Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Custom Shop Competition tear down, review, range report

63K views 183 replies 31 participants last post by  georgejzeck 
#1 · (Edited)
My Custom Shop Competition (CSC) came in on 02-25-2019. Since then I have put about 150 rounds through it and a good friend of mine has put about 120 through it during his ammo test of it. So far I really like the rifle and feel it is definitely the 10/22 Ruger should have started producing years ago. Do I think it was worth the extra cost over a regular 10/22; most definitely. Worth it over the target lite; in most ways yes (my wife has a target lite so there will be multiple comparisons to it). Anyways, on with the actual detailed review and range report.

*Overall Fit and Finish/Initial Impressions

-The rifle ships in a simple hard sided case that greatly resembles the $10 Flambeu case I picked up at Walmart last year. When you open it up you will find the rifle inside a plastic sleeve and held in by 3 hook & loop straps. There is also the normal 10/22 action lock deal along with a formal looking red envelop. Inside the envelope you will find the regular 10/22 owner's manual, the CSC supplemental manual, a custom shop (CS) challenge coin, a CS cleaning cloth, CS decal, and a CS letter of authenticity.

-The stock is laminated and painted grey with a course textured finish. The receiver is, as best as I can tell, a well applied HAIII. It does pick up fingerprints well and might be a bit hard to keep spotless if that is your thing. The barrel is a matte blue/black, I'm not sure what the specific finish is on it and the compensator is also HAIII I believe. Overall fit and finish is pretty good with my only minor gripe being the barrel favors the left side of the barrel channel just a bit. The barrel is still free floated but when we are up in this price range I would like to see it centered. There are no big gaps between the receiver and stock or the trigger group and stock. The barreled action sits firmly in the stock and actually takes a bit of finesse to remove and install. It is not like a regular 10/22 that will slide in and out with very little effort, you actually hear it pop loose upon removal and snap into place when installing.

*Stock and Weight

-Upon picking up the rifle I noticed it isn't a very heavy gun and it balances fairly well. It is a bit muzzle heavy and for that reason I believe Ruger should eventually offer the same rifle, but with a match version of the barrel on the TL for those looking to use it in steel challenge style matches. I plan to use this in NRL22 and as a general use rifle so the balance doesn't bother me much. As it is setup, my rifle weighs 8.8lbs with a 8-32x44 Mueller and a 6-9" Harris bipod.

- The finish on the stock isn't an aggressive texture but does help add some additional grip. I find it to be a welcome feel vs the smooth finish on the target lite (TL).The stock is comfortable for the most part but I find the grip to be a bit small in diameter and short in length. When shooting in positions besides offhand I find my hand waiting to make its way down towards the bottom of the grip and my pinky almost underneath the grip. This could stem though from having used a Ruger American in a MDT chassis for the last year and getting used to a true pistol grip that put my finger tip directly in line with the bottom of the trigger. The adjustable cheek rest is a nice feature but could have been a bit wider. I have not needed to raise it up to use with my scope mounted in low Warne rings. I have adjusted it forward to maintain the correct eye relief and found it easy to adjust.

*Receiver and Barrel

-The receiver is milled from a solid piece of 6061-T6511 and includes an integral 30moa extended picatinny rail. The machining is well done and I have not seen any flaws or machining marks. The rail is clean cut and my Warne rings fit tight with no play. Ruger did get on board with some common upgrades and joined the ranks of KIDD and CST when they added the rear hold down. It is styled after the KIDD but attaches like the CST rear hold down and also features the custom shop logo on top. It adds a fair amount of stability to the action when it is in the stock. The receiver also has a cleaning hole drilled in it but you have to remove the tang to access it. Another added feature is the addition of a screw under the pic rail extension which screws into the receiver while the head rests in a notch in the top of the barrel. From my understanding this is to help reduce barrel droop. I have not yet removed the barrel to see exactly how this works but there are pictures in the manual which shows it. The only real gripe I have with the receiver is the bolt buffer will not stay in place unless you hold it there. It slides freely through the hole without any resistance making it a bit annoying when trying to assemble the rifle.

-The barrel is 16.125" with flutes. ½-28 threads and a small amount of safety writing on the bottom side. It comes with a radial compensator that seems to ever so slightly reduce barrel jump but does, in my opinion, add greatly to the appearance. I expected the comp to make the rifle noticeably louder but that only seems to be true when shooting HV ammo, standard velocity sounds the same as a rifle without a comp. The only real downside to it coming with the comp is there is no included thread protector if you wanted to run it without the comp. According to Ruger the barrel has an improved semi-auto chamber to increase accuracy but maintain reliable operation. I am not exactly for sure how much tighter the chamber is over a standard 10/22 chamber but I have had trouble at times getting unfired rounds to extract when manually cycling the bolt. There have also been times when I have had to give the charging handle a small bump to get it to fully seat a round.

*Bolt and Trigger

-The bolt is probably one of the best features of this rifle. It is a CNC machined bolt with no rough spots like a standard factory bolt. It features a hard black coating which is slicker than a well-greased pig. It comes with a pinned firing pin as well as the rear bottom of the bolt is radiused. The slick coating, quality machining on the bolt, plus the well machined receiver results in the smoothest operating 10/22 I have ever shot. Even when suppressed the rifle is still smooth. The headspace is set at about .043-.044" from what I was able to read with my calipers. The charging handle is oversized and has a non-captured spring.

-The trigger is a BX group with the addition of an auto bolt release and an extended mag release. The trigger pull is 2.1lbs with some creep in the take up and a little bit of over travel, it will most likely get sent to Brimstone for a trigger job and one of their flat faced trigger. The bolt release works just as it should. As for the mag release it too works well and is a very nice addition. It is very easy to push with your trigger finger while still remaining low profile and not presenting a big opportunity for an accidental release. I have noticed though that the mag release does make it a bit harder to find the bolt stop tab but I am getting used to it and it is becoming easier to do with use. The mag release is the only part on the rifle I have seen for sale on Shop Ruger.

*Shooting Impressions

-As I have already said I find this to be the smoothest operating factory 10/22 I have handled. The TL we have has a horribly gritty action even after polishing the receiver and bolt. When I first started shooting the CSC I never cleaned the rifle or did anything to it. It shot 100 rounds without issue and then it started acting up. When I would cycle the bolt it would load a round just fine but when I pulled the trigger it did not fire. I could pull the bolt back and the round would stay in the chamber with only a light primer strike; let go of the bolt, pull the trigger and it would fire plus extract the empty round and load another. At this point the problem would start again. I shot a few more groups with it like this and then stopped until I could clean it. I was able to get it cleaned the next night and the no-fire condition has not been an issue since (somewhere between 150-175 rounds). I am still having problems though with it sometimes not extracting an unfired round and if this persists it will get a new extractor.

-As for accuracy I will let the groups do the talking. I know they might not be as great as you would expect for a "custom shop" rifle but I see potential and feel they will get better with more rounds through it and a more thorough ammo test,

-The first set of groups are from the first day of shooting before I did anything to the rifle. These were also when I was basically hand cycling the action to get it to fire. The weather was sunny, about 50℉, and no wind. They were shot prone at 50yds off a bipod and rear bag, all are 5rd groups using CCI SV. I started on the right and went to the left from bottom to top. The top pic are the first four groups followed by the next seven groups.

-These next targets were shot two days later in 34℉ temps with wind and overcast, windchill was about 27℉. They were shot by a buddy of mine off of his bench using a bipod and rear bag. The first white target is doing a torque test on the two action screws. He started at 10in-lbs and worked up to 35in-lbs in 5in-lbs increments. As you can see the rifle liked the screws being on the tighter side at 35in-lbs. The second target is a torque test on just the rear screw. He left the front screw at 35in-lbs and then adjusted the rear screw from 10in-lbs to 25in-lbs. He ended up settling on 35 for the front and 20 for the rear. Both of the white targets were shot using CCI SV. I don't have a picture of the group but one group was shot with the rear screw not attached and it was the largest group shot. *Due to to many pics in this post, pictures are in second post*

-This target was shot on the same day and same manner as the two torque test targets. It was shot using a variety of Eley and SK ammo. I had run out of Lapua Center-X during the ammo test of my last rifle so it didn't get included. Each ammo has two 5rd groups The stand outs from this test are Eley Club, SK Rifle Match, and SK Pistol Match Special. You might have to enlarge the photos to see it but each group has the ammo, lot number, and group size wrote inside the individual box. Due to the cold weather and windy conditions when this was done, we plan to revisit this ammo test in warmer weather on a calmer day and from a more solid rest. *Due to having too many pics in this post the groups are posted in the second post*

Ammo/ Smallest Group/ Largest Group
CCI SV/ .565/ .661

Eley Target/ .584/ .641

Eley Club/ .369/ .464

Eley Force/ .713/ 1.128

Eley HV HP/ .578/ .707

SK Rifle Match/ .314/ .638

SK Pistol Match Special/ .409/ .511

Wolf Match Extra (Lapua)/ .589/ .633

SK magazine/ .497/ .660

Test/ Group
Eley Club w/ comp .381

Eley Club w/o comp .394

Eley Club w/ suppressor .497

*Summary

-Overall I am pleased with the rifle. It shoots well, handles nicely and has good fit and finish. I got the rifle for $659 plus tax and I feel it was worth it. With all of the features this rifle comes with it would be hard to build an equivalent rifle any cheaper in my opinion. Compared to the target lite I believe it would depend on what you plan to do with the rifle and if you want the added features. The TL we have will also shoot really well, handles well, is better balanced with its lighter barrel and the BX trigger in it is nicer. With that said I would still take the CSC as the action is so much smoother, the bolt already has every upgrade/modification an aftermarket bolt has, the receiver is of better quality and finish, the rear hold down does seem to make a difference and the integral rail is very nice. The TL is now selling for about $510 plus tax so you would save some but by the time you swap the bolt or send it to CPC to get a smoother action, change or mod the bolt release, add an extended mag release, add a 30moa rail (not sure if that is critical for most people), and put on a comp if you want; you aren't far behind the CSC. I feel with the CSC if the accuracy is not good enough for someone then it is a solid platform to fit a true match barrel to such as a Shilen select match grade. One thing that has been discovered is a KIDD two stage will not fit in the stock without relieving some of the wood so be aware of that if you would want to go to one of those. Also with the 30moa rail I had to practically bottom out my scope to get it sighted it, I believe I came up one revolution to get it sighted in at 50yds.

-I hope this overly long review has been worth while for someone and answers any questions you might have, if not I'll do my best to answer them.

See less See more
#142 ·
Well I finally got a chance to see one up close today, and the barrel has a small notch on the top for the new barrel locator. That kinda sucks.
In order to fit in any other barrel you would need to have a gunsmith modify it.
They should have just made it a threaded barrel.

#144 ·
Joshua sorry for the late reply. Glad you got your answer and really I don't see much of a need to worry about rebarreling this rifle unless you wanted to get a Shilen barrel blank fitted. If that was the case you could have the blank machined to fit the receiver.

As for the scope I'm not sure if it would work or not, I'm not that up to speed on how to calculate that.

#146 ·
I've taken mine out a few times and tried SK Rifle Match, Wolff Match Extra, and CCI SV. Right off the CCI SV jammed so often it wasn't worth the effort. However, after putting 50+ Wolff though it, the SV started feeding fine. I guess it just needed some Wolff wax in the action. After that first day, that's been a recurring theme. When SV does feed later in the session, it shoots about equal to the Wolff ME. I wish I could get it to feed SV right off, save some coin. After every session there are some lead flakes in the action and stuck on the bolt face. I'm pretty sure it's shaving the CCI SV even when it does feed.

Otherwise, I can't believe how well this rifle shoots. It has surpassed my expectations.

#147 ·
I've taken mine out a few times and tried SK Rifle Match, Wolff Match Extra, and CCI SV. Right off the CCI SV jammed so often it wasn't worth the effort. However, after putting 50+ Wolff though it, the SV started feeding fine. I guess it just needed some Wolff wax in the action. After that first day, that's been a recurring theme. When SV does feed later in the session, it shoots about equal to the Wolff ME. I wish I could get it to feed SV right off, save some coin. After every session there are some lead flakes in the action and stuck on the bolt face. I'm pretty sure it's shaving the CCI SV even when it does feed.

Otherwise, I can't believe how well this rifle shoots. It has surpassed my expectations.
Mine just doesn't like CCI SV even after I sent it back and got a new barrel. It shoots SK Standard Plus and Wolf Match Extra really well though. The CCI SV just doesn't group good even when it feeds. I'm thinking (like you) that it is still shaving it even when it feeds and that is affecting accuracy.

I am really happy with my rifle. Just looking forward to cooler weather to get back to shooting it. The heat and humidity here just takes all the fun out of it.

#148 ·
That stinks you guys are still having problems with SV. Mine has been running everything just fine after the first 1k rounds or so. It was frustrating for a while but now it runs great and shoots the SV just fine. It will easily do, on the large side, .5" groups at 50yds with the SV. I have shot several groups smaller than that though.

#152 ·
Do any of you all have a KIDD with the rear tang to compare to the Custom Shop? I am curious is they are the same foot print.
I don't have a CSC but I do have regular Ruger and Kidd receivers. If the CSC has the same dimensions as every other 10/22 receiver then it will have a slightly different footprint than a Kidd receiver. I probably would have never known this if I didn't start using Tony Melee stocks. His tolerances are so tight on his stocks that you have to let him know which receiver you are using when you order one. I tried putting a Ruger receiver in my Nighthawk stock that was built for a Kidd and it wouldn't go in. The Kidd fits like a glove. Same goes for the other way around. I had a Nighthawk Shadow made for a Ruger receiver and a Kidd won't fit it.

#153 ·
That's good to know. It sounds like that would mainly be a concern on a custom stock like that then. I am contemplating changing stocks on my CSC but want to keep the rear tang. There are a few stocks available that are already setup to accept a KIDD with the rear tang so I'm trying to figure out if one of those will work.

#155 ·
My Feddersen receiver won't fit the TM Avenger and NightHawk stocks.

My TI receivers do though.

The actions with barrels do not even fall off sans action screw when I I turn them belly up--even my heavyweight with the stainless TI receiver and 18" KIDD bull barrel combo.

So true about the TM stocks having tight tolerances.

I have been reiterating that no one out there beats the TM stocks when it comes to fit and finish.

#165 ·
It has now been over a year since I got my CSC and I can say I'm still happy with it. It will shoot .5" or better at 50yds with a variety of ammo and is a capable 200-300yd rifle (haven't taken time to go past that.)

CCI SV still isn't very reliable in this rifle though even after several thousand rounds through it at this point. I have found it likes Federal Automatch and therefore have been buying it in bulk now. I know some rifles don't like it but this one will cluster 5 rounds into a .5" group and I can still consistently hit a .5" target at 100yds provided I do my part.

The trigger seems to have gotten a bit better as well now that it is broke in and while I wouldn't mind to send it to Brimstone at some point, it's pretty good as it is.

(If the images are too large please shrink them, I caen find how to shrink them)

#166 ·
I had a chance to shoot one of the custom shop competition 10/22 rifles, for a factory rifle it was pretty impressive, this was the fluted stainless version that belongs to a friend of mine.

#167 ·
New 10/22 Competition

Hello! New to Rimfire Central.

I just purchased the new 10/22 competition with the Green Mountain Stock.

I happen to find this thread after the purchase (still waiting to pick up).

Anyone know if Ruger has fixed the barrel issue?

I was excited about the purchase but now I'm a little concerned. I hope I don't have to send back in. Also, the last few years I have been buying mostly CCI SV so it would be a same if i didn't function.

#168 ·
Hello! New to Rimfire Central.

I just purchased the new 10/22 competition with the Green Mountain Stock.

I happen to find this thread after the purchase (still waiting to pick up).

Anyone know if Ruger has fixed the barrel issue?

I was excited about the purchase but now I'm a little concerned. I hope I don't have to send back in. Also, the last few years I have been buying mostly CCI SV so it would be a same if i didn't function.
Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to be honest and say at this point I don't remember what the barrel issue was/is you are referring to.

As for CCI SV mine still won't cycle it and the rifle has several thousand rounds through it at this point. It runs everything else I have put in it just fine (admittedly besides the intial ammo tests in my OP review the only ammo it has had is Federal Automatch and SK Standard Plus). I now run the SK exclusively through it and not only did it resolve the feeding issue it provided more consistent accuracy.

#169 ·
i just got my ruger 10/22 competition rifle custom shop last week and have been out twice with it and love it

i have put 400 rounds through it with 10 different ammos and not one single malfunction

here are my pics from day 1 ammo testing (50yards)
it was hot as hell and humid that day and i am surprised i shot this well
sk standard plus was the stand out (which i ended up using in my 6x5 i shot yesterday that avg .343)

the trigger will take sometime for me to get used to there seems to be no defined wall

maybe i could have built a better cheaper one but i am very very happy with the one i got and at just over $600

will do some 100 yard ammo testing when the weather is nice

#173 ·
i just got my ruger 10/22 competition rifle custom shop last week and have been out twice with it and love it

i have put 400 rounds through it with 10 different ammos and not one single malfunction

here are my pics from day 1 ammo testing (50yards)
it was hot as hell and humid that day and i am surprised i shot this well
sk standard plus was the stand out (which i ended up using in my 6x5 i shot yesterday that avg .343)

the trigger will take sometime for me to get used to there seems to be no defined wall

maybe i could have built a better cheaper one but i am very very happy with the one i got and at just over $600

Thats great accuracy from a factory rifle, well done, I am thinking a nice bedding job would turn that rifle into one heck of a shooter. :bthumb:

#172 · (Edited)
Finally out to the range.
Windy.
50 yd zero.
Athlon 4.5-27 Gen2 - Athlon rings
APLR3 reticle
Eley Semi-Auto Benchrest
First shot at 25yds to verify zero was about 2” high and 2” left.
Zeroed at 25 and then zeroed at 50.
No problems with the 30MOA rail.
100% functioning right out of the box.
Trigger is light with just a hint of creep.
Best group.
Suppressor is a must as you only hear the action cycling.
When the wind dies down we are going to 100yds and beyond.
This is one great little rifle!!!
Read all the Posts in this Thread.
I did not clean or disassemble the rifle in anyway before the range.
I have zero plans to dissemble.
Rifle should shoot reliably right out of box which is did.
I usually now shoot with CMP Eley since new Winchester T22 bricked my Rem 547 Custom Target.
I was concerned that the CMP might not function well in a semi-auto so purchased a case of Eley Semi-auto benchrest.
Only shot 100 rnds today but no malfunctions of any kind.
Trigger is fine, just a very little creep.
I’ve been shooting 22 lr competition for decades, I just don’t agonize over little things
but shoot the best I can.
-Richard

Attachments

#174 · (Edited)
“ trigger will take sometime for me to get used to there seems to be no defined wall ”
I agree 100%.

Second range day.
CMP Eley had function problems.
My 30 year old Win Wildcat 100% function with groups good wnough for hunting.
Eley Semi auto benchrest still the standout with 100% functioning for over 100rounds.
Best 50 yd group pictured left and then best 100 yd group.
10mph cross wind was playing with windage at 100 yds.
Best 100 yd group right picture.
Next purchase is a wind flag.

Attachments

#176 · (Edited)
I've got some Tenex that I use for my CZ 457 LRP. Haven't tried it in my CSC as I don't want to have to reseason the barrel to SK/Lapua lube but now I'm tempted to see if works.

Also, I tried putting a Timney Calvin Elite in my CSC yesterday and it would not fit. The highlighted section is taller than the sake area on the factory BX group therefore the barreled action would not rotate fully into the stock. I ended up putting it in my wife's Target Lite and it fit like an absolute glove. Before you could grab the barrel and it would wiggle in the stock, now it's acts like it has been bedded and had a rear button put on the receiver.

#177 ·
New River Custom 10/22

Just picked up a Custom Shop 10/22. It is the laminated stock with dark barrel (unlike on Ruger website). The serial number is less than 100.

My question. I'm looking at scopes with 60 moa elevation. With the 30 moa rail on the rifle, I'm assuming a couple of moa to account for scope mounting height and a moa or so for trajectory for 50 a yard zero. This would lead to a zero around 3 moa from full down on the scope. Is this realistic, or should I be looking at scopes with more elevation adjustment. I don't want to have to return a scope that doesn't work on this rifle.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.