Wind Flag Placement - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:13 PM
cladd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wind Flag Placement

In shooting rimfire ARA 50 yard competition what is the ideal placement for wind flags - I have 3 flags I will be using. The most important flag is the one closest to the bench or the target?

For a 25 yard target is one flag enough?

Thanks much!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:48 PM
swo1
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also shot ARA, PSL, and IR50 comps. For me it depends on the range. I have five flags and two wind probes. Mostly I set one flag at around 5-7 yards out, one at 15, one at 20 one at 30 and one at 40. The two probes go at 20 and 30. Some ranges I only use 4 flags and the two probes. Each rifle/ammo seems to react a little different than others. At larger shots with 20+ shooters I think you will notice flags at all different postitions. Get to know your flags and what has the most bearing on you, your rifle and ammo. Biggest factor is not paying attention to other flags around you, lanes to the left and right. All brands react different in the same wind. Get to know your flags and dont pay attention to others. Its hard to do at meets with what I call flag clutter.

Bottom line is shoot over yours for all practice and trust them, oh and by the way they LIE. Good Luck
Old 04-29-2019, 07:10 PM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swo1 View Post
I also shot ARA, PSL, and IR50 comps. For me it depends on the range. I have five flags and two wind probes. Mostly I set one flag at around 5-7 yards out, one at 15, one at 20 one at 30 and one at 40. The two probes go at 20 and 30. Some ranges I only use 4 flags and the two probes. Each rifle/ammo seems to react a little different than others. At larger shots with 20+ shooters I think you will notice flags at all different postitions. Get to know your flags and what has the most bearing on you, your rifle and ammo. Biggest factor is not paying attention to other flags around you, lanes to the left and right. All brands react different in the same wind. Get to know your flags and dont pay attention to others. Its hard to do at meets with what I call flag clutter.

Bottom line is shoot over yours for all practice and trust them, oh and by the way they LIE. Good Luck
Boy if that isn't the absolute truth! Sometimes I have to wonder how guys can tell which flags are theirs or someone else's. It can even get to looking like a carnival at times.

Rick H.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:21 AM
Tad_E

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cladd View Post
In shooting rimfire ARA 50 yard competition what is the ideal placement for wind flags - I have 3 flags I will be using. The most important flag is the one closest to the bench or the target?

For a 25 yard target is one flag enough?

Thanks much!
In a broad answer they are all important but depending on the day and range you are shooting, even down to the bench draw, you may notice that one flag or section of flags have more bearing on what's going on than another flag or other flags. I don't know about 25 yard shooting but at 50 yards three flags are a good starting point on learning how to read them. When you start feeling confidence in reading those add 2 more to your spread and you will fill in the majority of the gaps that you feel are left out with just 3 flags. If it were me, I would say place the first flag at about 5 yards, the second at about 15-20 yards and then the third flag somewhere between 35-50 yards out. I would just judge the last flag placement based on where most of the other competitors are placing theirs in the biggest concentration of that range of distance that day or if you notice some sort of unique feature to the range place it in front of that in your lane. What I mean by unique feature is something like if the range has a row of trees up one side but there is an access road through the trees creating a tunnel for wind to come through. Most ranges have some sort of feature like this and it can create havoc if you can't tell why or what is going on. A lot of times it still creates havoc when you think you can see what's going on and it just takes shooting at that range to figure it out. Good luck with you shooting.

Tad
Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 AM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The most critical flag is the one closest to the firing line. Wind near the firing line impacts the bullet's entire flight. In the simplest scenario, where the wind is steady and there are no berms, trees, and bushes to disrupt the wind, an astute shooter could get by with that one flag. We are rarely so lucky.

A variable or gusty wind asks for more flags, as do any obstacles to the wind's path. My home range has berms and plays havoc with even the slightest cross currents.

Reading the wind is a very high art. Until you acquire a passing knowledge of how to deal with wind, I would suggest not using more than two or three. Without the acquired skillset to deal with wind, too many flags can just lead to confusion.

Good shooting and have fun!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:03 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
We tend to have a short firing line with all of us in the same conditions so I tend to use the flags of others if they are put out.
I like 3, one close, one about 1/3 out and the other near the targets.
As well as the sound of the wind through the trees, the touch of breeze on my face or neck, watching the leaves, etc. If you get the idea we are in a valley boxed in by trees with switchy winds and thermals along with mirage, you've got it.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:44 AM
cladd

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks for all the tips!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
For sure the close wind has the greatest effect. Starting out I would set all three in the first 20-25 yds. If you nail your condition 100% what happens on past that isn't going to hurt you. Later on you might want more flags or stretch them out.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:36 PM
HAWKEYE WIZARD

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You might find it interesting to read the stickie above titled THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY IS MY FRIEND.
Hawkeye Wizard
Old 04-30-2019, 06:04 PM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I agree with out any doubt the condition closest to the bench effects the bullet the most. If I only ran 3 flags, I would also agree with John on flag placement within the first 20-25 yards.

Please note I said condition, not wind. I used to think I was reading the wind. The fact of the matter is, you are reading a condition that effects the bullet flight and where that bullet impacts the target (POI). That condition is unique to where you are shooting, not just a matter of which way the wind is blowing, or it's velocity.

Last edited by doclu60; 05-01-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That is why I dont rely on a bunch of 'indicators'.
I want to be able to easily note what the indicator positions are when my poa and poi most closely coincide. I dont much care 'what they are saying' as long as at the point I squeeze the shot off they say the same thing each time.
My rule of thumb is to watch the conditions of 'the day/session' to get a sense of it, plant or 'borrow' the indicators to see what they say and take some shots under different indicator signals. I know the gun is sighted in, I dont want to be chasing my sights; I want to find the condition that the poi comes together pretty much where they are. Oh, then actually remember what all the indicators were saying.....
Then I tweak.
Then the heat of the day rises, the wind changes, etc. and it can all fall apart.

Last edited by gcrank1; 05-01-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 AM
cladd

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Excellent information and good reading in the sticky enemy of my enemy!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:26 AM
pikedrop

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Flag Placement

You will do just fine with your three flags. Place your closest flag five paces from your bench. The second flag will be placed at 25 yards. And the third flag will be placed placed approximately three paces nearest the target. Stand at the target facing your bench and eye a line from where you are standing to approximately two feet of either side of your bench. (If you are left handed it will be to the left of the bench, if you are right handed it will be to the right of the bench). The 'target flag' should be offset from the target depending on being right handed or left handed. Place it to the left if you are left handed, same for right handed.

Your flags will be 'stacked' in a straight line starting from the closest to the farthest. Your non aiming eye will be able to see all of them in action at any time. There are some ranges that will have elevation changes from the bench to the target. You can adjust your stand to accommodate for those variances.

You will become very adept at setting your flags once you get the hang of it.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:09 AM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Which side of the bench ?

Maybe I did it wrong, but I am right handed and put my flags out to the left of the bench, ever so slightly angled into the target, so my left eye could pick up the motion of all the flags at the same time I was seeing the target with my right eye. I would often shoot with both eyes open. Then again, I was only a contender, never a champion at the sport.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Maybe I did it wrong, but I am right handed and put my flags out to the left of the bench, ever so slightly angled into the target, so my left eye could pick up the motion of all the flags at the same time I was seeing the target with my right eye. I would often shoot with both eyes open. Then again, I was only a contender, never a champion at the sport.
I do the same(both eyes open), but have been trying more and more to not be looking thru the scope when I shoot, rather I am looking at my flags and wind indicator. so my head is up, seems to make it easier to read what is going on.

I also place my flags so they are just below the bullets flight path, my belief I am getting a much more true reading of the condition. and not a before or after effect.

I adjust the height of my flags so they are about 10-12" below the bore centerline.
haven't shot any of my flags yet

Lee