Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Thunderbeast 22 Take Down vs Dead Air Mask

11K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  bmwmc 
#1 ·
Looking for comparisons on the Tbac Take Down 22 and the Dead Air Mask specifically. Looking for information on which one has a deeper tone, better baffle durability, and ease of cleaning. Which is your favorite? Any information and opinions are appreciated.
JT

#6 · (Edited)
Well I can't offer deep experience but I can offer some quick disassembly info on the Dead Air Mask HD as I just recently bought one and had a chance to disassemble and view the internals prior to placing it "in jail" while I wait for my stamp.

The DAM seemed pretty simple upon disassembly with myself giving the DAM a solid thumbs up for the simple "clocking" detents in each of the internal baffles. Compared to my Griffin Rev45 .45 centerfire can which is more of a PIA to correctly align the reference indents . The key to simplified handgun can maintenance that i've learned is that you CAN'T get lazy on cleanings. If you do, you are in for a nightmare time of a cleaning. 22 rimfire being the WORST as far as quick building filth on the inside. I disassemble and clean my .45 can about every 100 rounds and it's pretty painless and simple. One year I shot several hundred rounds without a cleaning and it took me a week's worth of soaking the can in Aero Kroil to free up the seized internal baffles.

#16 ·
FINALLY my Dead Air Mask HD stamp came in ! I am TOTALLY impressed with the supression of the DAM. Firing super whimpy CCI quiets through my Ruger American bolt action is just hollywood quiet , all's I literally hear is the trigger click than a gentle air thump. Also picked up a Tippmann M4-22 and I fitted a Franklin Armory binary trigger. Heres some pics of my supressed "hosts"

#18 ·
I have an older SWT and a Mask, Mask had to go back to DA as it was at minimum diameter on the threads and would not fit a couple of my rifles, had to return the whole suppressor on their dime but they chose FEDEX ground. Took a week to get there, should be back Friday via UPS, that's a two week turnaround. Not impressed as it's their error.

As to how it works, it's great, much better than my old SWT.

#20 ·
Im in the same boat and i just added the griffin optimus micro but since it can be used on 5.56 and its just barely 2oz heavier than a mask. Still leaning towards the mask at the moment. I havent heard any of them in person.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Im in the same boat. Trying to figure out which one to get since ive never heard any of them in person. Leaning towards the mask at the moment but just seen the griffin optimus micro is only two ounces heavier and can shoot 223. I took the banish 223 out of my options because of the price difference and its a bit heavier. Really leaning towards just a. 22 can but it would be nice to throw it on the ar. Decisions decisions

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

#25 · (Edited)
There are lots of videos online that show the Mask, but they can't give you a true, full range experience of actually hearing what the suppressor sounds like that needs to be experienced in person. The mic just can't pick up the differences in tone and volume like hearing them in person.

The video you provided has a lot of background noise and still doesn't compare them side by side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.