Ever recover a stolen gun? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:42 PM
LanceS4803
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguila9 View Post
It's not a waste of time. If you don't do it you will never get it back, at least if it's in the system you got a chance. Most of these criminals aren't known for their smarts.
Absolutely true!
Stolen property has been returned to the owner even 20 and 30 years later. Happens all the time.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:09 AM
Pmacaiman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had 10 handguns stolen when living in Columbus, GA. about 10 years ago, their information was properly supplied to my insurance and the police. My failure to keep my insurance up to date cost me plenty (my fault), the police made their weekly sweep of the local pawn shops and submitted the information to the Feds. A year latter they phoned me and said "found one of your guns if you can identify it you can have it, come down to HQ." I was handed a lump of mud, shown where they checked the S/N asked did I want it, I confirmed it was mine and left with the recovery story. Our FD Dive team was quitting practice drills for the day when one of the stepped on a pistol. Further search turned up several more. I store magazines away from my pistols, best I figure my S&W M41 was tossed because it didn't work, thanks to it's magazine dis-connector. A few days of intensive cleaning had it shooting and much TLC and a new set of grips had it looking not to shabby.
Nothing else has ever been recovered
Morals: skip the fourth gun and buy a good safe, my El Cheapo was prized open there in the house, TWO keep your insurance up to date and buy riders to cover guns where needed. Three keep a copy of data in print and electronic form off premises, keep a set on premises to hand to the initial investigators.

Last edited by Pmacaiman; 08-17-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spellinf & format.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:47 AM
henry0reilly
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before NICS, Indiana required all handgun transfers be registered at an FFL dealer. Many people didn't interpret the law that way and as far as I know failure to do so was not routinely prosecuted, but I'm sure that was the meaning and intent of the law.

I worked at a gun shop for a few years. One time a guy brought a gun he'd gotten from an individual at a gun show to sell on consignment. When it sold and the sheriff's office ran the numbers the gun came up stolen. Buyer got his money back, consignor was questioned about where he got the gun and the original owner got the gun back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2017, 02:52 AM
n2ri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My grandfather owned a store from 1936-1990 and sold guns. he had dozens stolen over the years but only 1 ever was found it was from a group of 19 pistols stolen from his store in central Missori a small 357 deringer found 2 years later in a crime bust in New York. they wanted more to return it to him than it was worth retail. so he left it. he also lost a couple hundred in a fire along with home, store and all contents. family heirlooms and over $2,000,000 in property with only $250,000 insurance so only half was rebuilt but business never recovered.

Last edited by n2ri; 08-17-2017 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 AM
singleshotcajun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In 1991 in Jackson.MS my home was burgled while I was in the woods muzzle loader hunting. Nice custom made wood and glass gun cabinet, full(boy we used to be stupid). Many rifles and shotguns stole along with handguns. I was such a Dudley that i did not want to have to explain to a game warden why I had a handgun on me or in my truck during primitive weapons season,so handguns stayed home including one I was still making payments on.
1996, got a call from JPD to come downtown to the evidence locker to ID some guns. I got two rifles and one shotgun back, none where any of the most expensive from my collection but fortunately they where of sentimental value. The guy running the locker attempted to give me a Marlin carbine that was like one I had stolen from me. With a wink and a nod He said "are you sure this aint it?" Just shook my head and left. I sure was proud to be an American walking the two blocks back to my truck toting two rifles and one shotgun
Old 08-17-2017, 09:20 AM
psimeone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Earlier this year I received a call from the CT State police. The Sargent told me that an S&W handgun I had recently purchased thru Gun Broker had been stolen in 1974 in upstate NY. I was to bring it to my local police station and they'd resolve the matter with the NY police. My local police explained that the NY police would determine if the pistol had used been used in a crime and I'd get the result. In two weeks I received a call from our local station. The gun had not been used in the commission of any crime, the original owner could not be found and I should come by the station and pick up my gun. Needless to say I surprised and pleased. My expectations were that there'd be interminable waits on a long bureaucratic prucedure.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:55 AM
pjcskip
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was recently contacted by the local PD, who had recovered by revolver (Ruger Super Redhawk, 44 mag) that I had reported stolen 26 years ago. Scope was gone, small crack in one of the grips, but otherwise perfect.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:58 AM
donw
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

in the high desert of southern kalifphornia
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i've had a number of firearms stolen

from me thru-out the years and none ever recovered.

five to be exact.

all were reported to police and insurance companies.

the two i miss the most are the model 70 in 270 win and the colt 1911 in 45 ACP.

here in California, it's difficult to get a recovered firearm returned even if you take all steps lawfully. a friend of mine had his Beretta 22 auto confiscated from his son by sdpd, who had taken it without his knowledge or consent, and he finally gave up trying to get it back after spending more than the pistol cost him on attorney and legal fees.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:10 AM
hi-vel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, it makes a difference! File the report

As an active LE, I have both recovered and entered firearms into NCIC. The firearms database is the ONE database in LE that never expires or purges. I have seen a firearm stolen in 1968 returned to its owner (now a quite elderly gentleman) over 40 years after it was stolen.

A strong piece of advice is to have the serial number, mfr and model written down for every firearm you EVER want back in case of theft. And don't rely on Fed or State registration- get off you %$#@! and write it down.

And for the curmudgeons out there- yes we have returned firearms to heirs as well.

But the sad part- several times a week we have people with nice firearms say "I don't know what the serial number is"- which means they probably never see it again. Sad.

Write it down NOW!
Old 08-17-2017, 03:27 PM
tbendtom
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gun insurance

Has anyone ever recovered the value of a stolen insured firearm? What insurance Co. was used? And what was the procedure used to satisfy the clam requirements?
I would like to get firearm insurance, but don't know what insurance Co. to go through, one that has a good track record of payouts??.Tom
Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Rugerforme

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I've had 2 stolen, well maybe one was lost but not by me. sorry a little long

My first Single-Six disappeared after an accident I was involved in back in 1983 when I lived in upstate NY. After the accident the Cop searched my Ramcharger when I asked him what he was doing he told me to get back over by his squad, told me “standard policy after an accident” (he witnessed the accident as he was sitting at the intersection to the right of me when I was rear-ended by a dump truck).
When the tow truck showed up I went to get my things and the Single Six was gone. I confronted the officer about it and he went off like a roman candle, saying there was no firearm in the vehicle when he searched it. And absolutely Refused to take a stolen gun report.

But the Sheriffs deputy who was at the scene was more than willing to do it. Told me he believe the cop that searched my truck took it. Told me you'll never get it back.

Second handgun despaired at Ruger. When I returned my New defective Redhawk .45acp/.45LC. The last scan was at Ruger in Newport, New Hampshire.
Ruger tried to tell me that they never received it.
So I called UPS and was told "If it was scanned, it was delivered". Drivers can't scan a package they don't have. Ruger made ME jump through hoops, I had to report it stolen at my local PD, Whom didn't think they should be taking the report since it was stolen in New Hampshire. Ruger made me wait and get a copy of the report before they would replace it. Took about 3 months
Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-vel View Post
Write it down NOW!
Just wanted to add that if you have insurance (I have renters) you have to check with them to see if your firearms are covered and for how much.

I lay them out on the bed, take pictures of make and model and S/N. Then the same for the scopes and accessories too.

I have over $300 of ammo too, is that covered?

I've had a computer for 30 years and automatically keep records of everything in spreadsheets: purchase, price, S/N, etc.
But don't forget that thieves would automatically take my laptop too so with every new purchase I print out my firearms record sheet and the pics.
I give copies of those records to a friend to keep for me.
And back things up to an external HD.

My first car was stolen and they didn't pay for the tools or camera I had inside the car. Home owners insurance would have paid but my parents didn't have any.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 PM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Once...

My favorite, one of the old deuce & a half Mod. 19s, bought back in the Seventies, was stolen out of my car in 2002. I reported it promptly; didn't file an insurance claim because the deductible was approximately the current value of the gun, and the amount the insurance company would have raised my premium was probably going to amount to nearly that much again over the next several years. It was apparently recovered by our local PD shortly thereafter. I received a letter asking if I would like to pick it up from the evidence vault...in 2008. No information was available on where or how it was recovered, nor why they'd held it for six years without any notification. The only thing the technician who brought it out could offer was that it had been there since 2002. It looked as if it had been test fired once and not cleaned. BTW, Las Vegas/Clark County at that time had mandatory handgun registration, the infamous "blue card" system, that should have made tracking me down a snap.
The ironic thing was that after five years of watching prices climb, I'd finally broken down and bought a newer Mod. 66, same configuration but with the RR front/WO rear sight combination, no recessed chambers and no barrel pin. It's a decent enough gun, and the stainless steel makes it a better CCW gun in our hot weather, but I've never been able to get the action quite as slick as the one on my old buddy the 19. There's a reason S&W called that one the Combat Masterpiece.

Last edited by JGR_LV; 08-17-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Plainsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heres a story, guy had his .454 stolen, saw it in a pawn shop 4 yrs later!
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threa...volver.202800/
Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 PM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Recalled another pair...

Back in the early 60s our next-door neighbor, a true gentleman of the old school, had his house burglarized. Among other things, JJ lost his two favorite target rifles, '03-A3s that had been modified (what we'd call today blueprinting plus new bolts modified to properly support the case web) to withstand handloads that were way out of standard spec, plus a large quantity of those same handloads. He figured they were gone for good, but the thief tried to sell them a day or two later at a local gun shop, Dutry's. He gave the store owner, who was also the gunsmith who'd done the work on them, a line about how he'd had them for years and hated to let them go, but times were hard, etc. Dutry recognized them instantly and told the burglar he was very interested but needed to go back and look up the value. As soon as he was in the back office he called the local PD who promptly showed up and grabbed the bad guy. Justice moved a little faster back then, and JJ had his rifles back within the month, as I recall. They never did recover the ammo, and JJ always hoped that when the burglar got out he'd try to shoot it in something not beefed up to hold it.