Harrell Tuner - increase ring height? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:27 AM
Smok3y

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Harrell Tuner - increase ring height?

Hi all. Not my first 22lr, but I am getting into my first bench gun with a Harrell tuner. I’m going to need to pick up a new set of pic rings for my current setup. I have always set up with around 1”-1.1” rings to keep my scope as close to my barrel as possible, but I am curious with this tuner on the end how much I might actually have to increase my ring height. It appears to be approximately .4” taller than the barrel, but I can’t imagine that I would really need to jump up the full .4”, right?
I just thought I would try to get some thoughts here before picking up a new set of rings to try out. I could use some blocks to test out the rings to get an accurate reading, but thought I would ask around first. This is a little different than using right height calculators becasue the scope doesn’t need to physically clear the tuner. But I wasn’t sure how the angle of the scope and barrel would bring that tuner into view.
Thanks and I appreciate the help.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 AM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Shooting off a bench for benchrest competition is completely different. The less contact you have with the rifle the better ( JMO ) Personally I use the tallest ring available. I use Leupold see thru rings. Thats just me however.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Smok3y

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Appreciate the response. I have noticed that difference with the contact to the rifle. Guys are barely at it at all. And the rings seem to be really high all the time. Wasn’t sure why they are so high. That was part of the reason I was curious. It can’t just be to get over the tuner. Is it a comfort thing?

Old 04-02-2019, 05:02 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smok3y View Post
Appreciate the response. I have noticed that difference with the contact to the rifle. Guys are barely at it at all. And the rings seem to be really high all the time. Wasn’t sure why they are so high. That was part of the reason I was curious. It can’t just be to get over the tuner. Is it a comfort thing?
Well you could imagine the position you would have to get in, to see through the scope without your cheek touching the stock. My main BR rifle has risers and see thru rings.

Older picture with high rings. Now 1/2" higher.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:35 AM
Smok3y

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Gotcha!! I can see how the higher rings help you stay off the rifle. That makes sense.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:44 AM
jpx2rk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have Talley high rings on my MPR 64, primarily for scope clearance and comfort at the bench. I just put a tuner on my setup, and did not have any issues other than playing with the tuner.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:24 AM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like tall offset rings myself. I find it more comfortable
Old 04-04-2019, 06:54 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
To answer your question, the scope only HAS to be high enough for the exit pupil to clear the tuner.

At higher magnification the exit pupil is very small. On a Weaver 36X scope it's only about 1.1 mm and in the middle of the scope objective end.

This is how Leopold was able to offer scopes with a barrel cutout in the objective bell; the barrel cutout in the scope was well below the exit pupil...Tom
Old 04-04-2019, 05:29 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
myself I prefer the warne steel split or a double strap rings in high. I tune a little different than most and prefer the action/stock to flex as little as possible. to light and too tall rings can cause variation in barrel flexing making it nearly impossible to tune to a wide range of ammo lots. so what can happen without the right set up is variation in the amplitude, hence pressure variation via different lots are out of time, limiting to lots of similar peak pressure. marty
Old 04-04-2019, 07:09 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
smokey3y, one thing to keep in mind about rings/recoil, think in terms of ringing a bell, if it,s a claw hammer or a mallet the higher frequency vibrations are always there, what changes is the amplitude. the one flaw in the purdey tuning method is what hitting that bell does to the barrels amplitude which alters barrel time and forced deformation what causes the barrel to be pulled to a different shape thus poi changes. so the idea behind a good quality bench stock/rings/bedding is that flexing stays nearly the same no matter the variation in priming materials. make no mistake that quality primeing is an art form and my guess the problems eley have experienced is a result in employee turnover, "JUST MY GUESS". but whatever is the cause bench shooters are left to cope with what you have. for that reason my belief is a system that's built to overcome any pressure variations, ie; bulid the action and scope rock solid. we know that a tuned rifle can once properly tuned handle fps variation. marty
Old 04-04-2019, 07:19 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Bubinga stock with warne steel high split rings. bubinga has very low bendability, very hard and dense. marty
Old 04-04-2019, 08:18 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
smoke3y, make sure you have a good bedding base. all 3 of these flexed to a varying degree. changing to higher rings could cause a different problem. these rifles are a unit and act as such. marty
Old 04-28-2019, 11:46 AM
oldshot50
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
One other idea is to utilize offset rings. Gets your face off the stock and somewhat eleviates objective bell clearance issues. All of our rifles used in BR shooting employ Harrell's offset rings. Allow us to shoot free recoil and we do not have to crane our necks to reach exaggerated scope height. Check them out. Come in both 1" and 30mm. IMHO, well worth the $$$.