Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:00 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Almost done

Been workin on this a while,Just gotta finish up by adding a buttplate and doing some ammo testing beforte trying her in competition.It's and 82/83 1813 Supermatch in a nice Walnut Don Stith stock,had it pillar bedded and has a nice light tuner on the end to try,great 5018 trigger that I've adjusted down to benchrest lightness and added a nice vintage Tasco Japan 36X benchrest scope to it to aid in seeing those targets at 50 yrds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (173.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by tommyt654; 08-28-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:39 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Nice.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:17 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is there a reason your scope is set up that way, you shoot free recoil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt654 View Post
Been workin on this a while,Just gotta finish up by adding a buttplate and doing some ammo testing beforte trying her in competition.It's and 82/83 1813 Supermatch in a nice Walnut Don Sith stock,had it pillar bedded and has a nice light tuner on the end to try,great 5018 trigger that I've adjusted down to benchrest lightness and added a nice vintage Tasco Japan 36X benchrest scope to it to aid in seeing those targets at 50 yrds
Vey nice Tommy, you have a lot of fun with it!

Lee
Old 08-27-2019, 08:06 PM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks Lee,Now I have 3 benchrest rifles and 1 trigger finger,something will have to go,the other 2 shoot very well,I'm sure this one will as too.I should know in the next day or so and then 1 is gonna go up for sale as I need funds to pay surgery bills with

Tommy w/too many rifles n not enuff ammo
Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 PM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamokinbob View Post
Is there a reason your scope is set up that way, you shoot free recoil?
It’s a Calfee Thing

As I understand; it has to do with the belief that the aluminum scope and the steel action heat at different rates, which could cause distortion of the scope tube. If the rings are only on one side of the action port, the belief is that it negates this effect.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:21 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAllen View Post
Itís a Calfee Thing

As I understand; it has to do with the belief that the aluminum scope and the steel action heat at different rates, which could cause distortion of the scope tube. If the rings are only on one side of the action port, the belief is that it negates this effect.
Does anybody else know about that?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:36 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If your benchrest shooting is it really going to heat up enough to distort the scope, and besides aluminum dissipates heat faster
Old 08-27-2019, 10:48 PM
KyleAllen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
Does anybody else know about that?
I think they are referring to changes in air temperature.

There is additional information on his current forum. Here are a couple of links.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...e-mount-system

http://wwaccuracy.com/showthread.php...t-scope-mount&

http://wwaccuracy.com/archive/index.php/t-3774.html

http://wwaccuracy.com/forum.php

Last edited by KyleAllen; 08-27-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:00 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAllen View Post
I think they are referring to changes in air temperature.

There is additional information on his current forum. Here are a couple of links.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...e-mount-system

http://wwaccuracy.com/showthread.php...t-scope-mount&

http://wwaccuracy.com/archive/index.php/t-3774.html

http://wwaccuracy.com/forum.php
I didn't suggest that it was anything other than air temperature that was at play here.

The earliest link describing this scope mounting method dates to 2009. By 2016 (see the second link), Bill Calfee wrote the following about his atypical method of scope mounting:

"Before long, every serious RFBR shooter will be using my scope mounting system...

Because it works......

No serious RFBR shooter will discount the advantage of it, for any reason.....

It's one of those very simple things, that actually contribute to accuracy...."

Since I've never seen a rimfire benchrest match (indeed I've never personally seen another shooter shoot a .22LR rifle off a purpose-made rest), I ask those who do shoot competitively or witness such matches if the Calfee method of scope mounting is becoming more widely used.

Here's another picture of Calfee's scope mounting method

Last edited by Penage Guy; 08-28-2019 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Picture added
Old 08-28-2019, 12:37 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I did a little research on this method of mounting a scope when I first heard about it not that long ago. From what I have gathered most benchrest shooters don't seem to think it does anything to help their scores. A small percentage think the opposite. Either way nobody seems to think it has any negative effects so I guess it is just a matter of preference.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:38 PM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hard to say,I see some very good shooters in benchrest using it.This is just a test run for me to see if it really makes any noticable difference,It may on some rifles and may not on others.I have seen it used in competitions off of 1 piece as well as 2 piece rest to a degree that I would say benefitted those particular shooters rifle.It is a easy fix to swap back to the conventional style of mounting.

BTW,testing went very well this morning,so well I'm in a quandry as to which rifle to keep
Old 08-28-2019, 02:18 PM
03hdfatboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I thought one of the primary reasons to mount a bench scope this way was to put the scope as far aft as possible so the shooter can be more comfortable sitting behind the set up in free recoil.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:33 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I don't know if I buy it. I have had to do it on a couple of rifles that didn't have enough real estate to put my rings the traditional way. I shot just as bad as the normal way.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I did a little research on this method of mounting a scope when I first heard about it not that long ago. From what I have gathered most benchrest shooters don't seem to think it does anything to help their scores. A small percentage think the opposite. Either way nobody seems to think it has any negative effects so I guess it is just a matter of preference.
I could be mistaken, but I thought the reason for a single point mounting of the scope was to avoid bridging the the loading port(it can be in front or behind the port). it was said that as you cycled the bolt it can flex the action and cause pressure to be transmitted to scope tube and cause POA-POI changes, if the mounting bridged the port.

I do know it can alter the recoil and thus the tune on a rifle. I found this out

Lee

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 08-28-2019 at 07:38 PM.