Kidd vs. Lilja - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:35 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)

Yes, mine is a ďGunsmith SpecialĒ as well. Simply button rifled and octagoned. I was shocked at how well mine shoots...but, itís not on a 10/22, and it received all the rimfire tricks, including a very good match chamber. As you point out, in order to do the swap-and-test method, everything else on the rifle must be right, which Iím sure yours are.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:37 AM
labratt104
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Hey TBR- Ironically, the 10-22 that has held first place for several years in the 1/2Ē @ 50 yard games in the Ultimate 10-22 forum is a GM Octagon barrel. I believe it was purchased as a ďGunsmith specialĒ blank- in the white, by Passinby. He had Randy @ CPC do the work- chamber, thread to receiver, etc. My dear friend, member jcrowleyiv bought the complete rifle from Passinby and shot an amazing card with it- .150 average of 3 five shot groups, and .170 average of 4 five shot groups.
I have an older (circa 2009?) 20Ē GM fluted taper that is VERY accurate. It runs with many of the other ďtop endĒ drop in barrels in my collection, and Iím pretty sure it cost me under $100. Since I donít have my barrels custom made, I play the law of averages, barrel swap game. One of mine went through 5 or 6 barrels before I found a keeper. Iím pretty sure when I order a barrel from one of the well known suppliers anymore, they take their time selecting one, to save the time & hassle of me returning it.

DrGunner
To add another note: I also happen to have one of the GM octagonal barrels, bought as a blank in the rough, finished by me, chambered, crowned, and blued, then threaded into a Kidd receiver by Randy @ CPC. Mine shoots much better than I can, and would possibly be a contender if I could find a decent stock to bed it into. Currently have it mounted in an Altamont Advanced Hunting Stock KKC.
And, while it is an incredibly tight fit, I feel it would benefit from a true artisan such as DrGunner doing a complete pillar and bedding job. (Aren't you glad I moved away? ) Alas, I've moved 3 times since building that rifle, and have always had something "else" on the list of things to do.

Kevin, I miss the days in the quarry more than I can say. Great memories, my friend!
Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 PM
rimfireonsteel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Lilja on a hunting rifle in 270 that shoots great. I have two Kidd 10/22's built on receivers barreled up by Kidd. The ultra lightweight 16.5 inch rifle shoots .3 with SKRM and the 20 inch tapered SS shoots Eley Club to .4.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (45)
I purchased a lilja a few years ago, not impressed at all. I tried different scopes and different ammos without any significant changes. The owner was rude and will never get another penny from me.

Iíve had great luck with kidd and vq. Top notch products and customer service. YMMV

Iron
Old 10-11-2020, 03:36 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Rebarreled a Rem. 504 with a Lilja barrel many years ago, one of the Bench Rest shooters at the Club shot a .094 group with it at 50 yards a feat I could never best, frankly I found it incredible for a light porter. I have a Lilja barreled 455 Varmint that I use for long range shooting that I can occasionally manage a high .1's or low .2's with at 50 yards. They're good barrels, takes more than just a barrel though.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:11 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (260)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelPatina View Post
Would you be interested in selling it ?
To be in compliance with the rules here, Nickel, about not buying or selling via the forum, that kind of question belongs in a PM.

Doug
Old 10-16-2020, 08:55 PM
FunShot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The top bench shooter here uses custom lija barrels on his competition 10/22s, annies, and BR centerfires. He tried several tricked out kidd setups but he all sold them as they cant match with his lija setup. He regularly buys multiple lija barrels and has them worked and he would just choose one or two and sell the rest. These are not drop in lijas, they are custom made. His preferred setup and the one he regularly wins with with his 10/22 is a heavy 28 inch lija on a custom 10/22. This guy has a lot of money to spare and time to burn and has kind of an excessive compulsive behavior when it comes to his business and hobbies, it also helps that his house is just a stones throw away in arguably the top gun smith custom shop in our country.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:42 PM
timlt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
I own several Kidd barrels- 2 Supergrades & 5 Classic/slip fits. I own one 21Ē Lilja .920 barrel, in a dedicated BR stock. All are pillar bedded with Devcon & have Kidd tear tangs. I would give a very slight edge to my Lilja, but itís the only barrel in a BR stock. Mine was only $275 back when I bought it 7-8 years ago. Iíve read many threads on both, and I run all the shooting games in the Ultimate 10-22 forum.
Iíve seen some members with glowing reviews of both, and Iíve also seen some folks who were less than pleased with their Kidd and Liljas.
A barrel is a component in a system, and when you buy one from ANY manufacturer, you might get lucky and get a hummer out of the gate, but you might not.
Iíve returned or sold 3-4 times as many barrels as Iíve bought over the years, because they were not up to MY standards for base accuracy to warrant keeping.
The difference between my Kidd & Lilja? On the order of .00XĒ.

YMMV.

DrGunner

EDIT-my Lilja was a tight fit, and required ďthermal persuasionĒ to fit the Kidd receiver itís free floated in.

Do you have a specific process when you get a new barrel that you go thru to decide if it's a keeper? Like Loctit'ing it into a certain receiver, testing for precision below X group size @50y, etc.

I'd be interested to learn what specific metrics you consider to meet the bar of a quality barrel.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:15 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I would think that he probably installs the barrel into whatever receiver (no Loctite necessary) is being used for the build and drops it into a properly bedded stock. Then probably grabs a few brands of good match ammo and shoots them. If they're not capable of shooting under .25" @50 yards with good ammo then the barrel gets swapped out until you find one that does. Anyhow I'm sure Dr. G can tell you exactly what his method is but I'm guessing I'm in the ballpark.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:21 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlt View Post
Do you have a specific process when you get a new barrel that you go thru to decide if it's a keeper? Like Loctit'ing it into a certain receiver, testing for precision below X group size @50y, etc.

I'd be interested to learn what specific metrics you consider to meet the bar of a quality barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I would think that he probably installs the barrel into whatever receiver (no Loctite necessary) is being used for the build and drops it into a properly bedded stock. Then probably grabs a few brands of good match ammo and shoots them. If they're not capable of shooting under .25" @50 yards with good ammo then the barrel gets swapped out until you find one that does. Anyhow I'm sure Dr. G can tell you exactly what his method is but I'm guessing I'm in the ballpark.
Have you been spying on me???

Thatís REALLY close.
The first thing I do when I get a new barrel? Unpackage it and inspect it extensively with a borescope. I have purchased three barrels in the past but never even got to the installation phase, they were returned outright because of manufacturing defects.
If everything looks OK, I clean them thoroughly.
I will usually test a barrel in a proven action and stock combination that was pillar bedded and already has a good working barrel combination that can pull .25Ē at 50 with a few different types of ammo.
I happen to own 5 such rifles, one with a 20Ē fluted taper, two with 18 inch lightweight barrels, one with a 20 inch bull barrel, and one with a 21 inch bull barrel.
They vary somewhat in their overall accuracy, a couple can pull high .1Xs and low .2Xs with a few different flavors/lots of ammo, a couple of them are more in the .2 - .3 range, and one is quite exceptional to the point that I will likely be challenging first place in the 50 yard MOA games if I ever get around to bench shooting for score again. (3 fifty yard groups @ .150, 4 @ .170 average) Iíve come very close to beating that score more than once with that rifle but since Iíve been shooting smallbore silhouette, I find punching holes in paper all afternoon to be rather tedious.
Any new barrel that comes in for testing is tested on the base rifle with a barrel that closely matches the barrel configuration that Iím building the next one with, and when I find a keeper barrel, then I go through the process of pillar bedding the new action into a new stock with the barrel thatís already been tested on one of the other rifles. Iím sure someone will weigh in here and tell me that Iím doing it all wrong, but it works for me and thatís really all I give a crap about.
I install the new cleaned barrel, and test on several shooting days with multiple lots of SK pistol match, SK Pistol King, SK Rifle Match, Lapua CenterX, Lapua Midas+, Eley Edge, Eley Black Match, and Eley Tenex. Your guess of .25 inch at 50 yards is right on, if it canít do that after trying 2-3 different lots of the aforementioned ammo flavors with some minor tuning, it goes down the road.
I only have one 1022 barrel thatís glued in, because the counterbore was a slightly loose fit. It would have been fine with the V block snugged down but it is a great shooter so I wanted to keep it that way and cemented the barrel in place with Loctite 603. The rest are all interference fits that required thermal persuasion to mate the barrels to the receivers. Gluing them would be counterintuitive, making it unnecessarily harder to remove them should I want to swap a barrel out later.
Remember- itís a COMPONENT in a SYSTEM.
In case you were wondering, the highest barrel count that I ever went through looking for a keeper was seven. Yes, thatís right Ė I rejected six barrels before I found a keeper. Some of the barrels were pretty decent shooters so I gift-upgraded friendsí stock 1022s, some were sent back to the manufacturer, and some were sold on the open market.

DrGunner
Old 10-18-2020, 04:26 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner;1205995[QUOTE=Nick7274 View Post
Anyhow I'm sure Dr. G can tell you exactly what his method is but I'm guessing I'm in the ballpark.
Have you been spying on me???[/QUOTE]

Lol, no spying. I just figured the way I decide if a barrel makes the cut and figured your process probably wasn't all too different.