July 2021 50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:28 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
July 2021 50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot

50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot July 2021

June 2021 Results
Soliciting a better way of making a monthly score graphic.? Any help or ideal would be appreciated. I am going to move completely to a tablet in the near future. (android) Right now creating in spreadsheet then copy to over to photoshop. This 1993 computer will not last much longer. All info will be considered.

50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot

I see this shoot as a place where we may keep track of our own shooting improvements, compare our shooting abilities with our fellow shooters, and to brag a little.

OK, lets start:
Iron Sight (Globe & Peep)
Matches start on the first day of each month and end on the last day of the month. Scores to be reported by the 2nd- 4th day of the following month. A Score Bulletin with all shooters names posted on the 4th or 5th day of the following month.
TARGETS TO BE USED IN THIS MATCH: NRA A 23/5 target. Note: This target is only for 50 yards. Five shots are fired at each bull for a total possible score of 200-20X.
The "HOW TO SCORE"

Ammunition is shoot what you have.
Optical front lens are permitted but limited to 1.5X. Shooters may use tube extensions on either their front or rear sights as long as they do not contain any optical magnification and the extensions do not form one solid tube between sights; i.e., there must be a distinguishable distance between the front and rear tubes making them separate. Shooters may use any type or color of front sight insert (clear, amber, etc.) and after market eyepieces or discs on their rear sight (Merit, Hadley, Gehmann, etc.) as long as the inserts or discs do not offer any optical magnification.
From the front edge of the bench to the face of the target: 50 yards.
You may shoot on an indoor range, please note it when post your score.
The let's not:
have any rail guns, or benchrest stocks. Any rifle with a benchrest type stock or a custom action or a factory action that has been "blueprinted" will not be allowed in this class. A benchrest stock is one that has a forend with a flat bottom, more than 2.7 inches wide, and/or has the bottom of the buttstock parallel or near parallel to the bottom of the forend. Bench Rest Blocks (plates attached to the accessory rail or stock) are not permitted.
At the end of the year (early January) I will compile all of a persons scores divided by 12 (months in a year) and post a yearly score.
I would like for everyone to report their score and equipment information as follows

Example:
Your name or screen name
Rifle, ammo, score
Equipment list (rest front/rear, any thing special about your setup)
Weather/or shot indoors
Excuses: Anything you would like us to know about your shooting day.
Would be nice if you could post a photo of your setup.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:01 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ken_N
Anschutz 64 mpr, Eley Tenex @1051, 197 8x
McRee chassis, front bipod, rear sandbag, Anschutz 6805 rear sight, Gehmann iris, Anschutz duo iris front, 0.5 front diopter
Slightly unsettled overcast day, 5-10 wind at 11:00, around 72 degrees

Combined image from the scoring app
48-1x, 50-2x, 49-2x, 50-3x

I知 finding this slower ammo @1051 FPS is shooting really well. I知 starting to keep track of the FPS. By time I shoot a box from a lot# the lot is long gone so I知 hoping to find some fps ranges that work well for me in this rifle.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got two more targets in today. Best one from today got me one more point. Similar weather.

Ken_N
Anschutz 64 mpr, Eley Tenex, 198-8x
McRee chassis, front bipod, rear sandbag, Anschutz 6805 rear sight, Gehmann iris, Anschutz duo iris front, 0.5 front diopter
Slightly unsettled overcast day, 5-10 wind at 11:00, around 72 degrees

50-1x, 49-2x, 50-1x, 49-4x

I also tried some SK Standard+ today for the first time, and that shot really well. Used the scope and got some great groups. I was surprised to find it made the bolt hard to open. I知 not sure what that was about, but I知 going to try some more of that ammo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2021, 12:25 PM
Hanover67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Hanover67
Rob Fates, Alamo, CA July 7
Remington 511, SK Rifle Match ammo, 197-8X
50-2X, 50-3X, 48-1X, 49-2X
Redfield 75 rear and Lyman 20MJT front sights
Protektor front and rear bags

My range is always windy, but I'm learning better how to hold off to compensate
Old 07-31-2021, 02:52 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got two more targets in today, was able to better my previous high by 1. Sorry for 3 posts, take this as my entry for the month.

Ken_N
Anschutz 64 mpr, Eley Match, 199-12x
Sunny morning, occasional breeze from behind, low 70痴

50-3x, 50-5x, 49-3x, 50-1x

Old 08-01-2021, 05:26 AM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover67 View Post

My range is always windy, but I'm learning better how to hold off to compensate
Rob, when you say hold off, do you mean wait for the wind to pass, or do you adjust the sight picture?
Old 08-01-2021, 01:39 PM
Hanover67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Hanover67
Ken N: I adjust the sight picture - Kentucky windage - by slightly moving the front sight picture to allow for win. It doesn't always work. My range sometimes has a really strong, gusty wind condition, so much so that when I'm carrying my target downrange the wind can lift it a lot as I walk. Unfortunately, this range is only open after noon, so I miss the calmer conditions early in the morning. Its frustrating because I'm sure I could do better with less wind. I tried 100 yards on the same range and it was a waste of ammunition.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:07 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you using a post for the front site or a ring?

I知 using a ring and it seems hard to hold for wind. I知 waiting till it calms as much as it might or until I give up and take it anyway. I do notice when walking out to the target the wind is always different then by the bench.