Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:50 AM
BillD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most accurate ammo for Quad.

Guys I need your help. I've been bragging about the virtues of owning Sako rifles and have been called out. Next month at our shoot then pub lunch I've been instructed to bring the .22LR Quad. I haven't really shot the thing too much and had better luck with the .17HMR. So other than eat humble pie and have to buy all the drinks I at least need to start with the most suitable ammo. I've tried a few such as CCI SV, Winchester, Aquila, and a few others without much joy. Then tried SK Standard Plus that we get at the pistol club. This worked the best, but any other ideas?
Old 07-08-2021, 01:14 PM
beelu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Quad has a bit over 1500 rounds through it. Last time out I shot .4-.5 OD groups with Eley Match and Eley Pistol Match, shooting 5 groups of 5 at 50 yards from a bench, using a front rest and rear bag. Next best over time in my rifle seems to be Wolf Match Target, by maybe .2-.25 inches at 50. Tenex at nearly $20/box was not as consistent in multiple range trip as the Eley Club (about $7 or $8/bx) in my rifle. Neither my T1X with an IBI match barrel, nor my CZ 455 with a Federsen Barrel did well with Tenex. Could be me, could be a lot my rifles just don't care for. CCI SV has been OK, but not nearly as tight as the others- but I paid about $3/bx back before things got crazy. SK Pistol Match and PM Special do well, but cost the same or more than Club. Note that all of my Eley data come from single lot numbers of Eley Club, Match, Pistol Match and Tenex. WMT, SK PM and PMS, and CCI SV results are from several lot numbers. If I had to choose just one, I'd go with Club for my rifles.

Hope this helps
Old 07-08-2021, 06:04 PM
LR308Guy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Before you grab your fork to eat that humble pie, let me ask you a few questions.

1.) what distance are you planning to shoot?
2.) what is the target?
3.) what size groups are you getting now? and at what distance? with what ammo?

Give us something to work with here to help you out more, and to give you an honest assessment on your odds of eating humble pie or crow at your next shooting match.

A fellow Sako Quad shooter

If nothing else just shoot the 17HMR.

Last edited by LR308Guy; 07-08-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2021, 12:15 AM
BillD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR308Guy View Post

If nothing else just shoot the 17HMR.

NOW that's a good idea. I'll say it's a .22. but a particularly skinny .22 bullet...

Umm. 50 yards/50 meters. It's a while since I shot it last. But put it this way, I think I only got invited so the others knew they would not have to buy the drinks. Yes, that bad.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:33 PM
LR308Guy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I looked back thru my shooting logbook for my Sako Quad, mine has a Lilja 21" full bull barrel with a match chamber, so mine is comparing apples to oranges, but.....
It is still a Sako...
But I do own a CZ 452 and it likes the same ammo as my Sako so... go figure.

Shooting at 50 yards/50 meters I have had the best luck with the following in order of best to worst(no larger than 1.0 MOA, no less than 250 rounds).

First four groups out to 150 yards and keeps 1.0 MOA in my Sako
Lapua Center X (@50 yards it is a .18 -.33 MOA) changes with lots;
Lapua Midas
Norma TAC22 (most consistently 0.75-0.80 MOA no better/or worst)
Wolf Match Target

The rest groups out to 50 yards and keeps 0.75-1.0 MOA in my Sako.
Norma Match 22
RWS Rifle Match
Eley Edge
RWS Target Rifle

My Sako did not like anything from CCI, Remington, Federal, or Winchester.

My Sako is a Europtics special build, it is my Open class PRS - NRL22 gun.
more than once I have flicked golf balls off a golf tee at 250 yards. My biggest problem is that I cant do it all the time. The ammo is the weak link when it comes to .22LR varies from lot to lot.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:20 PM
BillD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a discrete practice shoot of the .22 Quad. It was shooting all over the place.

Then I removed the silencer/moderator and suddenly it was shooting quite nicely. It was a cheap and nasty Chinese made silencer so I thought I'd do a bit of gunsmithing on it. I drilled an 8mm hole through it. I guessed it was about 6mm and the bullets were clipping one side of it as they went through causing the inaccuracy and inconstant results. So... I'll give it another test sometime soon and see if it shoots accurately. It should still quieten down OK as I've used this silencer on the .17HMR and it worked OK.

It occasionally didn't eject spent cartridge cases and sometimes didn't cock although closing and pushing down the bolt felt much the same. I gave the bolt (and where the ejector seats) a good clean with automotive brake cleaners, compressed air, then gun oil, so I'll see if it improves.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:35 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Quad Hunter with .22 and .17M2 barrels. Usually just shoot the .22 barrel, as it has been threaded, and I shoot subsonic suppressed. Has a 4x16 Weaver GS on it, very accurate rig.

I have owned an Anschutz 54 and some other high end rimfires and I think Quads are very underrated from an accuracy perspective. Although I use mine mostly for hunting small game, I have run some Center X through it to see what it would do. Have achieved groups in the .2s, but mostly shoot Eley SVHP, which generally groups just under a half inch. I think any mid grade standard velocity ammo would do at least that well.

Not sure if my Quad is typical, but most people seem happy with them. Kind of hard to find one, these days.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:31 AM
Dogwind

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Two same make/model rifles can shoot the same ammunition totally differently.

Mine has shot batches of Tenex under half MOA at 50m but with other batches it groups like a shotgun.

I would suggest you get a selection of different brands/models and see what your rifle likes.

There are numerous threads on this site re ammunition a selection
Old 07-21-2021, 08:06 PM
BillD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An update: The clean fixed the failing to cock and the failing to eject sometimes. Automotive brake cleaner dissolved all the factory grease out of the bolt mechanism, so that is what would have been causing the problems. Now replaced with nice clean thin gun oil.

It's still shooting pretty weirdly with the silencer on it. So I've given up on that. With the SF Standard Plus ammo that I have huge amounts of, it's shooting quite well. I'm getting everything into a 10mm group at 50 metres, with most of the holes touching. So happy with that. Odd about the silencer, but who cares... I may borrow someone else's and see if it does the same or not.