Which .17 Hmr will shoot less than 1" @ 100 yds - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:35 PM
BruceG
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

I have a CZ 453 that will shoot one hole groups at 100 yrds and my Marlin 917 will shoot close to that. The CZ hasn't had anything done to it beyond putting a scope on it. The Marlin has a rifle basic trigger and is sporting a Boyds stock.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:34 PM
reddog1
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its the ammo

Most of the heavy barreled 17's will shoot well and some will shoot 1" @ 100 yds. I have found that the biggest variable is the ammo and it all shoots differently. I have tried it all and I never wasted time weighing any of it. I settled on Hornady ammo in mine although it sometimes let me down but then sometimes I let myself down shooting too. But when shooting sage rats out to 100 yds or so it is plenty accurate enough. Otherwise, get a center fire rifle caliber like I did. My custom 6BR is lights out on sage rats to 400 yds if the wind cooperates. Heck, get one of each and you are set.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:36 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had three 17 hmrs.
Savage with heavier barrel.
Marlin with lighter barrel.
Marlin with heavier barrel.
Savage 93r17 with heavy barrel shot terrific.
Marlin with heavy barrel I had would shoot around corners. Tried all available 17 ammo.

Yep that one savage was a real shooter. Sold it to neighbor. Should have kept it.
One demo 3 round group I did at 100 yArds and he bought quickly- 12 years ago.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:33 PM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Every Marlin and Savage heavy barrel I have ever had any experience with would easily do sub 1 inch 3 shot groups on a calm day. That's a total of 4, two from each manufacturer.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
the skills to yank the trigger
I think I found your problem David.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:31 AM
Akboater
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Accurate .17 HMR's

Between the wife and I, we have a dozen or so .17HMR's. The most accurate are the Volquartsen and the Sako Quad. I'd rate the CZ's right up there and the Browning's aren't far behind. From there, the rest of the .17's aren't quite as accurate but mostly due to triggers and glass that maybe isn't as good. If accuracy is the ultimate goal, I'd go with my Volquartsen but it's a bit on the hefty side. Past 100 yards, I'll reach for my .17 Hornet Ruger 77/17 and past about 300, I'll likely pick my Steyr 30-06. Anything beyond 400 is too difficult to see anyway (at least as far as I'm concerned!). Love the .17 HMR's, great little caliber!
Old 04-28-2020, 05:30 PM
Meroh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhbuckmark View Post
My CZ 457 Varmint (heavy barrel) shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. It seems to prefer CCI V-Max ammo but Federal and Hornandy did fine too.

It also has the finest stock trigger I have ever shot. Easy to adjust and very crisp. Mine is set at 1.5 lbs.

Finally, the walnut wood stocks are beautiful and classic.

I would deem this a "medium" weight rifle. Not super heavy but not as light as a cheap plastic stock rifle with a thin barrel.
I have a CZ455 Canadian and it seems to have the same ammo preferences. Slightly lighter barrel than the varmint, but still a medium in my books. Winchester ammo was crap. Remington is OK; but CCI V-Max and Hornady are the most accurate.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:48 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
I have a CZ 453 that will shoot one hole groups at 100 yrds and my Marlin 917 will shoot close to that. The CZ hasn't had anything done to it beyond putting a scope on it. The Marlin has a rifle basic trigger and is sporting a Boyds stock.
One hole groups at 100 yards..........are you saying it does this with regularity? Are you shooting 2 or 3 shot groups? Regardless, I'd have a photo of that one for sure.

Remember, we are talking about a .17 caliber bullet that makes very small holes. I'm not saying it didn't happen but I'd have to see it to believe it.

What would sound better and is probably true would be to say, " my 453 shot a one hole group once at 100 yards, I know it was pure luck but theoretically it does have the ability to do that. However this is not the norm for this rifle".

Always remember, I'm just here to help out.

Based on some of my targets shot at 55 yards, I may have a shot at shooting 1" or less groups at 100 yards.

Tikka T1x.

Anschutz 1717, I'm still working with this one.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:32 PM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
I would love to see you in action if you're claiming this consistent. I for one dont buy it ...
Old 04-29-2020, 07:29 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
One shot, one hole, every time, unless ...

I will shoot, one shot, one hole, every time. Unless I don't hit the paper, then no hole. Nah, I do not believe five shot one hole groups at 100 yards with any rimfire rifle. Not even with the best conditions and using windflags. Now can an occasional fluke group of five do that, law of probability says yes. Might even happen two or three times in a lifetime of shooting.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:08 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few more test results with the Anschutz 1717. I believe on a calm day this rifle would shoot maybe 75% under 1" with the Norma ammo and possibly others.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:01 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (100)
You have to quantify these things. My recently-acquired CZ 452 Varmint in .17HMR will shoot three shots within an inch at 100 yards from a bench with a front rest. This old man shooting the same rifle standing free hand would be lucky to.put three shots into a paper plate at 100 yards.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:10 AM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
Weights

If you want an eye opening experience with this ammo, weight sort it. The weights are all over the place.

But if you do sort by weight you will get MUCH better groups.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:35 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Weight sort 17 hmr?

I did.

1 full brick, 500 cartridges, 0.1 grain intervals.

Absolute waste of time.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=686713
Old 05-07-2020, 08:13 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Three shots at 50 yards? First three shots from a clean cold bore...Was checking the zero after it sitting for a long while, guess that was okay.