Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:08 PM
FloridaSteve

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walther GSP variations?

Advice on Walther GSP model variations please. I've noticed the early guns (pre 1974) have no slide hold open, whereas 1974 and up have this desirable feature, which I want. Around this time they also eliminated the safety which is fine with me.
My question involves difference in the way the trigger is mounted.
In the 70s the trigger pivoted on the bottom and the were two adjusting screws accessible through a slot under the trigger. In the 80s the trigger is attached or pivots in the rear for a straight back pull?? Is this adjustable, and which is preferred if either?
First pic 1970, shows no slide hold open. 2nd pic 1974, slide hold open and trigger bottom pivot. Last 1984 has a rear mounted trigger. Added 4th pic showing adjustment slot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70 1.jpg (139.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 74 1.jpg (132.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 84 1.jpg (65.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 74 5.jpg (44.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-14-2021, 03:32 PM
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally, assuming the gun is in good shape and hasn't been abused.
- I wouldn't lose any sleep over the trigger adjustment location. How often will you be playing with this? I know I never did...

The only thing that "bug" me about the earlier gun, is how the grip is attached.
- Most newer grips for the GPS will want to be secured by a bolt on the bottom of the grip.
- As far as I remember, the older frame did not have that option

Old 07-14-2021, 08:05 PM
FloridaSteve

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks that is another variation I wasn't aware of. I wonder what year...S/N the change was made. I also read the mag well was changed to allow use of a 32 acp mag, but I don't know when that was either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2021, 09:09 PM
stephen_maly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
GSP variations

All the GSP triggers pivot at the top. The trigger blade in some is connected at the bottom to allow easier attachment and adjustment. These are single stage triggers.
The later ones are not strait-back pull, but two-stage (pivoting at the top), with the trigger blade which is adjustable for rotation parallel to the barrel axis and protrusion to accommodate longer or shorter fingers.
I think they only make two-stage triggers today. In theory, a two-stage trigger allows a release with less motion of the pistol at let-off. Also, when the center fire barrels and slides were devised, they were made in .32 S&W long; not .32 ACP.

Last edited by stephen_maly; 07-14-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: more information added
Old 07-15-2021, 06:52 AM
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Speaking of GSP, spare magazines are (were) available in 5 and 7 rds variant

And you could easily adapt S&W M41 magazine to work, if you needed/wanted to have 10rds. Just file the notch on the back. The M41 magazine could also be made to work in a Hammerli 208 (but that's for a different thread, I guess)
- Seems like recent production M41 magazines are slightly thicker than the older one. Some stoning might be needed for them to fit properly.

Before the "Expert" came out, they were offered in two barrel length.
- The shorter allowed you to use a grip with more support... while giving up some right radius... and still fit in the box (Assuming you're playing the ISSF game)

Old 07-25-2021, 07:11 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
Thanks that is another variation I wasn't aware of. I wonder what year...S/N the change was made. I also read the mag well was changed to allow use of a 32 acp mag, but I don't know when that was either.
The change was made at serial 67001 in 1976. Walther also omitted the safety then. The change to .32 S&W Long also brought a larger mag well along. The newer rimfire mags have a spine in front and will not work in pre 1976 mag wells.

GSP mags are also available in 10 rounds, FWIW.