Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:27 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
With my RART I dial up exactly 5.50 moa from 50 yards to 100 yards...and zero clicks of windage.

Every gun is not the same.
The gun has little to do with it. The ammo, a lot.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:28 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
Not trying Seriously target sizes at matches vary but we have shot down to 4" steel at 300 but most in that area for a standard stage of fire are in the 8-12" area. Getting past that they usually make the targets a little bigger and up to full IPSC at around 400+ but most matches end around the 300-350 area.

Lots of long range .22 matches popping up now. Even NRL22 is adding X matches this year which go to 300+ in addition to their regular matches. Those style matches have drawn me in as I come from a long range centerfire background shooting PRS/Tactical style matches for about 17 years now. Fun to shoot off all different obstacles and props at steel out to long ranges.
Thanks, They have NRL matches at the club I shoot at. a year or two ago a shooter was suppose to have set a record for 3 consecutive shots/hits at 315yds. from a cold bore. this would be the first 3-shots at the target.
no matter where I searched I have not been able to confirm this.
I found this amazing as the wind blows pretty good here to give even the CF shooters problems.
in fact a CF match will start in about 1/2 hour wind gusts to 25+
shooting .22lr at 100 with those conditions is not much fun, challenging but. holding more then 12" for the wind makes for low scores.

Lee
Old 05-23-2020, 10:34 AM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not insulted at all but you actually did try and define long range by your moa you need to dial.
""Long range" is not determined by how many yards away the target is, but by how much you have to dial up to be on." You touched on cant in the next paragraph.

Scope can't is something that needs to be dealt with when shooting any rifle at longer ranges. And don't worry I have levels on my rifles
Old 05-23-2020, 10:38 AM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Thanks, They have NRL matches at the club I shoot at. a year or two ago a shooter was suppose to have set a record for 3 consecutive shots/hits at 315yds. from a cold bore. this would be the first 3-shots at the target.
no matter where I searched I have not been able to confirm this.
I found this amazing as the wind blows pretty good here to give even the CF shooters problems.
in fact a CF match will start in about 1/2 hour wind gusts to 25+
shooting .22lr at 100 with those conditions is not much fun, challenging but. holding more then 12" for the wind makes for low scores.

Lee
Oh yeah it's definitely tricky with wind. Makes it challenging. The challenge is a lot of the fun for me.

That might have been the record then but it has been pushed back. I think it is over 400 yards now.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:42 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that. 100 yards is were it just starts to get fun. Heck, I used to do that with a Marlin 60 and a cheap 4x Tasco scope...using a fence post as a "bench".
Yes, and when I was a kid I shot a wood duck out of a tree about 120 yards away resting my .22 against a tree -- first shot clean kill.

However, while the "fun with a .22 starts" at 100 yards, for me it is over by 200 yards. I have shot a lot of .22 matches (100 yds and 200 yds) that include some of the most accurate rigs and shooters you will ever see, and it is unusual to ever have anyone print a group (10 shots) smaller than about 4 inches in the 200-yard match. Every now and then someone will get lucky and print a 3".

If I had a centerfire that couldn't group better than that I'd either fix it or get rid of it.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:47 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Scope can't is something that needs to be dealt with when shooting any rifle at longer ranges. And don't worry I have levels on my rifles
OH, excuse me! I guess I should have said "longer range" instead of "long range."
Old 05-23-2020, 10:47 AM
Rob01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's the fun. 200 with a .22 is similar to 900-1000 with a .308 so it's tough to correlate accuracy with the target at that range to a centerfire. You just have to look at it as a .22 and compare it to others and not to centerfires. I would be mad at my centerfire to shoot 3" at 200 yards too.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:48 AM
Rob01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
OH, excuse me! I guess I should have said "longer range" instead of "long range."
Same thing. No need to start getting nit picky.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:09 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
That's the fun. 200 with a .22 is similar to 900-1000 with a .308 so it's tough to correlate accuracy with the target at that range to a centerfire. You just have to look at it as a .22 and compare it to others and not to centerfires.
Oh, I know, and fully agree, otherwise I would not have done a ton of it over the last several years. The dial-up on my 7mm-08 with 162-gr match at 800 yards is the same as with my .22 at 200 yards.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Rob01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup I was never much of a .22 guy up until about 2 3/4 years ago and then I got my CZ and then Vudoo and started shooting more matches and actually have a blast doing it. Challenging and fun is a recipe for a good time.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:45 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I consider long range by time of flight.
And we should also toss the BC into that calculation when comparing.
A .22 is in the air shooting out to 200yds as long as a centerfire is when shooting out to 600yds.
Add into that calculation the horrible BC, and you could probably add at least another 200yds for comparison.

So to me long range is defined by this. If you can fire the round and rather leisurely lift you head up in time to see or hear it hit the target, that's long range.
I shoot a Long Range Silhouette match out to 200 meters, and I'm able to do just that.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-23-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
I consider long range by time of flight.
And we should also toss the BC into that calculation when comparing.
A .22 is in the air shooting out to 200yds as long as a centerfire is when shooting out to 600yds.
Add into that calculation the horrible BC, and you could probably add at least another 200yds for comparison.

So to me long range is defined by this. If you can fire the round and rather leisurely lift you head up in time to see or hear it hit the target, that's long range.
I shoot a Long Range Silhouette match out to 200 meters, and I'm able to do just that.

Smooth
Very nice.
Old Today, 04:58 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (246)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
My Leupold VX-2 6-18x40.
Hear, hear!!! Unfortunately, in its inimitable wisdom, Leupold has discontinued what I consider the ideal .22 RF scope.

Doug