Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 AM
buffdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zastava Z5 / Mossberg 702 Magazines

Last spring, I bought a new Zastava Z5, .22 rimfire rifle for a reasonable price. While setting up the scope, I found I was not happy with the trigger pull and overtravel. Also, the rifle came with one five round magazine and when you live in an area where 300 shots at Gophers on a good day is not an unreasonable amount to fire, then having only one five round magazine creates a lot of loading. The Zastava magazines were scarce here in Canada, and when found, ran into the $35 range.

I disassembled the rifle and adjusted the trigger so that it is now a three pound trigger with a small sear engagement and very little overtravel. I was looking in my “goodie” box for a set of detachable sling swivels when I noticed two Mossberg 702 Plinkster magazines that I had bought in a “box lot” at an auction, along with some other gun parts. I put the Zastava magazine alongside one and it looked very close, so I got out the vernier caliper and measured it. Then, I tried it into the magazine well and it was like it was made at the Zastava Factory in Serbia. Almost perfect.

Proceeding cautiously, I then took the Dremel tool with a cutting disk and cut a slot in the back side of the magazine, using the Zastava magazine as a guide. I cut the slot a bit long, and filed it to fit. Then I tried it into the rifle action. NOTE: The barreled action was out of the stock at the time. There is a small “tab” on the right side of the Mossberg magazine that must be removed so that it will fit the Zastava, but at the time I left it in place so that if the conversion did not work, then it would still fit a Mossberg. It was possible to fit the unaltered tab magazine into the Zastava while it is disassembled because there is a cut out in the right side of the Zastava magazine housing.

With the magazine fitted, it was loaded with five rounds to test loading. There was a bit of drag and the cartridges were angled a bit low for the chamber. A sanding drum on the Dremel quickly removed some plastic from the magazine follower, starting about 1/16 inch at the back and tapering to nothing at the front of the follower, thus providing a slightly steeper angle for the cartridges to enter the chamber. A further test of five and then 10 cartridges loaded from the magazine perfectly. You can see the steeper angle of the Zastava follower in the pictures above of the two magazines side by side.

The magazines I have are the 702 Plinkster model. This magazine was made for the semi-automatic rifle, and as such, the follower is a bit higher so that the bolt is held back open after the last shot is fired. This also works with the Zastava, as the bolt will not close on an empty magazine, but is held open much like a Military bolt action. There are two advantages to this, as it gives you an immediate indication that the magazine is empty, and also the bright red plastic magazine follower shows up well with the bolt open, a safety factor.

With the magazine working well in the disassembled rifle, I then smoothed the old notch for the Mossberg magazine release catch. This makes it easier to withdraw the magazine from the rifle. The last operation was to use the Dremel cutting wheel again to remove the small “tab” from the right side of the magazine. A couple of good blasts of Carburetor Cleaner into the magazine removed the grinding remnants and crud, and it was ready to go.

How well does it work? Last summer I fired over 2000 rounds out of this particular magazine, with absolutely NO jams. The cost was less than half of a Zastava magazine, and they are readily available.

ANOTHER NOTE: A couple of days ago, one of the locals showed up with a Gevelot semi-automatic rifle. These were made in France, and had a ridge machined into the front of the bolt for a firing pin, but no extractor, depending upon the blow back of the cartridge for ejection of the empties. He had no magazine and had not been able to shoot the rifle for almost 20 years. A quick measurement showed the Mossberg magazine was close, so the second magazine, (the one shown packaged above) was tried. It was a bit tight at the front of the magazine well, but these receivers were made of aluminum. About a half-dozen strokes on each side of the magazine well with a round file allowed the magazine to enter. The tab on the side of the magazine was ground off, a notch cut in the front of the magazine for the release, and we tried it out. No follower alteration was necessary for feeding. He brought over three Mossberg magazines he had just bought, (one to replace my magazine) and I modified two more for him in about 15 minutes. Here in Canada, Gevelot magazines start at over $50 so he is a happy camper right now.

Last edited by buffdog; 11-25-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM
lumpocoal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very good info! Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Very nice... I've noticed the base profile is similar to the Mossy 44-US mags, I wonder if something similar could be done to have a inexpensive option for these old warhorses? Of course, some sort of lever/release would need to be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 PM
buffdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mossberg 44 US here. I will have to take a look at it.

This was the first magazine I did for the Zastava, and it was done by hand at the kitchen table with the Dremel so it is a bit "rough" but functional. If I have to make another one, I will use my workshop and the milling machine.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM
454ho

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Just FYI, the Marlin 7 and 10 round mags for the later bolt rifles is also very similar to the Zastava/Serbia mag. Since Marlin does not offer anything less than 7 rounds, I was actually thinking about modifying a 5 round Serb mag with a Marlin style mag latch to get a lower profile on my 917m2.

marlin mag

Last edited by 454ho; 11-25-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: add link
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM
whetrock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very good info. I've been curious about these Zastava rifles for quite some time. I've been concerned a bit about the scarcity of the Mags as well and it's good to know that they could be fashioned from a Mossberg 702, which happen to be common around here, and available at the big box stores. I'm not as much of a tinkerer as I ought to be, but this is interesting food for thought.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 PM
lumpocoal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since we're talking about Zastava magazines, Cabelas now has "limited stock" of OEM 5-round mags, 3/$34.99. I take that to mean they're not re-stocking. Their item #IK-230383. You can get them elsewhere but at a considerably higher price, so... word to the wise. For example, K-Var offers the 5-rounder for $20.59/ea. and the 9-rounder for $25.79/ea.

Comparing a Zastava mag to some pistol magazines I have, it would seem the general architecture is not exactly uncommon. I have a Taurus PT22 pistol mag (8-round) and after trying it in my Zastava I found the Taurus mag slipped right in. It seemed to feed nicely too, without any mods. It just needs a notch cut for the catch. It does appear to be a millimeter or two thinner than the Z mag but I think that could be dealt with if it became an issue. When I tried a magazine from my Bersa 22 pistol, it fit into the magazine well OK but the cartridge was positioned too low to be picked up by the bolt for feeding. It would need more extensive modification than the Taurus mag but I'd say it's a possibility. The angles of the followers in the Zastava, Bersa and Taurus mags all seem to be right at 10 degrees. It may be that there are numerous magazines that could be altered to work in the Z.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:49 PM
SabresBillsfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cabelas is out of the mags and doesn't plan to restock. The Zastava seems like a nice bolt action .22 rifle but the mags being so scarce and price being high for a 5 round mag no wonder why these rifles aren't talked about much.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM
lumpocoal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just checked and Cabelas still has some, unless their site is not up to date. They're listed as EAA Remington Model 5 magazines.

This will no doubt be a dead link before too long but just the same:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104442480

Even if you had to get them from K-Var they don't seem all that expensive, relatively.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM
SabresBillsfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered some from cabelas after seeing this post and I got a notice a couple days later saying the order was cancelled because they no longer are getting those mags. I ended up calling today and speaking to customer service and said the site wasn't up to date!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM
lumpocoal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsfan View Post
I ordered some from cabelas after seeing this post and I got a notice a couple days later saying the order was cancelled because they no longer are getting those mags. I ended up calling today and speaking to customer service and said the site wasn't up to date!
Ahh... thanks for that info. I got a few of them from Cabelas around the first of October. Glad I got them when I did.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:21 AM
AzzurrA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry for the thread-dig, but wondering if there's been any other magazines to come out recently that anyone else has had luck with?

How does a magazine for an 802 compare to the 702 listed above?
Old 05-16-2021, 07:28 PM
imarino

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is another mag model/brand compatible or that can be modified to work in the Zastava MP22?
Thank you!
Old 07-19-2021, 11:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
magazine question

Has anyone used the Pro Mag version of the Mossberg 702 magazine for conversion to a Z5, Remington Model 5 etc?

Randy
Old 07-21-2021, 04:31 PM
imarino

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used the mag of CBC 7022, 8022, 7122 or 8122 with sucess.
Same adjustments needed as the Mossberg.