Bench rest matches for old .22 rifles - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:36 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)

Test as many lots of Center-X as you can. Clint Swigert and Good Shooting are dealers.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:15 AM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
This is one of the on-line matches here at RFC where you can compete specifically with vintage rifles.

Includes both 25 and 50 yards, scoped or not. There are also on-line RFC matches for Factory and Sporter class rifles.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1146027

Here is a link to all of the RFC matches:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...play.php?f=180

Last edited by theearlof; 02-07-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vinbyr gives some good advice concerning the ammo, and he's a knowledgeable and experienced shooter. As I mentioned yesterday, lots of folks seem to be doing very well with lot tested Center X.

Dave, we enjoyed having you at our match and look forward to seeing you next month. As we tried to emphasize during our prematch discussion, we encourage newcomers to set their own goals and enjoy the match. Most of us feel that the enjoyment we experience in visiting with fellow shooters and getting to shoot a favorite gun is more important than numerical scores. It's all for fun and to be used as a learning experience. Have fun, learn,.....and the scores will come along.

And of course, as I said, you can use your bipod in our Factory class match.

James

Old 02-06-2019, 11:46 PM
Abigkidagain
US Navy Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
Vinbyr gives some good advice concerning the ammo, and he's a knowledgeable and experienced shooter. As I mentioned yesterday, lots of folks seem to be doing very well with lot tested Center X.

Dave, we enjoyed having you at our match and look forward to seeing you next month. As we tried to emphasize during our prematch discussion, we encourage newcomers to set their own goals and enjoy the match. Most of us feel that the enjoyment we experience in visiting with fellow shooters and getting to shoot a favorite gun is more important than numerical scores. It's all for fun and to be used as a learning experience. Have fun, learn,.....and the scores will come along.

And of course, as I said, you can use your bipod in our Factory class match.

James
Then I will be there from now on. I may not win against all that fancy gear I saw, but I will be there nonetheless.

AMMO seems to be the largest deciding factor.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:34 AM
Abigkidagain
US Navy Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigkidagain View Post
Then I will be there from now on. I may not win against all that fancy gear I saw, but I will be there nonetheless.

AMMO seems to be the largest deciding factor.
I have decided otherwise about ever competing in any benchrest ever again.
As long as people can borrow 100% of top end gear they need to win, why the heck should I invest any more of my time, efforts, and money into the sport.

When people can invest zero time, money and effort into the sport....borrow all the rifles, scopes, and high end ammo they need, then walk away with awards, why should I even bother to show up with my beloved Sears Ranger that i painstakingly restored to factory original? Just to have someone with borrowed top end gear win and go home with awards.

This is not right.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:35 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Reasons for attending a match, or any game...

You can attend a match with your aim (pun intended) to compete with others and better them by winning or placing high. And you can attend a match for the joy of being with others. And you can attend a match with self improvement the goal.

In a similar way, we have all read posts here on RFC where a person with a rather average rifle, shooting plinking ammo on a windy day shot almost a perfect score. And we see examples of people pretending they are combat vets, some of whom were never even in the service of their country. That is their trip. But it need not be your trip.

Go to the matches and compete. You will know that you did it the "right" way. You will be able to gauge your own progress. It should bring you satisfactions. The playing field is never level. Bill can afford the best rifle and match ammo. John can't, but John is retired and can spend many hours at the sport. And everyone else has their own strengths and weaknesses. Don't worry about where others place in the rankings. Do your own thing, be centered. Be charitable. It will give you satisfaction.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:01 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Two dogs are out roaming the woods and come upon a porcupine. Both go home with a face full of quills. A few weeks later they are out again and see another porcupine. Dog A thinks there is that SOB that got me last time and gets the hexx out of there. Dog B thinks there is that SOB that got me last time and I'm going to make him pay big time. Moral of the story is that you can win with a losing attitude and lose with a winning attitude. Some value attitude over winning and losing.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:35 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I and some friends of mine started out shooting a "Steel Challenge" match here in Florida. We shot to help out getting it off the ground. Now it has a fair turn out each month. We now do not shoot the match, but help out running the match. There is more than one way to enjoy a match. We help out, give pointers and interact with others who like the same things that we do. Also we loan our pistols, rifles and magazines to others to keep them in the game. No one has gotten upset with us for doing so. Have nothing to prove to anyone with our shooting, other than we can still do it. Just go to have a good time.

Last edited by usmc69; 04-30-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:25 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am very sorry and disappointed that Abigkidagain was upset with his experience at our match. It is obvious that I am the rangemaster he is referring to, but I will not repeat a response I have already made in another thread. For those interested...

ttps://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11463703#post11463703

Some shooters are going to be more competitive than others. It is impossible to create a class that will please everyone. We try to encourage folks to concentrate on doing the best they can with what they can afford, enjoy the camaraderie with fellow shooters, and make winning or losing not the only goal.

James
Old 04-30-2019, 06:24 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I am very sorry and disappointed that Abigkidagain was upset with his experience at our match. It is obvious that I am the rangemaster he is referring to, but I will not repeat a response I have already made in another thread. For those interested...

ttps://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11463703#post11463703

Some shooters are going to be more competitive than others. It is impossible to create a class that will please everyone. We try to encourage folks to concentrate on doing the best they can with what they can afford, enjoy the camaraderie with fellow shooters, and make winning or losing not the only goal.

James
James,
You and I have had disagreements in the past. I knew you were the range master when this guy posted. I also know you promote RFBR and support it. You know I shoot sanctioned and am fairly serious about it.

I am glad you posted here and on the other thread. When I saw this guy voice his opinion over two different threads I genuinely felt bad for you. You do what you can to help the sport, I am happy about that and wish more would do the same. Stay the course and don't let one guy rain on your parade in your endeavors. I would lend equipment to someone in a heartbeat to help promote the sport. Your other post was very well written. Best of luck on your upcoming matches.

Last edited by doclu60; 04-30-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:03 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
As long as people can borrow 100% of top end gear they need to win, why the heck should I invest any more of my time, efforts, and money into the sport.

When people can invest zero time, money and effort into the sport....borrow all the rifles, scopes, and high end ammo they need, then walk away with awards, why should I even bother to show up with my beloved Sears Ranger that i painstakingly restored to factory original? Just to have someone with borrowed top end gear win and go home with awards.

This is not right.
Why are you upset? That someone borrowed equipment and won against your factory rifle? I wouldn't get upset about that.

Aren't you there for the experience and to learn what it's about? Is this all that stands out from your trip?

Can't give you any advice other than that you may be best served rethinking some things. Good luck going forward.

JMO

Kenny

Last edited by kseatm; 05-01-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:54 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Question

Quote:

This is not right.
I gotta ask, if the guy that borrowed the rifle had not shown up, would you have won or placed in the top 3?
Old 05-01-2019, 04:17 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is exactly the situation Joe Haller ried to solve by shooting the USBR target at 25 yards. Take these old guns and shooters at 50 yrds on the USBR and you have the "shoot once an d never see that shooter again ."

It can be done to describe what an "old time gun" by whatever name you want to call it. Put them in a seperate class and have fun shooting. You will find that 'regular' shooters will soon be trying that old rifle to see how it does.

Remember the adage "shoot whatever you got" maybe the sport will grow. I know around here there are less shooters that 15 yrs ago.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:08 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
This is exactly the situation Joe Haller ried to solve by shooting the USBR target at 25 yards. Take these old guns and shooters at 50 yrds on the USBR and you have the "shoot once an d never see that shooter again ."

It can be done to describe what an "old time gun" by whatever name you want to call it. Put them in a seperate class and have fun shooting. You will find that 'regular' shooters will soon be trying that old rifle to see how it does.

Remember the adage "shoot whatever you got" maybe the sport will grow. I know around here there are less shooters that 15 yrs ago.
??? Now you've got me scratching my head again! I don't think this is anything like that. They weren't shooting USBR, they were shooting IR if I'm not mistaken. A much much much more user friendly target. And they were shooting factory rifles. It's just that there are many different types of factory rifles

From the other thread it seems that this guy was using a Sears Ranger and Remington Subsonic ammo. And another person borrowed a Winchester 52 to win a prize. The funny thing is the prize was a piece of paper. And it wasn't a sanctioned match, but a club match that places more emphasis on getting people into the sport.

So much of this causes me confusion on why he's upset. But then lots of things confuse me.

One side note...I'd personally throw rocks at the target before trying to use Remington ammo. Better chance of scoring well!

Maybe it's just me, but sheesh...

Kenny
Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 PM
TTS22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
?

One side note...I'd personally throw rocks at the target before trying to use Remington ammo. Better chance of scoring well!

Kenny
I literally laughed out loud.....and your right, I wouldn’t let somebody I don’t like use that stuff. It is truly craptacular!