More squirrel hunting tips - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:47 PM
rustic bob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Never seen a castrated squirrel in almost 60 years of hunting; until this year, have killed two in my backyard. Both reds.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:27 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic bob View Post
Never seen a castrated squirrel in almost 60 years of hunting; until this year, have killed two in my backyard. Both reds.
I killed one last week. Big fox squirrel.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:12 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All the pics of squirrels I have posted on this forum, I haven’t pointed out. Easily one out of 10 males castrated. Noticed one of the greys killed today was castrated.
I will start showing this when I post pics of squirrels so folks can see.

Will keep a running tally on greys and fox squirrels. X out of Y.
In my comments.
Fox squirrels should have higher percentage. We’ll see.
Come end of Feb I should have enough squirrels pics posted so we can get s pretty good idea. At least for my area.
The real young male squirrels I harvest won’t be counted one way or the other.

Last edited by squirrel1; 10-28-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:31 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrels hunting will sharpen your ability to see movement in the woods. The squirels tail, if not for that they would be certainly a lot harder to spot and harvest. One needs to keep a mental picture of the tail in their mind. And the tail helps big time for a hunter to discern which end of a squirrel is which many times before shooting. The tail however can be positioned a number of different ways. The squirrels ‘s tail especially for Greys is different Shade vs body and especially when you hunt in the rain. The tail will be kept sorta dry vs the squirrel’s main body hair.
A fox squirrels tail is what generally gets them in trouble when they are treed by a dog. Their tail is longer and they s don’t realize it is many times still exposed while they hide in fork of tree.
In the spring and late summer, early fall when it is hotter a squirrels uses their tail to keep flies off of them. This flicking of tail can be seen by the hunter if they will pay attention. Makes squirrels eating hickory in thicker leaved trees easier to spot.
The movement of the front feet of a grey squirrel is helpful (when eating say a hickory nut) to a hunter for spotting squirrels and helps hunter again determine which end of the squirrel is which. Fox squirrels generally eat slower than greys. Hence rolling the nut in their paws not as fast and noticeable.

Squirrels will gnaw on dead animal bones, deer antlers, and even plastic parts, and (anything nonmetal) on deer stands. I harvested a fox squirrel once that I could hear a strange sound, I shot them and they had a small animal bone still in their mouth when I retrieved. The bone found with squirrel had been eaten on quite a bit previously.
Squirrels will eat on your house, your car, wiring, etc. they can be very damaging so they need to be controlled near your residence if at all possible. Some landowners allow me to hunt because their auto wiring has been damage by squirrels multiple times.

So squirrels like to gnaw.
Do they wear out their front teeth?
Don’t think so.
They grow loads actually so as squirrels does wear them down they keep growing.
How much do the front teeth grow?
https://oakborofamilydentistry.com/b...mmal-squirrel/

This gnawing btw is what gets a lot of squirrels killed by a hunter in hickory nut season. A distinct sound is made.

Last edited by squirrel1; 10-28-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:11 AM
darkdave.32
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
Squirrels chewing each others nut's off, come on. Do you think a squirrel is going to hold still and let another squirrel chew it's nuts off and not run off or something...jeez!

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/sm...ther-squirrels
Old 10-29-2020, 10:43 AM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Squirrel1...Here in Southern Illinois in the woods that I hunt, grays seem to outnumber fox squirrels at least 20:1 such that I quit shooting fox squirrels. However, I did pop one off the roof of my house last week after hearing gnawing sounds coming from my attic. Those CB caps do a number on them at 30' and are quiet enough to use in town.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:22 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdave.32 View Post
Squirrels chewing each others nut's off, come on. Do you think a squirrel is going to hold still and let another squirrel chew it's nuts off and not run off or something...jeez!

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/sm...ther-squirrels
quote from above link:
“Unlike humans, the testes of male squirrels undergo a seasonal cycle where they decrease in size and ascend into the lower abdomen,” Koprowski said. “The testes recrudesce again as breeding season approaches. This means that the testes are being withdrawn from the scrotum in late summer and fall, and then descending again in winter and early spring.

“Further, the testicles of young-of-the-year males often don’t drop until their first birthday. As a result, there are almost always male squirrels without obvious testes in the woods, and that contracted scrotum can resemble a scar to the uninformed.”

IMA a lot of squirrels don't make it to their 2nd birthday.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:01 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG3 View Post
Squirrel1...Here in Southern Illinois in the woods that I hunt, grays seem to outnumber fox squirrels at least 20:1 such that I quit shooting fox squirrels. However, I did pop one off the roof of my house last week after hearing gnawing sounds coming from my attic. Those CB caps do a number on them at 30' and are quiet enough to use in town.
Greys out number Fox squirrels here is high numbers too. Fox squirrels don’t have as many babies vs greys. And they don’t live as long (natural life span) I do think fox squirrels live a little longer than grays due to predators. Hawks, bobcats, etc.

But in some areas, areas with higher fox squirrel populations seems greys numbers relatively smaller. Some farms I hunt are around 50/50 fix and greys. But a hunter might not think so if they are not careful and observant. They may think area has lot of greys and few fox squirrels. Early in the morning fox squirrels on average not as actively. They might be there alright. Sneaky to be as big as they are. While you are picking up dead greys one has shot the fox squirrels up there watching being quiet. Till you leave.
You learn how to sneak up on a fox squirrel, you’ll have no problem sneaking up on most grey squirels.

Last edited by squirrel1; 10-29-2020 at 04:04 PM.