Summit Build with Boyds At-One stock questions - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:33 AM
flyerone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VQ Summit

Like nodak says, buy the full Summit from VQ, add a scope and your done. I've got two summits from VQ. First is a 17m2, stainless steel receiver, light weight carbon wrapped barrel, Magpul stock with a Leupold 3-9x33 VX Freedom. This is my walk-around squirrel rifle. Best balanced rifle I own. Second summit is a .22, stainless steel receiver, stainless bull barrel, Magpul stock also with a Leupold 3-9x33 VX Freedom. Kind of on the heavy side. I shoot this one mainly at the range and off my back porch for woodchuck control. I've had no problems with feeding/extraction/ejection with either gun.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
I came across a (supposedly new) Volquartsen Summit action at a really low price (no trigger but I have some 10/22 assemblies that should work) and jumped on it.

I have a Beyer 18" lightweight barrel in .17 HM2 that will go on it... and a nylon Hogue stock to use while setting it up.

I'm curious how much trouble it will be to get it running without issues, but I'm no stranger to tinkering, so let the fun begin.

Happy 4th to all y'all.

Last edited by 9x19; 07-03-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:42 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately, not a lightweight, but RSC is one of the best sellers out there:

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...tegory_Code=PR

I like doing business with this store; they are fast and prompt.

Oh, he does have a lightweight version but only in 17HM2:

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...tegory_Code=PR

Last edited by Rick67; 07-04-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:27 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
I came across a (supposedly new) Volquartsen Summit action at a really low price (no trigger but I have some 10/22 assemblies that should work) and jumped on it.

I have a Beyer 18" lightweight barrel in .17 HM2 that will go on it... and a nylon Hogue stock to use while setting it up.

I'm curious how much trouble it will be to get it running without issues, but I'm no stranger to tinkering, so let the fun begin.

Happy 4th to all y'all.
I just recently did the VQ firepin/extractor upgrade and it has help with extraction to be 100% well worth the $40. As far as triggers , they all work. You can tend to get a lighter pull weight if you tune your own. All because it's not semi auto. I truly enjoy mine even over my Decked out CZ455 17hm2.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:47 PM
plinker4life
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I have a very early original PWS Summit. After what seems to be maybe 10 years of tinkering with it, multiple barrels, trigger groups, and stocks.

Tuning tricks I have learned that work well for me. When shimming the barrel I find I works best to shim right to the point that the lever will not unlock on its own when fired. And no more. I am guilty of running one too tight, and you risk breaking your lever on top of making it hard to cycle. I think a lot of people are running their levers too tight.

Next trick that made the world of difference with extracting but also cycling in general. Detune your rotory magazine to where it has minimal spring tension. Just enough to spin the rotor with cartridges. But don’t try the mag in your 10/22 after you do this. It will likely not cycle.

These 2 things helped me the most while struggling to get my PWS running smooth.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:45 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
I'll try the detuning the mags. I've always was going to try that but hadn't yet. I had just purchased two complte TandonKross DoubleKross kits and they are working well. I also had to smooth out the extractor slot on my barrel so the extractor had its best chance to "hook" the rim.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
I finally got my Summit assembled today, went together without issues, range time next week.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:54 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
I finally got my Summit assembled today, went together without issues, range time next week.
Looks good! We'll all be interested in your range reports.
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
T Picard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a summit M2 together a couple years ago. The only tricky thing is shiming the barrel for bolt lock up. I run a VQ Cf barrel, kidd single stage. Boyds atone thumbhole. Burris black diamond 4-16. Sig muffler
It shoots fabulous.