru a case of Wolf Target. I could shoot the heads off of zip ties at 50 yards. Hey it was cheap then, and it said target, so i bought it.

That winter i bought a KSA 20 inch barrel, a Hornet Trigger group and a Hogue Overmold stock. And slapped it together.
And a cheap chinese scope 4x 16 with AO!

Less than $200 and I had a target gun. But no more Wolf ammo , and it wasnt cheap anymore. So i bought cci sv , then cheap , and pretty darn good.

It was and still is a very accurate gun, that with little knowledge, no rfc for me then, i slapped together based on you tube videos.

My subsequent builds , have been less slappy, but stiil essentially lego work. With the help from your post, i become more methodical, and applied more critical thinking to what i was doing. But not really

Which is how i ended up with this beast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADCB483F-B888-499F-B809-83311C88CEC7.jpg (500.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-02-2021, 11:24 PM
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
CPC is by FAR the best bang for the buck in all of gunsmithing. For $200 he does the ENTIRE GUN... trigger, bolt, barrel, clambering, lapping, trying the reciever, blueprinting the entire assembly, installing oversize pins that don't just fall out, nylon buffer, etc. His stuff is not only far more reliable than stock, but will also outshoot far more expensive combinations. By far your best bang for the buck. Plus, if you have your heart set on an aftermarket barrel, he can work those as well. Just send it with the gun.

I sent all six of my guns there. Ended up selling one to a buddy that HAD to have it, then bought another to replace it... and sent it brand new and un-shot to CPC this Saturday.

He had said something about retiring this summer. So if you want to get a gun done, don't wait too long.

Good Luck
Old 05-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Hard to argue with CPC being the best deal there is for the 10/22.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:28 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Learn to use a sling, buy a cheap scope.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 PM
JMynes
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best bang for your buck is hands down, undoubtedly, filing your bolt stop to enable auto bolt release.
Auto bolt release is a convenient feature to add to your rifle, and it can be done for ZERO dollars.
Since zero dollars is as low as you can go, it is inarguably the best bang for your buck.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Best bang for your buck is hands down, undoubtedly, filing your bolt stop to enable auto bolt release.
Auto bolt release is a convenient feature to add to your rifle, and it can be done for ZERO dollars.
Since zero dollars is as low as you can go, it is inarguably the best bang for your buck.
I prefer my bolt stop to actually be able to lock the bolt back..so I skip this zero dollar "mod"

after many years of shooting military weapons, I find that I can overcome bad triggers, sights, and stock fit, easier than bad barrels..so I say
the first place to spend any "bang for the buck" money is the barrel..either send the stock one to [email protected] or get a KIDD ULW (if your stock is able to be set up for a bull barrel)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:51 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post

Well, YOU can’t.....
Old 05-05-2021, 10:39 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
OP, That is a loaded question. Depends on what you want to do with your rifle. I'm not match shooter, all recreation and so far all target. I do a Volquartsen Auto bolt release, Extended Mag release, MCARBO trigger spring kit on factory trigger, Simmons ProTarget scopes with Sniper brand rings, a decent Weaver brand scope rail if you have a 2 piece or no rail at all, and if you want to upgrade the barrel, I have had good luck with KSA (Keystone Arms) MicroGrooved barrels.

Without the barrel mod, you are looking at about $135 with a 3-9X simmons scope, add about $30 for a Simmons 4-12 scope, and add between $125-$150 for the KSA barrel of your choice.

That's what I do with all mine.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
After doing triggers on both of my TDs, one Ruger BX and one Brimstone, I finally have a 1981 10/22 that I'm sending off to CPC. For the +$200, I think the 10/22 will be better than I deserve. Shot 70 some rounds and lt's a keeper with good wood.

There are many on RFC that are much better with anything mechanical than I am. I like cleaning. Altering or swapping out pieces makes me sweat - if there's a way to do it wrong...

So if one has a TD, get a better trigger. If one is not mechanical, hope that Randy at CPC hangs in there. If one is mechanical, all one needs is the time and money.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:56 PM
VaUltraClassic
Emergency Medical Technician Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
I prefer my bolt stop to actually be able to lock the bolt back..so I skip this zero dollar "mod"
The mod does NOT affect the way the bolt locks back on a 10/22. It still works exactly the same. What the mod does do is save fumbling around trying to release the bolt by rocking or toggling the tiny bolt lock lever forward. When the mod is completed, one simply pulls back slightly on the bolt handle, and the lock will release and allow to bolt to close..