North American Rimfire Postal Matches- A new way to have fun! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:33 PM
billybarrou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
North American Rimfire Postal Matches- A new way to have fun!

North American Rimfire Postal Matches

This is an exploratory email to seek out interest and support for a new organization that will hopefully become home to a successful Smallbore Benchrest shooting discipline.
A new twist on an old idea…shooters across the land shooting monthly matches on their own schedules and mailing in (perhaps photo and email) the results. With Factory, Custom and Unlimited classes there will be a comfort zone for every level of experience and sophistication. It will eventually, of course, rely on the competitors’ integrity and honor in complying with class limitations, general rules and regulations.
We are currently considering a new 8.5” x 14” target with four sighters and 20 record bulls, easily mailable. The targets will resemble and score like USBR targets, not ARA. Depending on the number of shooters and the economical feasibility of printing a new target system, we may just opt for the USBR target which is available from American Target Co. We don’t mean to compete with the ARA or any other organization’s matches, but supplant them such that anyone, anywhere can compete on our small stage. This will allow shooters who don’t have access to the very few sanctioned ARA or USBR matches to still compete and have fun, which is the real goal here.
Brief Summary of prospective guidelines:
22LR only, any gun, triggers, barrels, scopes, stocks, etc
Factory guns, any weight, Custom guns,10.5 lb limit, Unlimited guns, no restrictions, may restrict type and cost of ammo
Shoot targets at 50-yards during daylight hours only, scored by another shooter or witness
Only one match target may be submitted per month
Open to all shooters in Canada, Mexico and the USA
Junior (18-) and Senior (19+) divisions
Targets at cost with match fees of only $2-3 per month
Please mention this to your smallbore friends and for starters send an email with your name and email contact information to [email protected]. That is a personal email I just set up for this purpose only. Let’s see if we can get several hundred interested parties together for openers. I will post this introduction on several forums soon, and with your help we should be able to reach a substantial population. You also have my word that your information will not be disseminated to anyone for any reason. It is strictly for our internal organizational purposes.
Assuming we can get a few hundred shooters, we can keep the cost down to a few dollars per month and still award prizes such as silver coins and the like. More on that after we see what kind of general interest we can garner in the near term. I’d like to see if we can get this organized and operational by the end of the year, such that we can begin our matches by winter or early spring, as soon as the ‘snowbound’ can get to the range!

Very truly yours,

Bill Buck, proponent and organizer
10 Roma Ct
Palm Coast, FL 32137
[email protected]
828-707-5051
Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 PM
sunburned
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill organized and ran the centerfire matches for many years here in Asheville. Extremely well run and attended, he is missed having moved to Florida. Mr Buck set the standard on running a competition in person, and a virtual match under his guidance will be great fun and very fair.
Join with great confidence.
Sunburned
Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 PM
ned903

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill,
I will respond positively to your email, but I thought I would post a couple of comments here.

First, I think this is a great idea, particularly for those of us who live in areas without a lot of rimfire benchers activities.

Second, why go to the trouble of developing and producing new targets when there are readily available targets in the market.

Last, I know it complicates things, but consider some kind of handicapping system for those of us that are new to the sport.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2018, 10:47 AM
sigluvr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sent an email but also want to post here.

I am definitely interested in this type of league. I have a handful of other shooters who I know would do it as well. We have talked about starting one for years.

Looking forward to this eventually happening.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:29 PM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Great idea for folks in Rapid City. We don't have a long rifle range in our area and use the Blackhills National Forest to set up our own ranges or shooting spots. I'm in Idea it would be nice to use your home printer to print the targets and a scoring plug not group sizes. The plug is so easy to use, but what ever U come up with that is fine with me.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:08 PM
hcaroselli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Postal Matches

I am most definitely interested. Please add me to your mailing list so I know of your progress.

Thanks for starting this idea.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:12 PM
billybarrou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
October 2018 NARPM Match Notice

OK, Shooters, let’s give this a try, while still trying to gather new shooters into the club.

Attached below are the revised rules and target download so you can print and shoot. Try to use a heavier paper than regular copier paper so the targets won’t tear so badly, making them harder to score. Please read through the rules, which should answer many questions and allow you to compete fairly and hopefully, have fun.

The October match will be a 20-shot match at 50-yards, so print 2 targets and before shooting number them 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. Write your name and your rifle type (FS, FB, C, U) in the spaces provided. Please refer to the rules regarding the target bull numbering. You may shoot the bulls in any order you like, but they will be scored according to the rules. You should not score your own targets if at all possible, and the person scoring or witnessing the target should sign it. Scoring will be reviewed by the referees.

You must shoot the match between October 1-31 and submit by scanning and email or postal mail by the 31st. If mailing targets please kindly email me to alert me to that fact so I can be looking for them.

Remember, you may submit only one entry per class, but you may submit entries for each class in which you wish to shoot.

RESULTS WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL ASAP FOLLOWING MONTH’S END.

Good shooting and here’s hoping this will be a success, defined by everyone having a good time and experience,

Bill

RULES:
North American Rimfire Postal Matches
Rules and regulations governing Postal Matches.

1. GENERAL
A. Objectives.
To provide a Rimfire Benchrest shooting format whereby shooters from across the land can shoot monthly matches on their own schedules and submit their results via a variety of methods. With Factory, Custom and Unlimited equipment classes, there will be a comfort zone for every level of experience and sophistication. It will eventually, of course, rely on the competitors’ integrity and honor in complying with class limitations, general rules and regulations. Sportsmanship is paramount and will be stressed in this discipline, as with any organized competition.
B. Definitions.
Cartridge allowed will be 22LR only.
Match. A match is a single event, presumably monthly, in which competitors participate by shooting identical targets and an identical course of fire. There may be different classes of competitors who will compete against each other, and not necessarily the group as a whole.
Classes. There will be a Factory-Semi-Auto class (FS) that will be limited to factory production, generally ‘out-of-the-box’ semi-automatic guns, unmodified in any respect other than trigger, barrel and stock replacements. Any such replacements must be identical to those parts that came on the original. Muzzle brakes and suppressors are permitted, but not barrel tuners. No weight or optics limitations.
Factory-Bolt Action class (FB), similarly, will be limited to factory production, generally ‘out-of-the-box’ bolt action guns, unmodified in any respect other than as above described. Muzzle brakes and suppressors are permitted, but not barrel tuners. No weight or optics limitations.
Notes regarding modifications to Factory guns: Barrels may be replaced with another original factory barrel identical to the one being replaced. Triggers may be modified to eliminate creep, adjust sear engagement and to make other similar improvements, but they may not be replaced, if necessary with anything other than an exact replacement. Stocks may be bedded to improve the action’s fit, and if desired or necessary may be replaced with another identical to the one being replaced. The idea here is to respect the ‘factory’ class, such that no competitor within that class will have any undue advantage.
Factory guns are further defined as being ‘reasonably priced’ production items, generally available off-the-shelf, rather than being special ordered, and are generally priced at no more than $500 or so. Factory ‘custom shop’ guns are not allowed under this class description. Remington 40-X, Anschutz and the like are not considered ‘factory’ guns.
Custom class (C) guns are those comprised of custom actions, stocks, barrels, triggers, tuners and the like and are limited to 3” stock forend width and 10.5lbs overall, including optics.
Unlimited class (U) is similar to Custom class but without any limitations whatsoever.
Note: All guns must be legal under applicable Federal, State and Local laws.
Rests. Front rests may contact the forend of the rifle forward of the trigger guard. Rear rests may support the rear part of the rifle. The rests may not be attached to the bench or rifle in any way. Return-to-battery rests will not be allowed. A bipod attached to the rifle is allowed as long as it is in no way attached to the bench, and its weight is included with that of the rifle. One-piece rests will be allowed in the Unlimited class only.
Tournaments. There may be from time to time, Regional, State or Local Championship matches or tournaments at the discretion of the Match Director.

Benches. A bench shall be a rigidly constructed table appropriate for benchrest shooting competition. All benches at a given range will be as close to identical as is practically possible.

Eligibility of Competitors. No competitor may be required to be a member of any organization in order to compete in a match. The Match Director may deny the opportunity to compete to any person who they feel is incapable of safely completing the match, or to any person who violates Safety or Sportsmanship rules.

Targets. The targets used will comprise 10 or 20 bulls per page and be of home computer printable size such that the participants can ‘print and shoot’ at their own will. The scoring rings will be as follows: 10-ring is 0.100” diameter, 9-ring is 0.300”, 8-ring is 0.550”, 7-ring is 0.850”, 6-ring is 1.200” and the 5-ring is 1.600”. One or more rings may be a solid color. Target paper should be heavy enough to resist tearing, and 67lb Bristol is recommended, is economical and readily available. It is approximately 0.008” in thickness.

C. Match and Course of Fire.

Matches will generally be held monthly, but from time to time additional ones may be scheduled. Shooters may submit only one entry per class per match, but may submit entries in each class.

A Match will generally consist of 10 or 20 record bulls with one shot in each, fired over a 10 or 20-minute time limit, respectively. An unlimited number of sighters may also be fired during the allotted time. The Match Director may occasionally set other match parameters.

Scoring will be by ‘best edge’ method, which is further described as any bullet hole that touches (tangent to) a scoring ring will be scored as the higher value. For example, a bullet hole that touches the 10-ring will be scored as a 10. Any bullet hole that takes out the 10-ring in its entirety will be scored as a 10-X (10.01 on the scoring matrix). Thus a perfect score for a 10-shot match would be 100 with 10-Xs (100.10 on the scoring matrix). Score is counted first and X-count second. Tied scores will be resolved by X-count. For example a 100/5X would beat a 100/4X, and so on. Likewise, a 100/3X would beat a 99/9X. More than one shot on a record bull will result in recording the lower of the scores on that bull. Any other ‘extra’ bullet holes outside of the record bulls will be scored as a - (minus) 10. It is recommended that a scoring plug of appropriate diameter be used.

Ties will be settled by Creedmoor Rule. The “Rimfire Central” interim target that is currently being used in October, 2018 comprises 10 bulls that are unnumbered as printed. For the purpose of this discussion they will be numbered as follows: the upper left-hand bull is #1, then to it’s right is #2 and the upper right-hand bull is #3. Then proceeding downward #4, #5 and #6 is the lower right-hand bull. Then proceeding to the left #7 and #8 is in the lower left-hand corner. Then proceeding upward is #9 and last is #10 right below #1.

In the case of a tie score, targets will be compared based on first target number (example 1 of 2, then 2 of 2), and then on bull number. For example Competitors A & B both shoot a 20-shot match, comprising 2 targets numbered 1 of 2 & 2 of 2. They both score a total of 200 with 12 Xs (200.12 on the scoring matrix). The Creedmoor Rule considers scores of individual targets and bulls in strict succession. In the example both competitors score 10Xs on target 1, bull #s 1,2 &3. On bull #4 competitor A scores a 10X and competitor B scores a 10. Competitor A is declared the winner by Creedmoor Rule.

Referees appointed by the Match Director will settle any disputes that arise and their decision will be final.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:57 PM
martinigallery

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
What class would a Martini International, unmodified except for scope mount, fit into?

thanks,

Randy
[email protected]
Old 10-01-2018, 03:25 PM
billybarrou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Martini International

Randy,

I suppose it would have to be a custom gun, since it's neither a bolt gun nor a semi-automatic factory gun.

I'll keep you in the loop if you like,

Bill
Old 11-06-2018, 07:49 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Id be interested come May... w/ USBR targets.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:16 AM
Blaser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
were can i find target for November
Old 11-09-2018, 02:27 AM
scott1119
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to scott1119
I dont see the target download
Old 11-13-2018, 01:47 AM
Blaser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wow guess it's over
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 AM
wcolb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check it out on other forum. BRC

Nov 2018 Match Invitation
Howdy Shooters,

Our October match was a success, and here's the scoop on the November match, now underway. Please open the attachments for rules and target downloads. If you're going to participate and haven't contacted us before, please send me your name, location and email address to [email protected] so I can add you to our membership roster. Please remember this is for fun, and is without charge, so tell a fiend and join in.

Thanks,

Bill Buck
Attached Files Attached Files
File Type: pdf NARPM Official Target rev 1018.pdf (44.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf Nov 18 NARPM Invitation.pdf (29.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-13-2018, 08:12 AM
mobilemail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did I miss the part in the rules where distance is specified?