Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:25 AM
BobforBass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Contender hammer does not engage firing pin

Greetings guys,

I've recently developed a problem w/ my Contender in .17hmr. I was at the range a couple weeks ago punching paper w/ some friends and family. All was working great and it was time for lunch so we stopped for a few minutes. We unloaded and left everything on the table. We stayed w/ the guns and never left. When it was time to get back to shooting my 12 year old son wanted to shoot the TC. He loaded it, set it in the bags and pulled the trigger. The hammer dropped but did not fire. I checked the bullet and there was not firing pin mark. After removing the ammo, I cocked the hammer again and pulled the trigger while my thumb was on the hammer so I could let it down slowly to see what whas happening. The hammer came to a solid dead stop before hitting the firing pin. When I break open the gun the bullet is ejected like normal. Everything seems to work fine other than the problem I described. I cannot figure out why it is doing this or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bobforbass
Old 09-21-2006, 10:35 AM
contender6030
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Try closing the action a little harder. On my 22 mag barrel I have to actually slam the barrel shut for it to fire but on my 45/70 I can almost close it with no effort.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Woolly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobforBass
Greetings guys,

I've recently developed a problem w/ my Contender in .17hmr. I was at the range a couple weeks ago punching paper w/ some friends and family. All was working great and it was time for lunch so we stopped for a few minutes. We unloaded and left everything on the table. We stayed w/ the guns and never left. When it was time to get back to shooting my 12 year old son wanted to shoot the TC. He loaded it, set it in the bags and pulled the trigger. The hammer dropped but did not fire. I checked the bullet and there was not firing pin mark. After removing the ammo, I cocked the hammer again and pulled the trigger while my thumb was on the hammer so I could let it down slowly to see what whas happening. The hammer came to a solid dead stop before hitting the firing pin. When I break open the gun the bullet is ejected like normal. Everything seems to work fine other than the problem I described. I cannot figure out why it is doing this or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bobforbass
Did you check the "safety" (hammer selector "switch")? It sounds like it may be set to safe (center) instead of rimfire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 PM
navcomp
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the same problem. Try the forum athis place and there are several solutions offered.
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php