Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Frustrated Targeter

5K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Notna 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, Henry here and this is only my fourth post.
I have a mid-1930s Woodsman 6.65" barrel and I'm a bit disappointed with it's performance, and I'm wondering if I should take it to a gunsmith for servicing.
When I took it to the range, I placed 10 clay pigeons on the 200yd berm and tried to shoot them with Federal Target-Match LRN ammo, but I seem to be able to only hit 2-3 clays out of 10 rounds attempted.
I had always heard of what an accurate pistol these were and being reluctant to take out Gramps old Colt for fear of putting a scratch on it, I hemmed & hawed for years before I got up the gumption to try it, but after I cleaned & oiled it I took it out only to find that it took almost 40 rounds to hit all 10 clays. :(
I don't know a good smith to send it off to, but if this mediocre performance is normal for these then I guess I'll just put it away or use it for a short-range plinker?

Thank you in advance for your input,
Henry

#4 ·
I had a longer response typed in but think I'll hold off and see what others have to say. If you're expecting to run 10 hits in a row on a clay pigeon with one of those pistols at 200 yards with open sights you must be doing amazing things with a rifle at that distance.

We shoot a lot of 22 pistols at long range including some customs which will do what you're looking for but it sounds like you're doing as well as can be expected with what you have. Adding some type of optic will really help and getting a solid consistent setup to position the gun is a major factor unless you're doing this offhand and then you're accomplishing something most of us meer mortals can not offer suggestions on.

Looking forward to other responses.

Topstrap

#10 · (Edited)
Performance

An entertaining "story".

For those interested in a few stat's.
Federal AutoMatch Target 40 gr, 1200 fps.

Elevation calculation.
Initial Velocity.... 1200 fps.
Zero Range.... 50 yds.
Target Range 200 yds., bullet drop of 46.32"
Time to Target.... 0.61 seconds
Velocity at Target.... 870 fps.

Windage.... Assuming 10 mph at 90 degrees.
Drift.... 18.43"

A shooter might get better shooting results with better ammunition.. Just saying....

Regards,
Tom Platt
prewoodsman@gmail.com

#7 ·
If you could hit all 10 of those clays at 200 yards offhand, you would definitely be the greatest pistoleer to have ever lived!
You should be in the Olympic games; the Gold would be yours no contest. :t
Even off of a bench rest, that would be an awesome achievement that few could accomplish.

#13 ·
If you have already cleaned the barrel, why don't you dial it back to something reasonable like 2 inch squares or shoot and see sticky bullseyes at 25 yards. If it won't group under an inch off sand bags, then take it to a gunsmith. You are expecting to be a star quarterback throwing hail marry passes that connect every time:p

Something like this would be a good target to test your pistol out.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/bir...erm=4577129470982377&utm_content=All Products

#15 · (Edited)
Edited this post, probably wasn't sharing info comparing apples to apples and accuracy that is attainable with specialized pistols and hitting targets at longer distances. Hope we didn't scare the OP off and he continues sharing and asking questions.

I'll share yesterday's findings shooting at a clay pigeon in the long range section where it probably belonged in the first place. Was not to over shadow his claims but more to show with right equipment it's possible.

Topstrap

#17 ·
Well I do appreciate all the input and some very interesting replies they were. I guess I just don't want to leave youth behind and was imagining I could keep up with what I used to do, back 40 years gone.

I am interested though in that idea one Gentleman posted of trying better ammo because I've seen $20/50 rounds ammo and wondered if it would help much.

I just wish the darn thing wasn't so light because it shakes too easily in my aging hands, but I was bench resting, at least I rested my wrist on some sand bags on the bench but the pistol was still only touching skin.

Too darn bad they didn't drill and tap for a small pistol scope, I'd certainly love to give that a try, even though Gramps always taught that ''Using a scope was for Cheaters''.
- He was a hard man from a hard time who carved a life out of the dirt for himself, his wife and 8 children and I guess he must have thought that nothing in life should be easy.

Maybe I can save a little coin if someone would be so kind as to provide advice on which more expensive ammo is best for that range accuracy from a pistol, and I do believe I should keep the velocity under sonic or it might go all squirrelly when it slows down.

I'll wager all that Rockefeller priced ammo is under sonic to insure it holds a stable line, but I wouldn't know where to begin to throw away $20 bills.

Might there be someone who's had good luck with a certain some of them pricey rounds in your pistol?

Thank you again for all the kind and helpful input.
- Henry

#18 · (Edited)
I too, am impressed with any hits on a clay target at 200, even at 100, 2 out of 10 is not bad.
As for ammo, most folks shooting .22 handguns seem to be quite satisfied with CCI Standard velocity. You should be able to find it, even now, at about $4.00 per box. You would be wasting money to spend $15.00 to $20.00 a box in just about any handgun.

#19 ·
2 out of 10 on clays with a .22lr at 200 yards would be decent accuracy with a scoped rifle. I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to shoot an open sight pistol at that distance before, as least not seriously.

My recommendation would be to add a 16"-18" barrel and at least a 20× scope then try again.....Even then you would probably need something a little better than bulk ammo.

#23 ·
IMHO it's truly NOT believable.
I shoot precision rifle. My equipment is a Vudoo V22-S shooting off a Farley Co-Axial rest. My optic is Sightron III 45X45. The ammo I use is Lapua Ctr-X. We shoot steel 2" animals and life savers at 100yds and baby aspirin glued to a card at 50. I find it quite hard to believe this guy can clear 10 clay's at 200 yds with IRON SIGHTS! I'd have to see it to believe it. Not saying it isn't possible mind you. I've seen some pretty amazing things but this, this is tough to swallow.
Again, just my opinion.

#24 ·
This story reminds me of a story told by the great hand gunner Elmer Keith

Elmer told the "story" in his book Hell I was There. The story goes that he claimed to have killed five jackrabbits at somewhere over 100 yds. with one shot of his 44 mag. There was speculation that he must have got 5 of them lined up, he finally admitted that it was a pregnant doe rabbit. And it took three or four tries before he hit it. My Dad told me a long time ago to not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. No offence Woodsman1936 but I don't believe that "story"

#25 ·
Elmer told the "story" in his book Hell I was There. The story goes that he claimed to have killed five jackrabbits at somewhere over 100 yds. with one shot of his 44 mag. There was speculation that he must have got 5 of them lined up, he finally admitted that it was a pregnant doe rabbit. And it took three or four tries before he hit it. My Dad told me a long time ago to not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. No offence Woodsman1936 but I don't believe that "story"
Your dad was right! Good advice!

#27 ·
Ammo

Standard velocity only in that pre-Woodsman. As for your accuracy, be happy. 200 yards? Save your money and forget the gunsmith. Enjoy that sweet old pistol. I've got one. Family heirloom. The story was back in the 30's my great uncle Will would shoot pigeons off the barn roof from the front porch and rarely miss. About 60 yds. Try that sometime. When I was younger I loved that teeny notch and that teeny bead. Now at 66, not so much. My kid shoots it well though. 35, still good eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.