Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:51 AM
ffd
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1906 barrel

First post here. Been stopping in for a look for years. I'm a shooter, hunter, gun builder, amateur smith, jack of all trades and master of none.

Have the first .22 I shot as a kid in my possession and she needs some tlc. Winchester model 1906 22S,L,LR. Someone way back repaired the chamber by brazing and used a pipe wrench to remove the barrel for repair. Not pretty. Asked my father about it and he said no one had touched the rifle since he used it as a kid some 50+ years ago. Let's say the repair was done a long time ago. I'm torn on leaving it alone and repairing the other issues the rifle has but am considering replacing the barrel. My problem is finding a barrel. Don't really want to make one from a blank. Would like to find a factory barrel in better condition. One that needs relined would be fine. One without the pipe wrench marks!!

Searched high and low online and no luck so far. Decided to bug you all and see if anyone has a lead I haven't found yet. Thanks in advance gents

My apologies, just looked I guess I have posted on this rifle before. First thing you lose is your eyesight then that other thing I can't remember.... Anyway the question stands

Last edited by ffd; 11-28-2020 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:18 AM
JeffWarner
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
1906 barrel

At one time, I seem to recall, Homestead was selling a repro barrel for a 1906. I donít see it on the website...might be my user error...but might be worth an email to see what they have.

http://homesteadparts.com/shop/winch...6-c-1_133.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 08:01 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I have a rebuilt 1906 with this barrel, works well...

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/720930

Not original but....

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2020, 02:52 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The one shown above on Gerald's gun will fit the 1906, 1890, and Model 62 as they all have the same type of action. Since it is an octagon barrel, it looks more like the octagon barrel that came on the model '90/1890 gun. The others had round barrels.

Gerald, that looks good.....have you measured the diameter of your barrel and compared to an original 1890 barrel? I seem to recall that the taper on one company's replacement barrel was a bit different from the original....maybe.

At any rate, if you want the gun to shoot well and look good and are less concerned about originality, you may want to try the barrel listed above. It may be difficult to come up with a good 1906 barrel.

James
Old 11-28-2020, 10:49 PM
ffd
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gmd nice work on that one, beautiful! I was bent on fixing this rifle then life got in the way for a bit. Homestead had some repairable barrels when I first started in on the project and da didn't grab one. They have none available now. I did look at those octagon barrels at numrich but really wanted to stay round if possible.

A member here has offered me a barrel at a reasonable price and I'm going to take him up on it. Hopefully it works out. Thanks for the input gents.

If you'all are interested I'll post pics of the finished product when I'm done.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:10 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I have not Pump .22, this one came from my old hunting partners estate, I know the gunsmith who did the work and per him no collectable Winchesters died in the process and I paid just a bit less than the work cost the original owner. Truth be told I'm no Winchester expert and being an old phart can't remember whether this is a '06 or a '90.

I've been told before which it is but I'll old and forget these things.... It is in essence a total rebuild and so far unfired, I really need to remedy that.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:38 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That appears to be a fairly late model '06 receiver. It should handle shorts, longs, and long rifle cartridges interchangeably. The '90 was a single caliber only unless someone installed a carrier from a later '06. The letter "B" under the serial number on the receiver indicates most likely a late model '06.

Nice gun....get her out and see how she shoots.....
Old 11-29-2020, 09:41 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
If nothing else load up some quiets and let 'er rip off the deck. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:44 PM
ffd
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel deal didn't work out so the search continues...
Old 11-29-2020, 04:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's a pretty nice barrel on ebay now. It appears to have come from a M62 and is 23 inches long. It should fit your M1906.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:21 PM
jrothWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found a 06 barrel [series II}]on GB, bought it and had local smith swapout the original.

He complimented my purchase as the patina and dovetails were perfect.

switch right over and found a original Lyman Tang sight and it now set-up for 25yds for Squireel and hopefully, some Snowshoe hunting SOOM!

Keep looking, try this site: www.1890winchesters.com maybe able to assist.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:54 PM
ffd
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jroth, appreciate the link .
Bob at 1890winchesters had a barrel and I received it this week. Not perfect but in way better condition than mine and at the right price. Got a nice forend and a mag tube ring from him as well. Bob is honest and prompt and packed the parts like he was sending a crystal vase. Would do business with him again.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a bunch of nicer 1890ís, 06ís and 62ís. I have a couple of 06ís that the barrel is just shot out, have to pry the empty out since it loses shape. I might consider a Numrich barrel on one of these. It would at least make it a everyday shooter. Iíve had a few barrel liners installed and thatís the best way to go but last time I checked it was over $200.

How easy is it to swap barrels?
Old 12-25-2020, 09:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
If nothing else load up some quiets and let 'er rip off the deck. Thanks for the info.
I like this!!
Old 12-25-2020, 11:48 PM
ffd
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris597 View Post
I have a bunch of nicer 1890ís, 06ís and 62ís. I have a couple of 06ís that the barrel is just shot out, have to pry the empty out since it loses shape. I might consider a Numrich barrel on one of these. It would at least make it a everyday shooter. Iíve had a few barrel liners installed and thatís the best way to go but last time I checked it was over $200.

How easy is it to swap barrels?
Liners are not expensive or difficult to install. Do a little research then pick the worst one you have and give it a go as your first. You can always swap out the barrel if you're not happy with the liner job. You will need a long drill bit or better a reamer, some Loctite 620, and a chamber reamer. The liner should be a slip, not press fit. 620 is good stuff. It will hold.

As far as changing the barrel, have not done one of these so I'll let you know. If it times right, easy, if not, a little more work. It's threaded in. Probably the hardest thing will be getting the old one loose. I'll make a barrel wrench for the install. The old barrel is already in bad shape, so doesn't matter what I use on it.

My original barrel was removed with a pipe wrench and the chamber was repaired by brazing it up and rereaming it. At least I think it was reamed?, with what, who knows. My Dad said this rifle had not been worked on since in the family's possession. He hunted with it at 12 so prior to 1958, when exactly then, no idea. The brazed chamber worked fine for at least 60 years. I just can't bring myself to put any work into this rifle with such an ugly barrel. The reason I bought another.