Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Ratpaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reloading the 17 hornet

Hey guys, my mate is about to start reloading for my savage model 25 and my friends identcal rifle too.
He has bought a large supply of hornady zmax 20 grain projectiles and a good supply of Hogdon lilgun powder.
I have a friend currently shooting a cz in the same caliber and he's found the 25 grain to be more consistent.
My own rifle shoots the hornady 25 grain hollow point factory ammo very well, the vmax loaded stuff...not so well.
I'm hoping we can get the zmax projectiles to shoot well, by that I mean better than MOA.
What are others experience with these projectiles?
Thanks in advance...
Old 11-26-2019, 10:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Each arm has it's own likes. My 17 Hornet prefers the 20 grain bullet but over 1680. Personally a 1 inch or less group would seem a reasonable expectation. They are a fairly explosive bullet on gophers. Not total disintegration but there is no mistaking hits either.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:26 PM
dstoenner
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I have a CZ527 Varmint. The NTX 15.5 factory round shot the best in my rifle but it has only recently been made available as a reloading component. Here is a link to my post of results

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1177277

My 527's preference is in order

1) NTX 15.5
2) Berger 25 HPFB
then things get big for the remaining. Like over an inch
3) 20 VMAX (ZMAX is the same thing with a green tip)
4) 25 VMAX, 20 Nosler tipped.

I find that CFE-BLK to be the best and A1680 is almost a virtually identical results. But because copper in a 17 collects quickly I am sticking only to CFE-BLK to help keep it at a minimum.

YMMV

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Jeremy B
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 1680 powder is hard to beat with 20 grain bullets and I used H322 for 25 grain. There are a lot of posts at http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8 about the 17 hornet. There were some posts there about lilgun being heat sensitive and there wasn't any lilgun around 3 years ago when I was looking for powders for the 17 Hornet. My groups with 20 and 25 grain reloads were under 1/2" at 100